Ongoing Soccer Thread

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't even blame Hodgson for this mess. I blame the owners first and foremost. I blame Rafa for his odd dealings in the past few years that left us with one striker. I blame the players. No disrespect to teams like Newcastle, Blackpool, etc. but they are achieving most of their success with a ton of heart as well as some skill. We have "better" players in most positions - international players, world cup players, and a few world-class players. Where is the heart? You can't form a winning team with players like Reina, Agger, Carragher, Cole, Gerrard, Kuyt, Torres? We need a few clean sheets, then build from there. Time to start fighting for every ball, all over the park.
Agree with most of this but isn't it ultimately the managers job to motivate his players?
Just think back a couple seasons, remember the "almost season" where Liverpool had countless comebacks after going 2-3 goals down?
I remember against City when it was 2-0 at halftime and Rafa managed to motivate his players to come back and win it 3-2, not to mention the Istanbul final obviously.

Yes the squad is good enough(at least good enough to do better then they are atm) but for some reason there not performing.
I mean hell Liverpool had the second most players at the WC and 4 in the final(all though only 2 played in it).

Maybe the fact that there are a few names in the squad that are simply "bigger" then the manager is a problem?
We all know how "player power" can destroy team.

/ramble.

SilentJay

SilentJay

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Scumbags out! LFC board just agreed to sell to the owner of the Red Sox.
So much for the "Yanks out." Seems an odd decision to me. Not sure how well this would go down with the fans. But let's hope it works out...

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Newcastle have played better than the games i saw of them last season.
Against Man City they absolutley dominated periods (83% at one point i remember seeing).

Last season i thought they were too aggressive at times and still dont like Coloccini :viking: but they've had a good start and that is always important and something to build on.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Got to be better than what we have now....hasn't it? Anyway, so long as those lying f***ers lose a ton of money on the deal that is fine with me!

Bitter, moi?

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First leg of the under 21 play off for the European championship tonight.
switzerland beating sweden 4-1 and Iceland winning Scotland 2-1.
Iceland should have won bigger, Scotland had 2shots at goal the entire game and where really poor imo.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Any one here play xperteleven.com?
Any interest in setting up a CC league?

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Newcastle are a GREAT football club. My second favourite English team, just because of their fans. They have had a good solid start to the season. Long way to go but I hope they have a good season and stay up. I think they will.

Newcastle have played better than the games i saw of them last season.
Against Man City they absolutley dominated periods (83% at one point i remember seeing).

Last season i thought they were too aggressive at times and still dont like Coloccini :viking: but they've had a good start and that is always important and something to build on.

ha ty guys, glad i'm not just viewing this season through black and white tinted specs :)

gesshoo - I wouldn't agree that at this moment, we're a 'great' club and tbh, I think the last time we've come close to that kind of status is under Sir Bobby. A lot of fans having this notion of us being a huge club that deserves success is an idea that has held us back for a long time, and was a huge factor behind Sir Bobby's sacking. I often think about how important that moment was for the club :( I think in the right conditions, we have the potential to become a great club again. Primarily we need a new owner/s (although I am nowhere near as anti-Ashley as some, he has done some very, very good things for the club, with very little in return). I do agree that we'll stay up though, provided we improve our home form

ian - dunno if you're referring to our last season in the prem or last season, although either way i fundamentally agree. I think Colo is often a liability and not quite good enough for... well I was going to say Premiership, but that's more my ambitions for the future coming through... Put it this way, he's not a player who could get into a top 10 team.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrats - i've just seen England qualify after drawing away to Romania to go through 2-1 on agg :top:

*some cracking goals in the Iceland game :top:

Martin

Martin

Scokyl's Scoundrels
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
ha ty guys, glad i'm not just viewing this season through black and white tinted specs :)

gesshoo - I wouldn't agree that at this moment, we're a 'great' club and tbh, I think the last time we've come close to that kind of status is under Sir Bobby. A lot of fans having this notion of us being a huge club that deserves success is an idea that has held us back for a long time, and was a huge factor behind Sir Bobby's sacking. I often think about how important that moment was for the club :( I think in the right conditions, we have the potential to become a great club again. Primarily we need a new owner/s (although I am nowhere near as anti-Ashley as some, he has done some very, very good things for the club, with very little in return). I do agree that we'll stay up though, provided we improve our home form

ian - dunno if you're referring to our last season in the prem or last season, although either way i fundamentally agree. I think Colo is often a liability and not quite good enough for... well I was going to say Premiership, but that's more my ambitions for the future coming through... Put it this way, he's not a player who could get into a top 10 team.

