Ongoing Soccer Thread

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My guess is somewhere in Southern Calif. Having fun Black?:D

Is correct, San Diego to be precise and yes had a great time, been here nearly 3 months. Also visited Vegas and San Fran during that time. Unfortunately its time to go home soon tho, back to sunny England :rolleyes: next Tuesday to be exact.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Joe did u live in Århus?
Its a great city imo, I got some family there and wouldn't mind visiting there again some time in the future.

Hi Sindri - no but I visited there a gazillion times. It is a very nice city, with the canal running thorugh it and the piano bar and surrounding area. Decent Irish bar down on the canal, I remember.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mascherano gone at long last - no great loss IMO. Hopefully Poulsen will do OK. I think Babel is due a run in the team - has looked a bit sharper than normal in his few recent cameo appearances. I am glad Hodgson rested Gerrard & Torres midweek. Kuyt is staying. Despite the 0-3 vs City I am not unhappy with how the season is going so far. I think Hodgson will bring a lot of stability.

Did anyone see Rafa interviewed about the Kuyt deal? Refused to say he had made an agreement NOT to try to sign LFC players, but instead said he looks after the team and the Technical Director looks after transfers. Repeated it several times. In other words, he did make the agreement but is getting around it by having someone else technically make the approach.

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mascherano gone at long last - no great loss IMO. Hopefully Poulsen will do OK. I think Babel is due a run in the team - has looked a bit sharper than normal in his few recent cameo appearances. I am glad Hodgson rested Gerrard & Torres midweek. Kuyt is staying. Despite the 0-3 vs City I am not unhappy with how the season is going so far. I think Hodgson will bring a lot of stability.

Did anyone see Rafa interviewed about the Kuyt deal? Refused to say he had made an agreement NOT to try to sign LFC players, but instead said he looks after the team and the Technical Director looks after transfers. Repeated it several times. In other words, he did make the agreement but is getting around it by having someone else technically make the approach.

TBH Masch was always going so like you not particularly bothered. As for the team as a whole Im totally unimpressed with Hodgson so far, tactics have been poor in most games, and in the last 2 games despite things not going our way hes refused to change anything til 75 mins are gone, which looks to me like Roy is waiting and hoping the game will change rather than doing something to make it happen. We got lucky on Thursday but better teams will have a field day against us if we keep this up.

As for the Rafa thing, TBF Inter has always used the system of the Technical Director buying players, rather than the manager, so Rafa knew that going into the job and probably agreed that HE wouldnt try to sign LFC players, and the way the owners treated Rafa I have no complaints with him screwing with them now. Its not like the players have no say so....

T

ThunderPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems like Raul Meireles is the most likely replacement for Mascherano. Good choice for Liverpool, unfortunately for us (FC Porto) it seems they'll only pay €13. :mad:

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems like Raul Meireles is the most likely replacement for Mascherano. Good choice for Liverpool, unfortunately for us (FC Porto) it seems they'll only pay €13. :mad:
To be fair to Liverpool, we only have 13 euros to spend ;)

Can't say I know much about him but most of the people who have seen him play plenty say he's decent so if this happens I will not be unhappy.

T

ThunderPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To be fair to Liverpool, we only have 13 euros to spend ;)

Can't say I know much about him but most of the people who have seen him play plenty say he's decent so if this happens I will not be unhappy.

LOL, I meant 13M€. Btw, how the hell do we edit posts in here? :confused:

rotty

rotty

I triple dog dare ya
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Good riddance Macherano
Good to see Kuyt staying, have been a fan for a few years now.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Want to hear something funny and sad?
For the 4th transfer window in a row Liverpool FC have maked a profit :/.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here's a name some of you may remember - he left Liverpool to play at Man City for a few seasons, then returned home to germany to retire......only yesterday i saw him play against Hartlepool for the MK Dons......

Dieter Hamman - midfield general at the MK Dons :eek:

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Want to hear something funny and sad?
For the 4th transfer window in a row Liverpool FC have maked a profit :/.

gotta deal with those pesky loan repayments somehow!

FEARFACTOR

FEARFACTOR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Typically, we Americans are just not that in to soccer, but I really did get in to the World Cup this year. I really enjoyed watching the games, except for the vuvuzelas or whatever they call them. Most annoying sound ever. I heard somewhere there was a device or some way to block that sound, but I never found out for sure. Anybody know? The NFL is finally back this year, and I can't wait for the opener with my Vikings trying to avenge their loss to the Saints. It's not looking likely, but that's why they play the games. GO VIKINGS!!!!

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here's a name some of you may remember - he left Liverpool to play at Man City for a few seasons, then returned home to Germany to retire......only yesterday i saw him play against Hartlepool for the MK Dons......

Dieter Hamman - midfield general at the MK Dons :eek:

Great player in his day, actually was back at Liverpool, coaching, before he went to the MK Dons, where hes a coach as well, good luck to him there.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah was a big fan of Hamman when he was at Newcastle, and was dissapointed when we sold him to Pool. Pretty shocked looking at his wiki now that he was only with us one season, I could have sworn he was there like 3 seasons

blott

blott

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
USA's best ever player Brian McBride announced his retirement this week.

Fulham legend and great ambassador for his country and game.

S

SirFoldaLot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
USA's best ever player Brian McBride announced his retirement this week.

Fulham legend and great ambassador for his country and game.

He really was a great target man and captain for Fulham, but I suppose at 38 the years have caught up with him.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
horrible game yesterday really, liverpool are terrible and we would have won easily if reina wasn't in god-mode.

if feels strange not being happy with a draw against liverpool but they're so awful at the moment it's hard to be too pleased.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It wouldn't have been at all flattering to you if you'd won 3-0. Liverpool are just terrible right now

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
they're gonna get destroyed at old trafford next weekend.

(i can't decide whether this makes me happy or sad)

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
things i established from the game:

- poulsen is shit.

- lucas is shit (well we knew this already ofc).

- johnson should basically be a right woinger because he's awful going back (oh wait we all knew this already too)

- jovanovic is basically a fast dirk kuyt. i'll leave it up to you to decide whether this is good or not.

- torres doesn't want to play for hodgson and will leave either in january or (more likely) the close-season.

- i also like the fact that although we've spent a decent chunk of money on a few players we don't feel rushed to throw them into the starting lineup. basically the exact opposite of what liverpool are doing with someone like poulsen who clearly isn't ready for premiership football at the moment.

- the above having been said bringing zigic (who dwarfs peter crouch ffs) on with a few minutes left in a game where we'd been swinging in long balls and crosses from deep for the entire game seemed pretty bizarre.

e: also gotta fit in a customary lol at villa in here, so, umm, lol.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe, maybe not.

Honestly, I think all we know so far is that Chelsea, Arsenal and ManU will be the top 3 - shocker there huh?

ManC, Villa, Liverpool, Spurs all sub-standard for various reasons. Most pressure on ManC cos of all the $$$. After the top 3 the next 10 clubs are all in a big glob of averageness. Some weeks OK, some not. The other 7 are fighting the drop.

Birmingham have a solid if not very exciting side. I hope Liverpool attain those heights - seriously. I will take a few scrappy 0-0 games followed (hopefully) by a few scrappy 1-0 wins. That is how I see the start of the road back....again, hopefully.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
7th August >>>>

Admit it, without Pompeys weekly news and troubles the PL is boring lol :D

But the Championship is the BIG winner! Is this like the tortoise and hare thing? Are Pompey going to wake up soon and storm to the top by Xmas? What is happening? I like Pompey - not looking good so far. How are the fans holding up?