Golf

C

Cdub512

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
2 days until the US Open!! Should be a great week of golf. Hopefully all the big names show up and give golf fans a great 4 days!

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
World Golf Ranking into US Open

Luke Donald has a firm grip on #1 heading into the US Open. I wonder if anyone's done the math on Tiger 'if he wins the US Open'? What is his potential rise from #4? Good to see Dustin Johnson crack back into the top ten with his victory last week. Lots of drama to come, bring it on.
http://www.officialworldgolfranking.com/home/default.sps

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If Puke Donald can shoot nine under tomorrow he'll get back into the thick of it. He's currently tied with a 14-year old kid, no joke. Woods schooled Mickelson and Bubba today. The US Open is well known for shredding great players, this one is apparently no different with a leaderboard full of high scores.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can tell this US Open has been made artificially difficult by the USGA. There are tons of high scores - not making the cut are Luke Donald, Bubba Watson, Rory McIlroy, Dustin Johnson. Just the usual US Open freakshow, I suppose.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, they make it way too difficult. Just because players shoot rounds in the 60's doesn't mean the course is too easy - just fair.

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, they make it way too difficult. Just because players shoot rounds in the 60's doesn't mean the course is too easy - just fair.

How can it be too difficult if a 17-year-old Amateur is 2 shots off the lead?

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Been able to watch quite a bit of this years tourney, the USGA has certainly been known to trick things up now & then for the Open, but, can't say I see anything unfair about the course, or the setup.
Have been seeing some damn fine golf being played though.

Charade You Are

Charade You Are

you can call me Frost
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They always make it tough for the Open. Fairways and greens hard as rock, deep rough. They don't need to shoot 66, they just need to be under the other guys.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How can it be too difficult if a 17-year-old Amateur is 2 shots off the lead?
The fact that a 17 year old is hanging in there on a course like this at the US Open is testament to his ability. But does anyone really think the kid is better than Luke Donald, Bubba Watson, Rory McIlroy, Dustin Johnson, and the host of other pros that got shredded? My opinion - a tournament like this clearly doesn't show us who the best player in the world is, or the best in the US as possibly intended. I'm confused about the USGA's goal in this event. Here's a good argumentative thread I found pertaining to the subject: http://www.greenskeeper.org/forums/discussions.cfm?forumid=57&topicid=48904

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The fact that a 17 year old is hanging in there on a course like this at the US Open is testament to his ability. But does anyone really think the kid is better than Luke Donald, Bubba Watson, Rory McIlroy, Dustin Johnson, and the host of other pros that got shredded? My opinion - a tournament like this clearly doesn't show us who the best player in the world is, or the best in the US as possibly intended. I'm confused about the USGA's goal in this event. Here's a good argumentative thread I found pertaining to the subject: http://www.greenskeeper.org/forums/discussions.cfm?forumid=57&topicid=48904

The goal is to challange all aspects of a participants game, physical, mental, emotional.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The rough should be called 'the twilight zone' or something similar. I guess the winner will be the guy who hits fairways and greens. Nevermind putting if you're already wasting strokes from the fairway rough or around the green. Unless these guys are fat, or emotionally crippled, they've all been in big tournaments and high pressure golf situations. More specifically, this golf course is just another USGA monstrosity with Jurassic Period themed rough. Yes, it's a contrived golfing theme park simply intended to be different from any other golf tournament. The USGA has succeeded in being different, but they have failed to make the US Open a better overall tournament than the other three majors.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The rough should be called 'the twilight zone' or something similar. I guess the winner will be the guy who hits fairways and greens. Nevermind putting if you're already wasting strokes from the fairway rough or around the green. Unless these guys are fat, or emotionally crippled, they've all been in big tournaments and high pressure golf situations. More specifically, this golf course is just another USGA monstrosity with Jurassic Period themed rough. Yes, it's a contrived golfing theme park simply intended to be different from any other golf tournament. The USGA has succeeded in being different, but they have failed to make the US Open a better overall tournament than the other three majors.

I seriously hope you are not being serious here, if so I totally disagree.
The Masters is great because of the course.
The best of em all, The Open, is great because they mostly don't do anything & they play in any weather.
The PGA is a major because ..............ah, because, someone says it is, I guess.
The U.S. Open is contested on the toughest courses in the U.S., can you name any pro who thinks a PGA or Masters win is more important than a U.S. Open win? British Open has history on it's side & those who think It's the most important get no argument from me.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm also confused as to if grilldoggys post is serious?? if so i disagree and couldn't agree more with Kenzie.

I love nothing more than watching the crazy things that happen at the U.S. Open (Westwood's ball staying in a tree, LOL) and i think the more challenging the course the better. I'd rather watch guys struggle to make par than watch players shoot -20 and duke it out by who can make the most 5 foot birdie putts.

SmithGT

SmithGT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I love nothing more than watching the crazy things that happen at the U.S. Open (Westwood's ball staying in a tree, LOL) and i think the more challenging the course the better. I'd rather watch guys struggle to make par than watch players shoot -20 and duke it out by who can make the most 5 foot birdie putts.
Agreed. Congrats to Webb Simpson. I thought G-Mac was going to force a playoff with that last putt, but it wasn't even close. I was also surprised that the pressure seemed to get to Furyk. After that drive on 16 he went downhill.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most entertaining thing I saw happen was the imposter bird man that crashed the trophy ceremony/Bob Costas interview with Webb Simpson, which was the greatest moment in the 2012 US Open. Over par professional golf is the contrived invention of the USGA. They trick out courses to make 'their' tournament different. That's why you see kids who appear to be in contention, and older golfers who understand the grift and parlay it into a late career major Sunday run. Most of the World Top 10 either didn't make the cut, or failed to contend for the championship.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agreed. Congrats to Webb Simpson. I thought G-Mac was going to force a playoff with that last putt, but it wasn't even close. I was also surprised that the pressure seemed to get to Furyk. After that drive on 16 he went downhill.