I think Colo has played OK so far this season certainly better than his first in this league, hr coudn't have been much worse though.

Got to say when Hughton was given the managers post I wasn't happy just thought he'd be Ashley and his chronies yes man but I was pleasantly surprised to say the least as I thought we'd have at least a couple of seasons in the Championship.

That being said I've been unhappy with some of his tactics and substitutions this season, he made the changes at the Chelsea game which almost came back to bite us on the arse and not happy with Nolan playing just behind the centre forward, would rather play with two strikers up front with Nolan & Tiote in midfield at home at least

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Colo has played OK so far this season certainly better than his first in this league, hr coudn't have been much worse though.

Oh yeah, definitely been wayyy better than his first season in the Prem, I just get concerned whenever he has the ball in possesion lol

Got to say when Hughton was given the managers post I wasn't happy just thought he'd be Ashley and his chronies yes man but I was pleasantly surprised to say the least as I thought we'd have at least a couple of seasons in the Championship.
Hmm I dunno. I was fine with him being given the job. If you remember he was still caretaker for a fair few games into last season, when we were doing well and let's face it, there were no real alternatives for the position.

That being said I've been unhappy with some of his tactics and substitutions this season, he made the changes at the Chelsea game which almost came back to bite us on the arse and not happy with Nolan playing just behind the centre forward, would rather play with two strikers up front with Nolan & Tiote in midfield at home at least
I think the only time I've been dissapointed in the way we've lined up is against Stoke, where we were effectively playing a 4-4-1-1. At that point I would have much rather us play a n attacking 4-2-3-1 with Tiote-Barton; Jonas-Nolan-Ben Arfa; Carroll. I'm just not convinced by Routledge at all. Obviously with Ben Arfa gone that is no longer an option :( I'm pretty comfortable with us playing one up front at the moment tbh. I don't think we can play effectively with two strikers if those two are going to be Carroll and Ameobi when they do the same job (only Carroll does it a lot better ;))

Martin

Martin

Scokyl's Scoundrels
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Yes Stoke was horrible to watch. Don't think mutch of Routledge at all buzzes about gets in good positions but can't cross a ball, in fact he was one of two almost panic buys last January both of which were awful, was happy when I found out Ben Arfa was starting the game but obviously not too pleased 4 minutes later. The two up front I would give a go to is Carrol & Lovenkrands he may be a bit light weight but he has pace and puts some cracking runs in into the box.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since when has a court in Texas been able to say what happens to an English football club? :mad:

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Since when has a court in Texas been able to say what happens to an English football club? :mad:
Since money bagging douchbags started popping up buying football clubs left and right :mad:.
All this drama has seriously got my thinking that the Spanish way of running clubs is probably better then letting any one who wants buy a club.
At least in Spain the fans can just vote out incompetent people...

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

They can't and thats exactly what the high court said, it was all bs anyway just another attempt by Hicks/Gillett to stall the sale and try and get Liverpool docked 9 points by getting them into administration. Bitter, bitter tw@ts, maybe they should buy Everton ;)

Martin

Martin

Scokyl's Scoundrels
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Another horrible lazy display by NUFC yesterday, Barton was strolling about like Billy big bollocks again & Perch was terrible. Very lucky to get the draw.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Liverpool fans take notice. If discovered a way to make thinks better.
When viewing the league standings, simply turn the newspaper/computer monitor/w/e upside down and normality will be restored.
/end public service announcement.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Another horrible lazy display by NUFC yesterday, Barton was strolling about like Billy big bollocks again & Perch was terrible. Very lucky to get the draw.

Perch is absolutely atrocious, I don't know why we persist with him

Oh and of course, lol lolerpool

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lets hope NESV make a quick decision on the manager and get one in that is actually capable of doing anything more than standing on the touchline, stroking his chin and looking like a little lost boy looking for his parents at the fairground.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
j5e2rl.jpg

lol utd