Correct to remove Russia from international sport?

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
kick all russian men and women off the pro tennis tours

that would quickly put more pressure on Vlad Putin !

pescaofish

pescaofish

Academic Poker
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
In Addition they should be suspended fron the United Nations, since they do not Respect International Laws. :deal:

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You're right. I really don't understand much about world politics and how things really are. Here I express my opinion and my vision of the situation. People who discuss different topics here are not experts in these topics. And that's okay.
I believe that we are discussing this topic in order to hear each other, and not to block everyone whose opinion is slightly different from what the official television broadcasts.
If you think that I am not worthy of discussing this issue because I have not seen the links you are talking about, so be it. Let's not continue this conversation.

But I'll say it again. I am against this war in Ukraine. Unlike many, I have relatives in Ukraine with whom I have good relations and we continue to communicate. You just see only one point of view. In fact, everything is not unambiguous there, and the roots of this problem are very deep.

You say: "No to war!" - and I agree with that. You say "No to lethal nuclear weapons!" - and I agree with that too.

I appreciate the reply but would also like to note no one is blocking you or your replies.

The reason I/we are passionate about this issue is a great injustice has been done and I will accept any and all levers (sanctions) be used to make the Russian nation assume collective responsibility.

In day to day life I understand enduring an authoritarian government is problematic and often the best course of action is to accept that reality. However, there is a line which has been crossed by Putin. I can understand why many Russians are not going to rise up and contest his authority. But, they should understand why sanctions are being laid against them. Whether they like it or not Putin does represent Russia and the Russian people.The West needs to diminish his power which is obviously now out of control. The only way they can do this without escalating the violence is to let all Russian people know he has undermined both world security and consequently life for the average Russian. The ball is now literally in the Russians people's court.

That said I am happy to agree with you if we both say we are against both wars and nuclear arms.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
In Addition they should be suspended fron the United Nations, since they do not Respect International Laws. :deal:

The core issue here is this will never happen.

Russia (presently) head the UN Security Council and are a permanent member simply because they are a nuclear power. Until recently I was unaware Russia became a member of the Security Council as the USSR and even after the USSR fell apart, the UN never reviewed their membership as they still remained a nuclear power.

It is a nightmare scenario which likely will never be resolved, or certainly not in the foreseeable future.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I see from a lot of post's that people refer to historic events in the past, Korea, Viet Nam, Syria, Afghanistan, etc. etc.but the fact remains that we can look back on History and learn from mistakes.
No one welcomed the American troops back home from Viet Nam because the masses in America didn't want the war, and they felt alienated in their own Country.
They were following orders from the President at the time nothing more, and they really didn't want to be there any more than the rest of the American people wanted them there.
We are lucky in the respect that we have history to learn from, If Putin follows through and uses his Nuclear arsenal there may be nobody left to write about it, America did not threaten the World with their Nuclear Weapons when they fought in any conflict since the 2nd WW.
America lost in Viet Nam but they didn't resort to bombing the hell out of the place, Putin just might do so because he has already threaten to do it, or is that just another of his lies.
Ukraine got their freedom and the right to govern themselves by giving Russia their Nuclear weapons back with the promise that they would be left in peace and Russia would not invade?
What changed? Are the Ukrainians on the verge of being a Nuclear Power themselves? and Russia doesn't like it?
I don't know, but what I do know is many people in Ukraine have Parents or Grandparents that fought the Nazi's during the 2nd WW along with the rest of the Russian people because they were part of Russia, it is so easy to forget some things in History and remember other things that are less pertinent.
People moan about Sportsmen and Women being excluded from International events because the West are punishing Russian people for one man's actions, they are attempting to show Putin the error he has made, peacefully without resorting to firing Nuclear Missiles in his direction, or would the Russian sportsmen prefer that resolution?
You do not save people with Bullets and Bombs! and if the Ukrainians wanted saving from a Dictator they would be showering the the Russians Troops with flowers, not running to Poland and other bordering Countries. If Putin really wanted to rescue the Ukrainian People, he only needs to pull out the troops and stop killing Women and Children.

Akuana

Akuana

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I appreciate the reply but would also like to note no one is blocking you or your replies.

The reason I/we are passionate about this issue is a great injustice has been done and I will accept any and all levers (sanctions) be used to make the Russian nation assume collective responsibility.