I was rooting for Furyk to take it down since my fav (Mr. Mickelson) wasn't close. Yeah that drive on 16 was so crazy. Definately the pressure setting in on him. Also thought G-Mac was going to make that putt LOL at that thought though.

The most entertaining thing I saw happen was the imposter bird man that crashed the trophy ceremony/Bob Costas interview with Webb Simpson, which was the greatest moment in the 2012 US Open. Over par professional golf is the contrived invention of the USGA. They trick out courses to make 'their' tournament different. That's why you see kids who appear to be in contention, and older golfers who understand the grift and parlay it into a late career major Sunday run. Most of the World Top 10 either didn't make the cut, or failed to contend for the championship.

You didn't enjoy watching the 17 yr old leading the open? LOL ok well whatever floats your boat i suppose.

Sounds to me like your a Tiger Woods fan and your upset at this tournament for all the wrong reasons. Most people love it and the pro's i'm sure enjoy the challenge as much as the audience enjoys watching.

arahel_jazz

arahel_jazz

Unbalanced and Committed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

That's not why you see Amateurs placing in the US Open. Any other Pro tournament is closed to direct Amateur participation. That's why they have the "Pro/Am" days at regular tour events. The "Open" part of the Open is exactly that - if an Amateur qualifies - they can compete with the Pro's on a head-to-head basis.

The other flaw in your comment is that the USGA created a course that didn't play like other tour events. I think the USGA is tired of all the Pro's just bombing 350-yard drives and overpowering the courses. Note that all of the players in contention on Sunday were not the "long hitters" that typically dominate the tour. Golf is more than a driving range.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bird Man

Actually I enjoy seeing the youngest players, especially the amateurs, do well. I was pulling for the 17-year to win it if he could. In a USGA formatted tournament, there's a greater chance that amateurs and aging pros can win. Luck is a huge factor since the rough is grown out like a sailor's beard. I'm especially glad Jim Furyk didn't win - he was trying to par his way to victory (man, that's exciting).
There's no pro/am at The Masters, by the way.
As for the Tiger Woods thing, I'm more a fan of Mickelson, but I think the return of Tiger's game is great for golf. From 4th in the world, I think he defeated all others in the top ten except Lee Westwood. Despite Webb Simpson's victory, Woods is still ahead of him.
Here's the updated rankings: http://www.officialworldgolfranking.com/home/default.sps
Link for the Bird Man video and still photos - just look at the anger in the 'serious' USGA official who drags him off. FU USGA - this is the highlight of your wretched tournament:
http://blog.sfgate.com/ongolf/2012/06/18/video-bird-man-interrupts-u-s-open-ceremony/#ooid=ltdHYzNTobViraiSLbWjn9rUL4XEoNXs

Last edited:
A

andrewsz1991

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the rule regarding no carts? Just so the course stays in better conditions?

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think having a 670 yard par 5 increases an older golfers chance of winning.

Luck is a huge factor?????? omg. now thats just not fair man. can't take you serious anymore.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think having a 670 yard par 5 increases an older golfers chance of winning.

Luck is a huge factor?????? omg. now thats just not fair man. can't take you serious anymore.

Not sure what you mean by the 670 yard par 5 thing - they're all playing the same holes. But here is why luck is a huge factor: Growing the off-fairway and around-the-green grass tall as hell is the USGA's way of evening the score. All of the golfers are going to hit the ball there now and then. Their shots from that twilight zone are unpredictable. Therefore, golfers are going to lose strokes randomly. Witness that most of the best players and the top ten in the world didn't make the cut: #1 Luke Donald, Bubba Watson, Dustin Johnson, Rory McIlroy. Your buddy, PHIL MICKELSON, finishes at 16 OVER PAR! Ricky Fowler and Zach Johnson finish at 11 over. This is not normal, and clearly indicates that something is wrong.
I'm glad if you were entertained by this type of tournament, and I'm sure a lot of people were, based on sheer numbers.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have to agree. The more ridiculously hard you make the golf course, the more you even the playing field and turn it into more of a lottery.

Even great shots need some luck in that situation - a lucky or unlucky bounce here or there could put a great shot off the green, or put an average shot next to the pin.

As you said, for so many GREAT golfers to struggle so terribly turned this into a lottery at the end of the day.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have to agree. The more ridiculously hard you make the golf course, the more you even the playing field and turn it into more of a lottery.

Even great shots need some luck in that situation - a lucky or unlucky bounce here or there could put a great shot off the green, or put an average shot next to the pin.

As you said, for so many GREAT golfers to struggle so terribly turned this into a lottery at the end of the day.

Well put. This is the sort of thing that divides golf fans. I'd rather see a tournament course that is reasonably and logically designed, and I don't think this course was either of those. Why can't they just stage a great event? They're too obsessed with making their event unique.

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I guess to each their own then, because personally i thoroughly enjoy both the U.S. Open and the Masters equally.

thesoxwin

thesoxwin

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is the rule regarding no carts? Just so the course stays in better conditions?

They are trying to keep the physical aspect in the game. Walking 4-5 miles a round, whether injured or not, they want you to finish your round. The case of Casey Martin was a little different, in that he was born with a birth defect, which didn't allow him to walk , without great pain. When he hit the tour, they didn't want him to play, because he needed a cart to compete. I actually lost a lot of respect for Jack Nicklaus , because of his statements about Martin. Martin won the case, as he should have.