Ongoing Soccer Thread

T

ThunderPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
who do you guys think is better? Cristiano Ronaldo or Lionel Messi?

Tougher question than it seems. If we watch them both regularly playing for Real Madrid and Barcelona respectively, we'll find Messi is a level above. Ronaldo is immensely talented but Messi kind of does things more naturally, he makes everything look so easy. However, Messi benefits a lot from playing in the best team in the world, having players like Xavi and Iniesta behind helping him, it's a lot easier for him to shine. I think a team like that, with other great players and set up the way it is, is essential to bring out the Messi we know and that's why we don't quite see the same player when he plays for argentina. Ronaldo is more complete, he's physically stronger, he's better in the air, and what he does he can do whatever the situation is. What I mean is, if we dropped them both in amateur teams, Ronaldo would make more of a difference in his team than Messi.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol it's messi for so many reasons

rotty

rotty

I triple dog dare ya
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
And btw LIVERPOOL!!!!!
How immense was Suarez today? I know Kuyt got all the goals but Suarez created all of them(including the nani one).
Am I a bad person to feel joy when I see Nani cry? :D
not at all, i would like to see Nani cry alot more for the last matches of the season :p

Liverpool :party:

manu994

manu994

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tougher question than it seems. If we watch them both regularly playing for Real Madrid and Barcelona respectively, we'll find Messi is a level above. Ronaldo is immensely talented but Messi kind of does things more naturally, he makes everything look so easy. However, Messi benefits a lot from playing in the best team in the world, having players like Xavi and Iniesta behind helping him, it's a lot easier for him to shine. I think a team like that, with other great players and set up the way it is, is essential to bring out the Messi we know and that's why we don't quite see the same player when he plays for Argentina. Ronaldo is more complete, he's physically stronger, he's better in the air, and what he does he can do whatever the situation is. What I mean is, if we dropped them both in amateur teams, Ronaldo would make more of a difference in his team than Messi.

that is probably what I would say, Messi´s team mates are much better than ronaldo´s ones. And Messi doesnt show the same level when playing for Argentina, that is true too.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah because Alonso,Kaka,Higuain,Ramos and co are absolute garbage :D.
Honestly putting the Barcelona and Real Madrid squads side by side and evaluating player per player Real probably have the better individuals imo.
Difference is Barca play as a unit where as Real all seem to be prima donas more interested in hair products and doing Pepsi commercials then actually playing footy.

T

ThunderPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah because Alonso,Kaka,Higuain,Ramos and co are absolute garbage :D.
Honestly putting the Barcelona and Real Madrid squads side by side and evaluating player per player Real probably have the better individuals imo.
Difference is Barca play as a unit where as Real all seem to be prima donas more interested in hair products and doing Pepsi commercials then actually playing footy.

What the hell do pepsi commercials have to do with it? Messi's in them too...

And no, Real don't not have players like Xavi and Iniesta in their team. Kaká and Ozil are purely offensive and don't have the same ability to pressure opponents and regain the ball quickly when the team loses the ball. That's how Barça come up with sick percentages of ball possession time every game, it's not just how well they pass and keep the ball, it's also how quickly they regain it thanks to their midfield players. Xabi Alonso is simply not at the same level. But the most important thing is really the way the team plays and I mentioned that as well. Just look at Argentina, they have a sick squad as well and yet you don't see Messi doing so well (not that he's bad there, he's still great, but not inhuman like at Barça).

On other topic, with Birmingham winning the League Cup and qualifying for the Europa League, there are only 6 spots left (4 Champions League and 2 EL spots), one of them to be awarded to the FA Cup winner. Anyone else is excited with the prospect Liverpool missing European football entirely next season? Of course they can still qualify by winning the Europa League this season.

T

ThunderPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
CSKA Moscow 0-1 FC Porto
Braga 1-0 Liverpool
Benfica 2-1 Paris SG

3 in 3, perfect day for the portuguese teams in the Europa League!
:beer:

Swear Engine

Swear Engine

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On other topic, with Birmingham winning the League Cup and qualifying for the Europa League, there are only 6 spots left (4 Champions League and 2 EL spots), one of them to be awarded to the FA Cup winner. Anyone else is excited with the prospect Liverpool missing European football entirely next season? Of course they can still qualify by winning the Europa League this season.

I'd love Liverpool to miss out. :)
As for Birmingham, their place could still be in doubt if UEFA decide their finances are too questionable. Hopefully either ManUre, Arsenal, Citeh or the Brummies(surely not an unlikely double?!) will win the FA Cup and free up another European slot for a fast finishing Everton... actually with the injuries to most of our best players we need a miracle.

CSKA Moscow 0-1 FC Porto
Braga 1-0 Liverpool
Benfica 2-1 Paris SG

3 in 3, perfect day for the portuguese teams in the Europa League!
:beer:

Hmmm, they don't travel too well though do they? Porto look good, that result in Moscow is excellent. But Braga on their travels are an entirely different proposition to when they play at home. PSG won't be too unhappy with a 2-1 loss in the away leg either but that one's gonna be a close one imo.

T

ThunderPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually Benfica got the same result they did against Stuttgart and then went on to finish the job in germany with a 2-0 win. PSG is stronger opposition, but Benfica should still do enough to go through. They just seem kind of immature when it comes to European knockout ties and don't come into their home games the way they should and for the second time they conceded an early goal. One day that will prove costly but this time they still managed to turn it around to 2-1 and I can't see Benfica not scoring in Paris so I'm fairly confident. Btw, Benfica will pretty much play at home there too, there's a huge portuguese community in Paris and they'll fill the parc des princes for sure. Actually, the record for away support in european competitions belongs to them when they had 40.000 fans in the Stade de france a few years ago against Lille.

When it comes to Braga, the result is better but it'll be tougher. Such a shame Braga couldn't score the 2nd goal, if that volley by Sílvio had gone in it'd be a candidate to goal of the season and Braga would be in a much better position. Still, Liverpool had troubles to score against Sparta Prague and Braga is more than capable to score at Anfield, so why not? Gerrard will miss out again, while Vandinho will be back for Braga. It'll be tough, but at least the dream is alive now, before yesterday I really didn't believe in Braga as they've been quite disappointing domestically this season.

And Porto just has to avoid a disaster to eliminate another of the original main candidates to win the trophy (after Sevilla). No easy draws for Porto, I'm already expecting Villarreal in the quarters...

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
No easy draws for Porto, I'm already expecting Villarreal in the quarters...

I don't think Villareal are through yet.

Leverkusen didn't play badly at all but had an atrocious day in the defense.

Almost every trie of VR was a goal.

Chances of Leverkusen are remote for the 2nd game but not nil.

T

ThunderPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmmm, they don't travel too well though do they? Porto look good, that result in Moscow is excellent. But Braga on their travels are an entirely different proposition to when they play at home. PSG won't be too unhappy with a 2-1 loss in the away leg either but that one's gonna be a close one imo.

They seem to travel alright:

PSG 1-1 Benfica
Liverpool 0-0 Braga
FC Porto 2-1 CSKA Moscow

All through! :D

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol yeah saw that the other day, he's amazing

In other news, Sol Campbell is as mobile as an oil tanker and Ameobi is... interesting to watch. So nothing new there then

Martin

Martin

Scokyl's Scoundrels
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yep not sounding too good, about time Ranger got a run in the team

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Our defence and Harper are apparently still in the dressing room. In all honesty we were on top after they scored, comfortably so, game over now though.

Oh and yeah, no reason not to give Ranger a shot

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Campbell should never wear a Newcastle shirt again

Martin

Martin

Scokyl's Scoundrels
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Or any other shirt, needs to retire before he does any more damage to his reputation, and our league position

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jonas warming up, problems solved!

butnaahhhhh

Martin

Martin

Scokyl's Scoundrels
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Embarrassing, in a relegation battle again, massive game on 2nd April

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pre-match I said to one of my housemates 'Just seen Sol is starting today, might as well give Stoke the win now'. I wasn't joking

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Newcastle, on the other hand, have now picked up only one win in 10 matches.

I maintain that sacking Hughton was the worst decision we've made since we got rid of Sir Bobby