In day to day life I understand enduring an authoritarian government is problematic and often the best course of action is to accept that reality. However, there is a line which has been crossed by Putin. I can understand why many Russians are not going to rise up and contest his authority. But, they should understand why sanctions are being laid against them. Whether they like it or not Putin does represent Russia and the Russian people.The West needs to diminish his power which is obviously now out of control. The only way they can do this without escalating the violence is to let all Russian people know he has undermined both world security and consequently life for the average Russian. The ball is now literally in the Russians people's court.

That said I am happy to agree with you if we both say we are against both wars and nuclear arms.

Thanks for the answer.

Thanks to the administration for the opportunity to express an opinion, even if it is unpopular and seems absurd. I appreciate this site and appreciate our community.
I did not want to start this conversation at all and I would like to stay away from another topic about Russia and Ukraine. Yesterday I was ashamed that I wrote this. Sometimes it is very difficult to control our emotions, but we must remain reasonable.
I started this conversation not because I want to share my propaganda with you. Do not justify Russia. I just want the Russians not to be seen as bloodthirsty killers. I don't want personal hate.
However, I perfectly understand the sanctions and condemnation that were directed towards Russia. I'm not saying it shouldn't be. It is right.
If another country invaded any country, I would condemn it and support any sanctions against the aggressor.
But once again I want to note that this war did not start because the Russians wanted to kill. The reasons for this war are very deep and it will be difficult for a foreigner to understand. I condemn this war, I want it to end as soon as possible. To have as few casualties as possible among the people. But I understand why it started. There are too many ambiguous moments that are difficult to explain to a foreigner. And it's not required. I'm not trying to justify Russia. I understand Ukrainians who have come to hate Russians. I understand foreigners who condemn Russians. I would have done the same if I were in their place. But I also understand the Russian state that has taken such terrible actions. And realizing all this, it becomes very sad.

Forgive me if it's hard to read this text, because. I don't speak English very well.

A

alabos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Poutine dont care about this......he will continue the war till the end.......so its the citizen who will pay for the war .......its not correct in this way too ban the athlete or the russian citizen for all in the world........its my opinion

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am seriously at a loss as to why the whole world is so set up. I seriously believe that sports should not be intertwined with politics. We were not brought up that way.

If your nation banned from sports, it means sports are the part of politics.

I am against all forms of the wars, and you are right on that in my eyes, that you are the only one in the spotlight. But so many countries have been killing people just to prove their authority, or let them starving, living in impossible life-conditions which is definitely not right too. World need to change, and will change, just what prize?

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In poker, for example, Russia is a very important market and without russians some of games will die, like SnG and tournament GTDs will decrease drastically.

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Thanks for the answer.

Thanks to the administration for the opportunity to express an opinion, even if it is unpopular and seems absurd. I appreciate this site and appreciate our community.
I did not want to start this conversation at all ....

Again, let me express my appreciation also for you taking the time to clarify yourself as now I genuinely feel we are coming to common ground!

Please take comfort in this - we are aware many Russians are not for aggression, but that all Russians will be caught up with the sanctions. It is an impossible situation and all anyone can do is hope that it comes to an end soon.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Here's an Argument for "YES"

f2f62521a524635ddfb543a995c94150.png

This proud Russian is on the podium next to a Ukrainian at a World Cup Gymnastics competition (their ban started after this competition).

Whompus

Whompus

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It sucks for the athletes. They've put on alot of work the past 4 years plus. The Olympics is what they ate training for, it's all some of them have got as far as competition goes. Let em compete, don't hold them back because of Putin's dumb ass.. they can't control him or where they were born. So let em in.

C

Canwai

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Russian players could even get more bad beats.
All this that is happening is terrible, nobody wants a war. This is the height of ignorance.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think its right to remove them, I feel bad for the athletes, but feel worse for the people of Ukraine.

Rui Ferreira

Rui Ferreira

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I am not in favor of banning athletes because of war, wars are caused by politicians and not by athletes, in addition to the invasion of other countries and there was no banning of athletes from the invading country, I am in favor of economic sanctions to the invading country

namvidnee

namvidnee

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely the world will never be the same. Athletes return. Time must pass

Michel_11

Michel_11

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Now I read that pokerstars has suspended their operations in Russia. I don't know how it will happen in practice, if there won't be a gap and the players will continue to play.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Actually, the sanctions hve the opposite effect in Russia, they are already breaking the economy, but, it's stil working, why? People are killing themselves at work to make that happen. Don't think that russians will invade Kremlin just because the west was punishing them. There are more and more supporters of Putin's regime, remember how the nazi germany started? Sanctions after the first WW made them reunite under an extremist ideology. Today, I won't state how is thinking Vlad, but the majority, and the biggest majority are sane, and trying to do the things right. The problem is that more and more won't care about what happens in the west, as it has been destroying, for years, their ecenomy. These will make a big rising of nationalists and extremists. And in the future, if it will not be Putin, it will be another one. There is a very nice french film, that illustrates how dumb is the "action, reaction" answer. "Les Choristes" .

