Ongoing Soccer Thread

Tonky666

Tonky666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Typically, we Americans are just not that in to soccer, but I really did get in to the World Cup this year. I really enjoyed watching the games, except for the vuvuzelas or whatever they call them. Most annoying sound ever. I heard somewhere there was a device or some way to block that sound, but I never found out for sure. Anybody know? The NFL is finally back this year, and I can't wait for the opener with my Vikings trying to avenge their loss to the Saints. It's not looking likely, but that's why they play the games. GO VIKINGS!!!!

the vuvuzela's are a sound for soccer and if sooooooooooo many people hate them why do they still buy and blow them(that sounded a little wrong...), and this is a soccer thread,not an NFL thread....go chelsea :D:D:D this season ours again...

T

ThunderPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the vuvuzela's are a sound for soccer in South Africa

FYP

In Europe some clubs like Arsenal, Tottenham, Birmingham and Sporting (probably a lot more, these were the ones I heard) even went as far as to forbid them in their stadium.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
imagine if they permitted vuvuzela's in sports like hockey

the players would lose their minds

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FYP

In Europe some clubs like Arsenal, Tottenham, Birmingham and Sporting (probably a lot more, these were the ones I heard) even went as far as to forbid them in their stadium.

Liverpool have too and am I glad can't stand the awful racket tbh

psychotie

psychotie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In germany vuvuzela are mostly forbidden in stadiums because the teams prefer to listen to the singing of the supporters

robert_wrath

robert_wrath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ajax Amsterdam beats Feyenoord Rotterdam 2-1. These are some of the best Dutch league teams.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
FYP

If i remember right UEFA have banned them from grounds in Europe during European matches, as the culture is of singing and chanting and they want it to continue.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But the Championship is the BIG winner! Is this like the tortoise and hare thing? Are Pompey going to wake up soon and storm to the top by Xmas? What is happening? I like Pompey - not looking good so far. How are the fans holding up?

Some of the natives are getting restless - some even calling for the managers head :confused: :rolleyes: - considering he didnt have anything but a youth team 2 months ago the majority (myself included) are saying - shut up and give him some support.

A win or two would be nice, but we have to be patient & there's never too much of that in football these days :rolleyes: :D

FEARFACTOR

FEARFACTOR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the vuvuzela's are a sound for soccer and if sooooooooooo many people hate them why do they still buy and blow them(that sounded a little wrong...), and this is a soccer thread,not an NFL thread....go chelsea :D:D:D this season ours again...
Wow. Somebody defending vuvuzelas. Anyway, my post was about my newfound liking of football. Sorry to offend you twice by mentioning the NFL too. I guess that's taboo in your world.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow. Somebody defending vuvuzelas. Anyway, my post was about my newfound liking of football. Sorry to offend you twice by mentioning the NFL too. I guess that's taboo in your world.

No offence (hey, that s almost a bad pun,.....almost lol :D) i know, i like to rib others about this being 'proper' football ;) - glad you're enjoying the game :)

T

ThunderPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ajax Amsterdam beats Feyenoord Rotterdam 2-1. These are some of the best Dutch league teams.

Biggest, yes, but best? Not anymore for Feyenoord...

Really good start of the season for Groningen, hope they can get a good result from PSV in the next game. Maybe this year they can finally return to Europe. :)

Tonky666

Tonky666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
FYP

don't think too many south americans hated them...

Tonky666

Tonky666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

yes,NFL is taboo i dont think anyone anywhere but america really understand the game...we have rugby it's alot alike but no heavy armor or forward passing and stuff...i understand american football but not entirely, just played the nfl 09 or whatever on PS3...

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh dear - it goes from bad to worse. Cobblers to it.

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh dear - it goes from bad to worse. Cobblers to it.

I said when Hodgson was appointed it was the wrong move and so far hes done nothing to prove me wrong, i've seen every minute of every game we have played under him so far and I dont think we could get 20 minutes of action where we have actually played good football. He looks lost on the bench, and his refusal to change anything with substitutions makes Rafa's 60/70 mins to change, look like genius. He took til the 91st minute last night to make a substitution when it was clear to everyone we were struggling to play against a bottom half team from league 2 from the start of the 2nd half. TBH I feel its gonna get worse under Roy/Hicks & Gillett long before it gets better. And thats after our worst competitive result in our history, we had never lost to a team from league 2 (old div 4) before last night.

Tonky666

Tonky666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
can't belive we lost to new castle and city and liverpool out...depressing...atleast it's just the carling cup...

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
can't belive we lost to new castle and city and liverpool out...depressing...atleast it's just the carling cup...

LOL - that's what we all say when we go out! Different when we win it though! :D

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pompey update -

Saturday - lose away to Sheff Utd 1-0 despite everyone claiming we dominated the game, Steve Cotterill claims someone is due for 'a thumping'

Tuesday ko'd from the League Cup by an old nemisis Leicester City :(

All week, the papers are claiming Milan Mandaric (Leicester chairman) wants to return (from Leicester to Pompey as chairman)

Friday - match live on Sky and we crush them 6-1!, played great, passed the ball around and look threatening with each attack.

The crowd are singing 'Milan, there's only one Milan' he looked a little embarressed :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/9020826.stm

At last the season seems to have started :)

Last edited:
Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
At last! I'm glad you got a win at last - and a good one at that! Let's hope it is the start of a good run!

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
West Brom 3 Arsenal 2

As a baggies fan and was able to watch the game this morning this was awesome. West Brom have played well other than the 6-0 Chelsea first game loss.

On Paper Arsenal should dominate us every day easily but it seemed they were thinking of their next 2 games instead of todays game.

Fantastic result for the Baggies

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes, a great result against Arsenal, who really looked half asleep and defended like they had no idea what they had to do.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They also have the worst goalkeeper in England

SilentJay

SilentJay

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chelsea lose, Spurs lose, Liverpool can't beat Sunderland at home, Man Utd can't beat Bolton, Arsenal lose at home to West Brom (!?), and only two home wins this week... what the hell is going on? :confused:

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'm scared to look at how badly i've done on IKTS this week. :eek: