Ongoing Soccer Thread

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
why are leeds on the ****ing TV again? all their FA cup games were on ITV last year and now the first BBC championship live game is leeds again? why are the TV stations so in love with such a scummy club with scummy fans?

Because its funny to see them lose? :)

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
O'Neill resigns 5 days before the new season starts, lol at Villa.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And looks like Young and Millner are on the way out.
Gonna be a long season for villa if they go to...

blott

blott

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bob Bradley is current favourite to take over. Can't see Villa fans being overly impressed if Lerner hires his fellow American.

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bob Bradley is current favourite to take over. Can't see Villa fans being overly impressed if Lerner hires his fellow American.

I actually think he could be a decent manager for them, who else they gonna get Curbishly, Eriksson, Southgate. If I was a villa fan I'd rather Bradley than the likes of those.

LennyPigeon

LennyPigeon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hey everyone, for my first post in the 'soccer' thread (can't say i'm too pleased with this title):p i would like to ask any fellow kopites, or anyone for that matter, which position you believe we need to strengthen the most and who you would like to see come in? also who should we sell to bring in some funds? masch looks like hes on the way out and id let babel go too.. coming in we would need a replacement for masch.. poulsen deal is nearly done i understand.. and another striker for when the inevitable torres injury happens. i'm feeling quietly confident about the season ahead and with a couple of season tickets now in the family i will be able to get to a few games too! YNWA

S

SirFoldaLot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Bradley would be an interesting appointment. But maybe it's a bit too high-risk for Villa at this stage. They will probably go for a more established Prem name. I also can't get too excited about Sven or Curbishley - they have the ring of yesterday's men about them.

Last edited:
beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Surely Villa need to hire someone with at least 2 years Premiership experience or similar in top league in another country such as Spain, Italy, germany etc.

Villa have always gotten so far up the ladder and then stop, just like now, they start to look likely, but have stalled.

Hesky, Carew & Agbonlahor? - they wont win you enough games.
Possibly losing Milner (granted for a ridiculous amount of money) Barry gone a year earlier and a typical enigmatic winger in Young the midfield is weakening.

The defence is getting older and slower and so once more Villa must replace and rebuild. If not now than soon.

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Surely Villa need to hire someone with at least 2 years Premiership experience or similar in top league in another country such as Spain, Italy, Germany etc.

Villa have always gotten so far up the ladder and then stop, just like now, they start to look likely, but have stalled.

Hesky, Carew & Agbonlahor? - they wont win you enough games.
Possibly losing Milner (granted for a ridiculous amount of money) Barry gone a year earlier and a typical enigmatic winger in Young the midfield is weakening.

The defence is getting older and slower and so once more Villa must replace and rebuild. If not now than soon.

To be honest Villa sit exactly where the ability of their squad says they should they have neither over or under achieved IMO. O'Neil bought some decent players but what is regularly ignored by much of the media is that he also spent a lot of money doing so. I read the other day that the wage bill is now 71% of villa's annual turnover, thats huge. Milner leaving, along with possibly Young and a few fringe players means the new manager can come in buy a couple of players and still have a reasonable squad that should finish 6th-8th.

Ian you say it should be a manager who has a couple years experience in the PL or in one the top 4 leagues in Europe, but who is available/would go to Villa that would suit that criteria and would be a welcome appointment?

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ian you say it should be a manager who has a couple years experience in the PL or in one the top 4 leagues in Europe, but who is available/would go to Villa that would suit that criteria and would be a welcome appointment?

That i'd have to pass on lol :D - it was more a comment that i thought Bob Bradley wouldn't be a good choice down to his lack of experience in Europe and a club in Villa's position would often look to get in a big name.

As for who.....we shall wait and see :)

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Meanwhile......

Celtic still after Bellamy - but he would have to take a £70,000 a week (thats around $110,000 a week) pay cut if he moved there.

A cut from what to what i wonder :mad:

Jason Roberts move to QPR is stalling over his £30,000 a week claims.

If i was QPR i'd look at signing a blind donkey, he'll score you more goals at a lot less im sure. :mad:

ryodejaneiro

ryodejaneiro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just thought I'd chime in as a Villa fan. I agree with beardy that Bob Bradley wouldn't be a good choice. I'm just not sold on him...not yet at least and I hope Villa won't be testing out how Bradley would fit in with Villa.

I'm still not sure how Kevin Mac will do as caretaker manager but so far from how Villa has performed today (okay, just one game), he's looking to make it a tough decision for Lerner as far as a new gaffer goes. I guess he will also at least manage the Europa League match with Rapid Wien so things will probably depend on how that goes too. MacDonald also seems to have the respect of players too so you can't discount that. Also, one last thought, nice to see a different formation from MON's favored 4-4-2!

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
hey everyone, for my first post in the 'soccer' thread (can't say i'm too pleased with this title):p i would like to ask any fellow kopites, or anyone for that matter, which position you believe we need to strengthen the most and who you would like to see come in? also who should we sell to bring in some funds? masch looks like hes on the way out and id let babel go too.. coming in we would need a replacement for masch.. poulsen deal is nearly done i understand.. and another striker for when the inevitable torres injury happens. i'm feeling quietly confident about the season ahead and with a couple of season tickets now in the family i will be able to get to a few games too! YNWA

I was a Koppite first in about 1972. Not so much since I started moving around. Definitely need more cover up front. At least 2 new strikers, preferably one from the local lads, where we got Owen and God from. We also need to start to plan for Stevie's eventual loss or retirement - let's hope there are some good kids coming through.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great win for Blackpool! Great game by Joe Hart - should have played for England in South Africa. Spurs played great 1st half. Villa played OK but Hammers were CRAP - could be in trouble this year. Chelsea were Chelsea - gonna be up there.

ryodejaneiro

ryodejaneiro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looks like the newest rumor for the Villa boss is Diego Maradona's reps saying he's interested in managing in England/Villa. Laughed when I read that. Interesting, but may not be a good move for Villa given his antics as well as the Hand of God goal back in 86.

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was a Koppite first in about 1972. Not so much since I started moving around. Definitely need more cover up front. At least 2 new strikers, preferably one from the local lads, where we got Owen and God from. We also need to start to plan for Stevie's eventual loss or retirement - let's hope there are some good kids coming through.

We only need 1 striker, Ngog will do fine when required, hes bulking up and getting experience all the time which will help. As for Stevies replacement, thats what Shelvey was signed for, all his coaches say he plays like Stevie, and Shelvey himself says he modeled his game on Gerrard's. TBH I doubt we will ever find another player of that stature but if Shelvey (or another player like Pacheco, Sterling or Suso) can even become half the player he is then we will be fine.

There are plenty of good youngsters in the 16-19 category, the ones I mention above, plus Ngoo, (not Ngog but another player, yes I know lol commentators in a few years could have a nightmare with our team Amoo, Ngog, Ngoo :)) Ince, Morgan, Robinson and a few others who all have a genuine shot at making it. One of Rafa's legacies is that he has left the Academy in a brilliant position with Borrell in charge, hes the one who did so much with Barca's youth providing players such as Messi, Fabregas, Pique, Bojan, Pedro etc

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chel$ea are just to good atm.
How the hell to the keep winning every game 5/8-0.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
carroll_682x400_780039a.jpg

That is all

mars_attack

mars_attack

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
6-0 three times this week end have been quite interesting. Hope We'll see at least one demolition every matchday this season :)