grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tiger-ish

I agree.

He's being very smart as well in choosing his tournaments, in a way exploiting the world ranking algorithm the way Woods did when he was #1 and as many pros do now as well (McIlroy, Day etc.)

Not even saying this derogatively, as I would do this as well. He's reducing the tournaments he plays as playing the minimum number of events needed to lower his divisor is his smartest route, as well as playing in tournaments which allot a lot of points to 1st: Genesis, WGCs, majors, Players etc.

I remember the same about Tiger, at least that was my impression at the time. Not playing all the tournaments, not playing the most tournaments, but winning a lot of those that he chose to play. Doesn't hurt to win a few majors in between, and that's what defines the career ultimately.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Speith missing the cut at Houston is a bit of a surprise and won't do his confidence any good going into next week. I'm less inclined to bet on him now.
Stenson, Westwood, Adam Scott, Patrick Reed also all posted miserable scores and I won't be going any where near them either.
Jason Day and Bubba W are out of form so it looks like its going to be the DJ show with Fowler, McIlroy, Mickleson and Rose floating in the mix somewhere. I notice Cabrera has dusted off his clubs and gotton in a couple of decent rounds prior to next week, he's always been a great horse for the Augusta course.
So who else,... Sneds has had some patchy good form and plays Augusta well. Same with Paul Casey. Justin Thomas form at Augusta unknown and recent form slipping . Hadwin and Rahm will presumably be Augusta rookies and need time to settle into the course.

My top 5, DJ, Mickleson, Fowler, McIlroy, Speith
6-10 Rose, Sneds, Casey, Rahm, Cabrera(!) .

Last edited:
I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am totally on board with your reasoning figaroo. Similar top 10 for me.

I'm going with Rose, DJ, Fowler, Casey and McIlroy in top 5

I think that Hoffman, Sneds, Rahm, Hadwin (gotta be biased somewhere), and Matsuyama are 6-10.

I'm just praying for a made cut from my man Mike Weir

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm betting on;
Rickie Fowler to win (small bet, I think he's the best value on current form)
Mickleson to finish top 5 (chunky bet)
Sneds to finish top 10 (chunky bet)
Cabrera to finish top 10 (small bet, bit of a punt tbh, had a great H in 1 last week)
Rose to top the leaderboard end of day 1 (small bet)

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm taking odds to win on Mickelson and JB Holmes, both pay out fairly good. Breaking news on DJ - took a fall down stairs at his rental home, back injury.

M

Marginal

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I need to share my master's betslip but I will warn, its a bit mental.

Total of 41 bets made....

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm taking odds to win on Mickelson and JB Holmes, both pay out fairly good. Breaking news on DJ - took a fall down stairs at his rental home, back injury.

Yeah I saw this news, its terrible for DJ and the tourny and upsets the dynamic. A lot of players will probably be happy about the fav not being right.

Marg I don't think I've seen you in the golf thread before. Lets have a look at these 41 bets then.

Re Mickleson, I really fancy him making a good fist of it this week, time is running out for him and I think he knows it but he still has the short game to dominate at this course. Its all about the long game control for him.
Hmm not sure about JB, he's had plenty of chances to shine here before and don't recall him finishing near top of leaderboard.

I'm rooting for the English lads Fitzpatrick and Hatton they are both good putters and easily good enough for a top ten, as is Casey as well.
I heard that Willet isn't expecting to play well, I find it a little odd that his form has totally fallen away as he was being very consistent prior to last years win. It seems like he reached a pinnacle and the fire has gone out, someone needs to kick his ass into gear.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok so JB with tied 4th last year.....I don't remember him getting much coverage, same with Casey and Fitzpatrick also shooting 67 finishing top 10 and hardly getting a mention.

ribbybruno

ribbybruno

Skadoosh!!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some interesting Japanese players I have never heard of playing - Hideto Tanihara and Yuta Ikeda

I see Ernie Els is playing. Is this his 23 Masters?

Nobody like Sergio Garcia or Vijay Singh? I made no wagers but these are my 2 dark horses.

Good luck on your bets gentlemen!

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some interesting Japanese players I have never heard of playing - Hideto Tanihara and Yuta Ikeda
I see Ernie Els is playing. Is this his 23 Masters?
Nobody like Sergio Garcia or Vijay Singh? I made no wagers but these are my 2 dark horses.
Good luck on your bets gentlemen!

Tanihara played really well at the recent matchplay getting to the Semi finals I believe. Still pretty unknown to me.
The head of the Japanese money list probably gets an invitation to the Masters. Matsyama is vastly overpriced for this as his form has dipped recently.
Leishman is my dark horse.

Els and Singh are past their best now. Ernie was unlucky not to win this tournament he had years of top 5 finishes in a row. In particular the year Mickleson one his first Masters when he made 7 birdies in 9 holes to pip Els by 1 shot.
Garcia still has the game but putting has been his achilles heel his whole career and I don't think he can win the Masters unless someone literally hands it to him. You just can't see him holing that crucial putt when its needed, same with Westwood (look at the mess he made of the 16th last year....3 putt bogie when he'd just put himself right back in it with the eagle on 15)
You have to be able to putt well on this course its why its so easy to win money betting on this tournament as so few have the ability to cope with the greens and why the likes of Crenshaw and Olazabal both won here twice but never featured in other majors.
The likes of Speith and Day will be featuring here for years, I actually fear McILroy my also never win it if he doesn't do it in the next couple of years, his putting isn't going to get much better.

Last edited:
I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have Charley Hoffman in a lot of the fantasy pools I'm in. Heck of a start from him.

Lots of big names that are quite a bit over par. Scoring may be even worse tomorrow, as the course gets firmer. Cut around +7 probably, with the 10 shot rule having no effect (unless Hoffman really screws the pooch).

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hoffman and Garcia, great picks. Had the notion to take Sergio, but didn't act on it. My JB Holmes picks isn't working out, but Mickelson remains in contention despite some bad luck with the putter. How about 57 year old Freddie Couples, in contention heading into Saturday!

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My nerves are shredded already, its so difficult.
Hoffman holding up well.
Cheering for Fowler (money bet), Rose and Garcia.
Rose's swing is just unbelievably good.
Speith looking good as well, he's the boss of the moss.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So pleased for Sergio, never thought he'd do it but really happy he has.

ribbybruno

ribbybruno

Skadoosh!!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I guess I should have bet on it. LMAO! :) Nice to see him win a major after all these years. Green jacket to boot!

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips

Same here. Been a long time coming. Well done Sergio.

My money was on Adam Scott, because of the Kiwi connection (caddy). Poor first day made it hard, but he managed to get back into contention for the final day, which gave me some hope. Wasn’t good enough in the end.

Garcia and Rose both played great golf on the final day.

Last edited:
grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sergio went for it and got the eagle on 15, gutsy. He's not the best putter, but his game is more complete than JRose. One time rival of Tiger Woods - but at least his career is still alive.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wesley Bryan Taco Bell doppelganger:
wes-use.jpg

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tiger Woods deserves to be No.1 says Playful

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know Fig, he was ready to go up to the last minute, supposedly. Would sure be big news if it could be proven that he lied.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't know about you guys, but I'm having a hard time getting into this year's Zurich tournament. The 'team' format is a lot harder to follow. Not enjoying the coverage at all.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So if rumour is correct I'd expect to see DJ withdraw from Wells Fargo shortly claiming that the back still isn't right. I can't see what other story they can run with now. Then to be followed by that announcement of back surgery and out for the rest of the season. We shall see I actually hope I'm wrong.