Ongoing Soccer Thread

blott

blott

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seriously theres so much wrong with that post i don't know where to start.
OK Torres, if he was to go, its extremely unlikely as City are the only club who can afford him and he wont go there, but thats another debate, if he was to go how would that help the team? The scum in the boardroom would take 40m to pay some of the interest off and give Roy 10m to buy Carlton Cole, that would leave us with Cole, Kuyt and Ngog none of whom have shown to be exactly prolific.
As for Roy himself, don't get me wrong he seems to be a nice enough bloke and hes a decent manager but he isnt and has never been a top level manager, look at his career, he never stays anywhere very long, hes not gonna build a dynasty. We had one of the best managers around, as evidenced by the fact that hes just got the job at the best club team in Europe last season. The truth is that roy has been brought in as a short term option to steady the ship until the owners can sell up, at which time the new owners will bring in their own man, hell Roy even said this in his first interview for the club.

Oh and Onemorechance, you are absolutely right there is no bright future for England until they change the very nature of the grass roots football in this country, Spain/Germany are the models we should be looking to emulate, the Spanish have been brilliant the whole tournament and Pacheco (Liverpool) has been awesome.

all I can say is time will tell.

btw what's a scouser doing in Portsmouth?

S

SirFoldaLot

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It never rains but it pours. Pompey are due some serious good luck soon.

Tonky666

Tonky666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Haha yeah saw that earlier, it's brilliant

Been watching the u19 game between England and Spain, and frankly, England were outclassed. They move the ball around so well, while we were reduced to a lot of kick and rush style stuff. Safe to say it doesn't make me particularly hopeful for the future

Couple of great Spain moments from this tournament

YouTube- Best Penalty Kick Ever? Ezequiel Calvente Penalty for Spain U19 vs Italy U19 (24/07/10)

:D chyoooo,WTF if i was the goalie I'd make the same mistake,wow good penalty:congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

rotty

rotty

I triple dog dare ya
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
2 weeks until the season kicks-off, I need my EPL fix :)

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Listening to Sky Sports News today it seems that LFC has announced to the Premier League that a takeover bid has been accepted? It now has 10 days to be reviewed by the EPL to see if it meets their new requirements? At least that is what it sounded like.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Listening to Sky Sports News today it seems that LFC has announced to the Premier League that a takeover bid has been accepted? It now has 10 days to be reviewed by the EPL to see if it meets their new requirements? At least that is what it sounded like.

Speaking from experience - beware of takeover talks involving rich consortiums of faceless Arabs and overseas 'billionaires' ;)

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From a Pompey Facebook page

"In 2010, a crack football team were sent from the premier league for a crime they didn't commit....
These men promptly escaped from a high security elite into the championship underground.
Today, still wanted by the HMRC, this group live on as soliders of fortune.
If you can still support them - even with their whole exsistance at stake ...- maybe we can still see the survival of....
the PFC Team"

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pompey 2-0 Her Majestys Revenue & Customs :party:

The High Court saw sense and there isn't even going to be an appeal :top:

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yeah was very pleased to see the Pompey win. Where does this leave you guys then? I mean I can imagine you're all delighted with the result but you're still in a pretty dire situation financially right?

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah was very pleased to see the Pompey win. Where does this leave you guys then? I mean I can imagine you're all delighted with the result but you're still in a pretty dire situation financially right?

Pleased yes lol :)party:) very nerve racking waiting for the Judges verdict - only an hour late :rolleyes:.

We now should come out of administration and have the transfer embargo lifted as well as hopefully get a new owner - this is looking likely to be Balraim Chanrai, the person who was bailing the club with loans when they couldn't pay the wages.

There is a debt agreement been set up for the larger creditors so that has to be paid back over a few years - but at least we still have a club.

Phew :party:

Tonky666

Tonky666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pleased yes lol :)party:) very nerve racking waiting for the Judges verdict - only an hour late :rolleyes:.

We now should come out of administration and have the transfer embargo lifted as well as hopefully get a new owner - this is looking likely to be Balraim Chanrai, the person who was bailing the club with loans when they couldn't pay the wages.

There is a debt agreement been set up for the larger creditors so that has to be paid back over a few years - but at least we still have a club.

Phew :party:

wow,really good to hear that ,would be soooo depressing if ur team got ended just because of some debt...

iamhukleberry

iamhukleberry

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
don't much care for soccer from any country..i played it when i was younger..but was never any good i kept catching the ball.lol but couldn't stop it from going in the net so i was pretty bad lol..

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

About damn time too. What the Hell is the taxman doing trying to kill a football club for anyway - especially a team with Pompey's long history?

When did teams stop belonging to the people and become a business like Tesco?

I mean, if they "killed" Pompey, surely someone smart (Beardyian, maybe) could just start a "new" team called - why not - "Pompey"? Wouldn't the same 20,000+ fans still turn up to watch, no matter who was playing in the team, even if they had to start in the lowest of low semi-professional league? Or maybe only 10,000 - but enough to generate revenue, pay players salaries and so begin the long climb back?

No matter what, at the end of the day, the fans will still be there for the club, long after all the billionaires have gone to play somewhere else.

Let's hope it is sooner rather than later.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OK, time to try the crystal ball thing again....who will finish where in this year's Prem?

1. ManU
2. Chelsea
3. Arsenal
4. Man C
5. Liverpool
6. Everton
7. Tottenham
8. Villa
9. Fulham
10. Sunderland
11. Blackburn
12. Newcastle
13. West Ham
14. Birmingham
15. Bolton
16. Stoke
17. Wolves
18. Wigan
19. West Brom
20. Blackpool

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
About damn time too. What the Hell is the taxman doing trying to kill a football club for anyway - especially a team with Pompey's long history?

When did teams stop belonging to the people and become a business like Tesco?

I mean, if they "killed" Pompey, surely someone smart (Beardyian, maybe) could just start a "new" team called - why not - "Pompey"? Wouldn't the same 20,000+ fans still turn up to watch, no matter who was playing in the team, even if they had to start in the lowest of low semi-professional league? Or maybe only 10,000 - but enough to generate revenue, pay players salaries and so begin the long climb back?

No matter what, at the end of the day, the fans will still be there for the club, long after all the billionaires have gone to play somewhere else.

Let's hope it is sooner rather than later.

There were plans under way back in January(ish) when we had to go to the High Court the first time - the league said there would be places available in the lower leagues, and a new 'Pompey' would be hopefully playing at Havant & Waterloovilles ground (around 4,500 capacity) (you may remember them from a couple of FA Cups ago, Joe ;))

The taxman is now looking at the Football league as a whole to possibly bring a case in November - a case which many believe they would be more likely to win than the one they had against us.

The fact the Premier League never even met Ali Al Faraj (2nd owner last year) - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/30/ali-al-faraj-portsmouth
*or allowed people to run clubs when they stay anonymous (Leeds in the Championship) - http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/mar/04/football-league-ownership-leeds-united
* or even possibly interfere with transfers (Crouch to Spurs when he was apparently going to Fulham) - http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...Sir-Dave-Richards-over-Peter-Crouch-deal.html

Thankfully, the Premier League looked into the Premier League Chairmans actions and the Premier League found that the Premier League Chairman was innocent - thats ok then :rolleyes:

Bring on the football - good luck to all teams see you in the Premiership in a few years time (hopefully ;))

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, time to try the crystal ball thing again....who will finish where in this year's Prem?

1. ManU
2. Chelsea
3. Arsenal
4. Man C
5. Liverpool
6. Everton
7. Tottenham
8. Villa
9. Fulham
10. Sunderland
11. Blackburn
12. Newcastle
13. West Ham
14. Birmingham
15. Bolton
16. Stoke
17. Wolves
18. Wigan
19. West Brom
20. Blackpool

You're putting Newcastle waayyyyy too high. I'd be happy with 16th. Well I'd be happy to stay up to be fair.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Top 4
1. ManU
2. Chelsea
3. Man C
4. Arsenal

Next best teams
5. Liverpool
6. Tottenham
7. Villa
8. Everton

Just lacking that 'something'
9. Fulham
10. Sunderland

All pretty much the same
11. West Ham
12. Stoke
13. Birmingham
14. Blackburn
15. Wigan
16. Newcastle
17. Bolton
18. Wolves

A long season ahead

19. West Brom
20. Blackpool

after writing this the PL leagues looks fairly average this season, so hopefully there will lots of surprise performances and new stars created :top:

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
also

Chels
---
Man U
Arse
Man C
--
Liverpool
Spurs
--
Everton
Villa
Fulham
Blackburn
Stoke
West Ham
Birmingham
Sunderland
Bolton
Newcastle
Wolves
---
Wigan
Blackpool
West Brom

is there a CC IKTS league this year? i get bored with fantasy football a few months in but like IKTS.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chelsea
Man Utd
Liverpool
City
Arsenal
Tottenham
Villa
Everton
--

--
Stoke
Wolves
Blackpool

T

ThunderPT

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nobody paying attention to the Champions League and Europa League qualifiers? Some big surprises already occurred, Fenerbahçe eliminated of the CL by Young Boys, Olympiakos, Red Star and Dinamo Bucharest out of the EL already.

The Europa League seems stronger than usual this year with CL regulars FC Porto, Liverpool and Juventus there, plus Manchester City, Sporting and title holders Atlético Madrid. And there are still teams to come from the Champions League. Should be very interesting.

The Champions League will have the usual suspects fighting for it. I see Barça (obviously) and Mourinho's Real as the main contenders. Chelsea, Man United, last year's finalists and maybe Arsenal are the biggest threats to the spanish and then there's a group of teams consisting of AC Milan, Roma, Lyon, Sevilla, Valencia and Benfica who I wouldn't put money on but may very well go far surprising one of the previously mentioned teams.

Predictions?

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why are leeds on the ****ing TV again? all their FA cup games were on ITV last year and now the first BBC championship live game is leeds again? why are the TV stations so in love with such a scummy club with scummy fans?