Just as it's a thread about sports sanctions, these are also playing a huge part. But I think it's better to ban from olympics the flag, than giving no chance to sportsmen/sportswomen to compete. I think it's a quite honest decision. The only thing that is insane, is that russians, that are no living anymore in Russia, artists, have their concerts cancelled.
I was a little surprised to see someone here with an understanding of history in this regard. Most are too busy trying to agree with the perceived consensus and virtue signaling to understand this. Russia is nothing like Iran. The sanctions against citizens which do nothing regarding the war are simply going to show Russian citizens what a bunch of jackasses the West is. Making life hard for them is going to rally them to the national cause. Putin goes to war and you take away Big Macs? Sounds pretty silly to thinking people. It's especially silly when you realize the US didn't import oil from Russia a year ago, but we have padded Putin's war coffers to the tune of 600 million dollars in the last year in the name of, well nobody really knows because foreign oil burns just as dirty as domestic. Oh, and did you see today's news? Biden says the Ukraine crisis shows the US needs to be energy independent. What's that you say? I'm not sure why Biden doesn't just announce he will adopt Trump's entire policy but refrain from mean tweets at this point. Fairly strange we would want to give Russia lots of money for oil in the last year, but hey, no chicken nuggies for you!!! People have no idea what conditions led to WWII other than Hitler was crazy. The economic devastation caused by the fallout of WWII (payback, sanctions) directly led to the conditions that made Hitler's rise possible. People just don't want to do nothing at all, and they don't want to join the fight, so they ask corporations and governments to make life hard. I sure hope it works quickly (it won't) so we don't see an explosion in anti west sentiment. Another major factor to consider is China. Do people think China will sanction Russia? hahahahaha. Nope, they will simply become irreplaceable trade partners and grow in influence with each other. Sounds wonderful doesn't it?

P

ppartizan2

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think its very incorrect because by dragging politics and war into sport doesnt change anything,it just gets worse.

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Absolutely correct. Russian people are war criminals, their reputation is on the similar level to Germans in 1939-45. Many Russian CardsChat members support Putin's actions, they should be banned, reputation of CardsChat is already got damaged because of neutrality.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Absolutely correct. Russian people are war criminals, their reputation is on the similar level to Germans in 1939-45. Many Russian CardsChat members support Putin's actions, they should be banned, reputation of CardsChat is already got damaged because of neutrality.
Gross, that's just xenophobic. The attack on cardschat is unwarranted to say the least. How does banning russian citizens from a free forum affect the war effort? The germany comparison is pretty rich considering actual history and significant fringe elements that exist.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips

Many eh? I'd imagine i definitely know atleast 2 of them ...
Anyway for these individuals giving enough ideas for jokes is probably bigger punishment for them ...

Also i kinda wouldn't mind if russia participates in EURO24 qualifiers as long as they're forced to visit us. This way they'd be guaranteed a nice welcome. By police special forces obviously.

J

jj6m

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes yes yes. Only russians can can bring Putin down. so everything that promotes civil unrest is neccessary. Call it collateral damage

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Gross, that's just xenophobic. The attack on cardschat is unwarranted to say the least. How does banning russian citizens from a free forum affect the war effort? The Germany comparison is pretty rich considering actual history and significant fringe elements that exist.

I was super tolerant to russians all that time since I joined forum in 2016. Not anymore. I have all reasons and rights to disrespect them and people who protects them.

Uncountable numbers of innocent people got killed or injured by Russians and Belarussians already and it will be worse every day.

My mom got ill because of stress and can't sleep because of air raid sirens.

You and everybody else who defends war criminals and terrorists and accuse peaceful free people must be banned and judged.

Recent data shows 71% of Russian people support Putin's actions so they are criminals too and must respond too.
Almost all companies of the free world already implemented sanctions, suspended or frozen accounts or left Russian market mostly because they don't want huge reputational losses.

Last edited: