2014 NFL Football Betting Thread

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For better or worse, I'm taking the over because I don't think this game fits the bill for either team's low-scoring games. Carolina have had low-scoring games against high-ranking defences (Detroit, Seattle) and poor offences (Tampa). Saints are a decent offence and a bad defence. See something similar on the flipside, Saints have only fallen short of 50 points twice this season, once against good defence (Detroit) and once against lousy offence (Minnesota).

Plus I think there might be an overreaction to the "Carolina only scored single digits last week / New Orleans has defence now LOL" narratives

Good/bad/otherwise logic?

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The last line I like, but the other stuff is baked into that 48 number already. Just know that Vegas typically shades lines against the over. They're typically the more square bet.

With Ingram healthy, I bet they pound him more than people think.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
7 is the line for how many "hands to the face/ Defensive holding will be called this game

120 is the line for all games this week... I'll have to take the over lol

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
7 is the line for how many "hands to the face/ Defensive holding will be called this game

120 is the line for all games this week... I'll have to take the over lol

That'll be twooo lol

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Well I won both bets tonight

Saints -3.5 Even

Parlay:

Saints -3.5 & Under 49.5 +267 I believe

G

guutox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice win by S3mper, some tips for sunday?

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Cardinals beat the cowboys out right (maybe)

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Rams beat the 49ers out right too @ +469

Whaat??

yupp

Maybe

probably not

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, I like the Rams a lot. Back when Jeff Fischer drafted Michael Brockers, he said "We have to win our division, and the best two teams in our division, Seattle and San Fran run the ball exceptionally well." Brockers is a run stuffing D-lineman.

So the Rams clearly design their team to beat the others I'm their division. I'll take that as a sign they might be undervalued within their divisional games.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Cardinals beat the cowboys out right (maybe)

Taking Baltimore +1 is a mistake for two reasons

1.) Steelers win this game by 14+

) If Steelers do win it's definitely not going to be a 1 point game so if you are going to take the Ravens I would wait itll the money line comes out.

With the Steelers new (about time) addition of a lovely 6'5 receiver freeing up AB and Le'veon Bell running and receiving along with the sure hands of Heath Miller I think they will become unstoppable..

If the defense specifically Cortez Allen is fixed and the pass rush stays where it has been the last two games the Steelers will win the super bowl. (If they can get past Denver) - Steelers play bad in Denver

I think the Steelers win by at least 10

Whaat??

yupp

100% in all my Sports betting this week (including the above) and last week about 90% in picking the winners without betting on them.

Feels good, run good please don't go.

S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
although the rams tried to give me a heart attack

D

davem86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Whaat??

yupp

Maybe

probably not

I so wanted to bet this. 49ers always seem tohave trouble with them.
3 of 4 for me yesterday made a few bucks. Lost the Jets game with spread:mad:

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm -2 units on the season, so maybe my advice is terrible. But here it is:

Carolina +6 - The common narrative is that the Eagles management thought Sanchez is better than Nick Foles anyways, and that Philly won't miss a beat with Foles out. That seems like insanity to me. Sanchez has 5.68 net yards per attempt and a 71.9 career passer rating. In a smaller sample, Foles has 6.71 and 94.2. The move to Sanchez is a downgrade, and this line should be 4.5. Of course, now Cam spends his night running for his life behind Carolina's collection of street free agents and undrafted rookies on the offensive line and my Panthers lose by 30.

Atlanta -1.5 - Uh... the Bucs are the worst team in the NFL by DVOA, and the Falcons are average. There is a bigger difference than 4.5 points here. Plus, I said earlier in the season that going from McCown to Glennon was an upgrade, and that turned out to be true. In Glennon's starts, he threw for 6.05 NYA and a 83.3 passer rating. In McCown's starts? 5.30 & 65.8. So for some reason, the Bucs are turning back to McCown, and this week, I'll be betting against them.

Miami +2.5 - Yep, still ridin' this train. Plus Nick Fairley is out, and interior pass rushers are probably the 2nd most valuable position in the NFL. Calvin Johnson coming back to hobble around as a decoy doesn't scare me.

Dallas -7.5 - Common sentiment among bettors is that this line would be -10.5 if Romo was healthy. A 3 point reduction seems like an over-reaction. Romo will take a cortisone shot, and be good for the game. Bryce Petty (Baylor QB) had the same injury earlier this year, missed 1 week, and then came back fine throwing a great game against the University of Buffalo. Dallas rolls in London. Plus, not even Londoners will cheer for the Jags right?

New York Jets +4.5 - Buy low/sell high pick here. The Jets have a new QB, and that improvement isn't priced in yet. The Steelers look like God's gift to football, but it's a week to week league, and it's harder to pull off that kind of beatdown on the road. Plus, the rout was aided by the refs against the Ravens. Anyone who doesn't believe you get more calls in your home stadium needs to watch last weeks Ravens @ Steelers game. (Note: in my betting pool, I have to take 5 teams. But there might only be 4 plays this week).

And I waffled between picking the Jets and the Saints over and over again. Here's the write up. I've written & rewritten which team I'm taking like 3 times each.

New Orleans -4.5 - Standard spread math here. Home field is worth 3 points (the Saints, maybe 3.5). The mini-bye is worth 0.5 points. Traveling east from the west for a 1PM game is worth about a half a point. 3+0.5+0.5 = 4. So Vegas people think the Saints are only a half a point better than the 49'ers? Are you kidding? The 49'ers rank 20th in DVOA, the Saints 11th. Half a point seems nuts.

I ended up not picking the Saints because I have to pay more vig (1.87 vs. 1.98), I'd be buying high on the Saints and selling low on the 49'ers, and most of the money is coming in on Pittsburgh, so the house will need the Jets (side with the house whenever possible).

Last edited:
S3mper

S3mper

Poker Not Checkers
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
-Tampa upsets the Falcons <--- I was unable to bet this game because I believe this is a 70% possibility - lol what? I'm just not trusting the Falcons with my money this year unless I'm betting against them.

-I have the Lions winning. Though this will be a very good game. I think it all depends on what you said, Calvin Johnson's ability. Is he going to be a decoy or is he ready to go.

I hate picking teams based on one player but Calvin Johnson is one I will. Also I think Miami will struggle offensively and their defense (a very good defense particularly the front 4) will get tired.

- I just don't know with Dallas, they are a team that tends to go from hero to zero and I think playing Romo is a mistake. Back pains are one of the worst pains for throwing the football and taking hits. Bills have a very good shot at winning was unable to bet the game. lol\

-Wowzors, Jets lose this game by 14+, New Qb or not, That defense gives up an average of 6 TD's the Steelers have scored I think 142 points in three games. Can the Jets offense score 42 points? because that's what they'll need

- I like the Saints. I said earlier I think the Saints are one of those teams that midseason will SHOW UP 6+ for the saints.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bets on for this week's games:

- Miami +3 (2.5 units)
- Atlanta WIN (2 units)
- KC WIN (1 unit)
- Arizona WIN (2.5 units)

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bleh, can't get a cover by the Dolphins... otherwise going smoothly.

D

davem86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I pretty much stunk it up with my picks today...
Won the Browns game tho. Dealio96 :p
Last hope is Carolina str8 up MNF!

Had NO -5 but the football flop was in full effect

V

vic75

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Had a good Sunday 4 out of a possible 4 wins Philly is unbeaten at home and has the 4th ranked offense in the NFL i think Sanchez plays well and they win by 10 points GL

c9h13no3

c9h13no3

Is drawing with AK
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
carolina +7 tonight
Ughhh... Carolina's offensive line is so bad. Fletcher Cox and Connor Barwin were just manhandling Carolina's line all night. And of course Mark Sanchez looked nothing like his butt-fumbling self. If last night doesn't make you believe that the head coach is the most important position in football, you clearly didn't see Chip Kelly turn Sanchez into a serviceable QB.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
See also Bruce Arians and his revolving cast of QBs this season? :p

W

we will rock you

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
like the bills to beat the dolphins on thursday night

alaz3r

alaz3r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
taking the saints moneyline tonight and the over good luck

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars