Ongoing Soccer Thread

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course the top 4 EPL teams are better than the top 4 in La Liga because its mainly 4 teams [(Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea) vs 2 teams (Barca, Madrid)] After that is where I believe that La Liga is better. For Example... Sevilla, Villareal, Atletico Madrid, Zaragoza, Deportivo.... I would prefer those teams rather than a Bolton, Everton, Aston Villa, Man City....I am not talking about Barca, Madrid and the top 4 EPL teams. I am speaking of THE REST! or the OTHERS

umm have you actually seen atletico madrid play this season? portsmouth could probably give them a decent game. villarreal too, now that i think about it.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How about a 'skin of their teeth' pre season or end of season tounament every year.

The bottom two English survivors and bottom two Spanish survivors in a K. O. competition?

Some credibility could be added, and a trophy could be at stake?

I would put my money on Pompey now!

Do you like my confidence (you won't go down) beardy ian?

Hi Ho Pompey.

:D Just some good luck now needed instead of what we've been getting :top:

umm have you actually seen atletico madrid play this season? portsmouth could probably give them a decent game. villarreal too, now that i think about it.

I think most Premiership sides would do well against the Spanish sides - the Premier teams are a lot more closely matched and most can beat each other on any given day.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrat Ian on the first win this year - even if it wasn't in the EPL.

FTP_TheNuts

FTP_TheNuts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fellow Footie Fans, Im from the UK so footballs pretty big here. I Such as the OP support Liverpool, The 2-0 win at the weekened was great, but personally, i think the club would be better off without Benitez, hes narrow minded, and his team choice is Terrible. Below is what i believe the Midfield/strikeforce should look like:
LM: A. Reira
CM: J.Mascherano
CM: Steven Gerrard
RM: Aquilani (when fit)
RS: R. Babel
LS: Fernando Torres

The fact that Benitez continually plays Lucas disgusts me, he is absolutely terrible, and the fact that he plays David Ngog and A. Vorornin ahead of Ryan Babel recently also drives me insane. Ryan Babel is another class compared to Ngog and Voronin, and Lucas Leiva is just Utter TURD.

Just my 2 cents on the team, and why i think benitez should go, we need a new manager, a risk taker, Benitez was great for us, but only great when we got the results, in a rough patch now with a team with no depth at all, we need a new manager IMO.

C

chrisg750

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fellow Footie Fans, Im from the UK so footballs pretty big here. I Such as the OP support Liverpool, The 2-0 win at the weekened was great, but personally, i think the club would be better off without Benitez, hes narrow minded, and his team choice is Terrible. Below is what i believe the Midfield/strikeforce should look like:

The fact that Benitez continually plays Lucas disgusts me, he is absolutely terrible, and the fact that he plays David Ngog and A. Vorornin ahead of Ryan Babel recently also drives me insane. Ryan Babel is another class compared to Ngog and Voronin, and Lucas Leiva is just Utter TURD.

Just my 2 cents on the team, and why i think benitez should go, we need a new manager, a risk taker, Benitez was great for us, but only great when we got the results, in a rough patch now with a team with no depth at all, we need a new manager IMO.

Of course he's only narrow minded when their losing right? When he took you guys to champions league glory TWICE.... no complaining then? Am I wrong?

PattyR

PattyR

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
alright chelsea took another victory today over bolton!!! woohoo

jacksprat

jacksprat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You are very harsh to say the least.

Every Liverpool fan is aware of the lack of strength in depth within the squad.

I suggest you direct your anger more towards the co - owners than Raffa!

Your suggested attacking six has the astounding ommision of Dirk Kuyt and possibly Yossi Benayoun as well!

I can't believe you are running your own players down so strongly, playing Lucas digusts you, Lucas Leiva is a turd. Come on, be fair!

Stick with your team through thick and thin, Raffa (just signed a new contract) needs the support of the fans not condemnation.

Liverpool traditionally do not sack their Managers.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I couldn't help but laugh at the comment at the weekend on the telly, that Rafa has been facing a lot of pressure lately, yes, from people on the telly :rolleyes:

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Dont like this line up for a few reasons.

Riera is great imo but he get lost alot in games and Yossi is simply playing great atm so i unless Riera shows some improvement or Yossi/Aurrelio(because he has been playing left wing because of Gerrards injury and Yossi AMC) dip in form i dont think he deserves a spot in the team.

Babel is simply not smart enough to warrent a spot in the first eleven, he has the skils but his unability to make a simple pass and countlesly losing the ball by taking on 3 defenders instead of passing means he doesnt deserve a spot either imo.

But my main problem with that line up is it will leaves the team extremly exsposed at the back, wich has been the main problem this season, this line up would just add to that imo.
Riera,Babel,Gerrard and Aqualani are all very attack minded and dont like backtracking, add in the fact that Insua/Glen(and Agger if he is playing) both like going forward means on counter attacks Skrtl,Carra and Mach will have all the work to do.

Also stats dont really back up the claim that Babel is miles ahead of Voronin and N´Gog.
And while stats might not tell every thing since i agree that Babel has better technic then Voronin it stills says alot.
Babel has a 101 / 16 scoring record, Voronin 38/6 and N´Gog 26/6.
Babel scroing record is equal(ok its 1 in 6,1 vs 1 in 6,3) to Vornin´s! And N´Gog´s is alot better!.
Add in the fact that Babel was a regular starter his first season where as N´Gog usualy only got 10-15mins in thouse 26 games and it quiet clearly it shows N´Gog as more efficent in front of goal.

jacksprat

jacksprat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sindri 93.

No mention of Dirk Kuyt, I can't believe you have also overlooked him!

Reading the papers recently, it seems like Yossi might be off to Man. C. and Mascherano has refused to sign a new contract, so he could be off at the end of the season!

I thought Voronin (bad pass leading to Arsenal goal excluded) and Ngog both had good games on Wednesday night. Voronin showed alot more appetite for the game playing the full 90 mins than he does coming on as a sub. Maybe Raffa has told voronin to show commitment or get out.
I liked the look of Plessis in the first half, but felt he lost his way in the second half.
It was a good game and on chances created, could have gone either way.

You Liverpool fans have gloried in the League cup 7 times, I suppose it's only fair to give Arsenal a chance!

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I didn't see the game midweek - not shown over here.

Any current Liverpool team has to have Kuyt and Benayoun in it. No way could anyone pick Babel ahead of either of them. Unfortunately, Benayoun's face doesn't seem to fit all the time with Benitez. Having heard how well Lucas played last weekend, I hope he can carry that form into a few more games. Over the years, I've heard various players get stick from certain people in the crowd - including the likes of Ian Callaghan and Emlyn Hughes! People pay their money and are entitled to their opinions.

At the end of the day, you support your team, through good and bad - and let's face it, so far our "bad" isn't anywhere near as bad as almost all other fans have to face. We're doing OK.

I hope we can take last week's passion and commitment into all upcoming matches. We can't turn it on against ManU then lower our performance level for Fulham or anyone else - that would be a huge waste. Fingers crossed!

FTP_TheNuts

FTP_TheNuts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK, i realised after putting my team down, i made a few mistakes, Dirk Kuyt is inb4 Babel, but im fed up off Voronin and Ngog getting places ahead of him, they are terrible players, there is simply no place in that starting 11 for Lucas, i dont care he plays for liverpool he is terrible. Aurelio is better LB than LM, Benayoun is great. I forgot him, however i think Reira at his best maybe be better than benayoun however i believe this formation would seem good.

4 - 5 - 1

we play 5 midfielders, madcherano haging back in the centre with gerrard and aquilani (when fit) in the rcm and lcm positions, we then have reira/benayoun left and kuyt on the right but in more of an attcking wing position, with Torres up front alone, he is more than good enough to fullfill the role alone with aquilani and gerrard in support.

BTW, i do stick with liverpool through thick and thin, but if the co owners and sponsers and everyone dont allow Benitez to bring in more talent in the Jan transfer window, then liverpool are not looking at a top 4 finish this season, unless they finally start meshing this season and start playing good football...

jacksprat

jacksprat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I didn't see the game midweek - not shown over here.

Over the years, I've heard various players get stick from certain people in the crowd - including the likes of Ian Callaghan and Emlyn Hughes! People pay their money and are entitled to their opinions.

Ian callaghan.

19 yrs as a player, and more than 800 games for Liverpool, hard to believe the fans could ever have disliked him. He allways seemed to give 100%, when I saw him play against Ipswich. Maybe he was still being picked when past his best!

Emlyn Hughes OBE RIP.

The guy was larger than life, and wore his heart on his sleeve.
I remember watching this match on telly in the early 70s at Goodison Park, eventual score; Everton 0 Liverpool 2.
There was a football song at the time, I think started by Spurs fans for Cyril Knowles. Anyway Emlyn scored the first goal and the fans started singing -
Nice one Emlyn
Nice one Son
Nice one Emlyn
Lets have another one.
So Emlyn does one of his marauding runs from his own penalty area, dribbles past a couple of Everton players and rifles the ball in the net.
The Liverpool fans go delirious and continue the song for the rest of the match.

Talking about Goodison Park, I have been there four times watching Ipswich. Last time I went there, we were seated in the corner of the Bullens Rd Stand, well all I can say is bloody pillars!
As for the scouse pies, I think they spilt a whole bottle of Worcester sauce in mine (never again).
The one good thing about watching Everton v Ipswich, I could wear my blue and white scarf and mingle with their fans even in the 70's(as long as I kept my mouth shut).

Aud300

Aud300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sindri 93.

Reading the papers recently, it seems like Yossi might be off to Man. C. and Mascherano has refused to sign a new contract, so he could be off at the end of the season!

I thought Voronin (bad pass leading to Arsenal goal excluded) and Ngog both had good games on Wednesday night. Voronin showed alot more appetite for the game playing the full 90 mins than he does coming on as a sub. Maybe Raffa has told voronin to show commitment or get out.
I liked the look of Plessis in the first half, but felt he lost his way in the second half.
It was a good game and on chances created, could have gone either way.

You Liverpool fans have gloried in the League cup 7 times, I suppose it's only fair to give Woolridge Wanderers a chance!

Fixed for the NLD. COYS!

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sindri 93.

Not overlooked just didnt bother to state the obvs ;).
Kuyt allways has been and probably allways will be the first name on the sheet under Rafa´s managment, and i can understand that he practicly plays 3 positions at ones!

btw how u think Ipswich will do in the most win against Derby later?

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
too many liverpool fans ITT!!

watching the villa/everton in spanish is fun!

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ian callaghan.

19 yrs as a player, and more than 800 games for Liverpool, hard to believe the fans could ever have disliked him. He allways seemed to give 100%, when I saw him play against Ipswich. Maybe he was still being picked when past his best!

Emlyn Hughes OBE RIP.

The guy was larger than life, and wore his heart on his sleeve.
I remember watching this match on telly in the early 70s at Goodison Park, eventual score; Everton 0 Liverpool 2.
There was a football song at the time, I think started by Spurs fans for Cyril Knowles. Anyway Emlyn scored the first goal and the fans started singing -
Nice one Emlyn
Nice one Son
Nice one Emlyn
Lets have another one.
So Emlyn does one of his marauding runs from his own penalty area, dribbles past a couple of Everton players and rifles the ball in the net.
The Liverpool fans go delirious and continue the song for the rest of the match.

Talking about Goodison Park, I have been there four times watching Ipswich. Last time I went there, we were seated in the corner of the Bullens Rd Stand, well all I can say is bloody pillars!
As for the scouse pies, I think they spilt a whole bottle of Worcester sauce in mine (never again).
The one good thing about watching Everton v Ipswich, I could wear my blue and white scarf and mingle with their fans even in the 70's(as long as I kept my mouth shut).

It wasn't anything general - you know how it is at games - you'll always have a few who will grumble at anyone! Cally was a great little player - all heart and a great engine - and he could score a few goals as well.

Yozzer was just an animal. Tremendous energy and you could make a greatest goals competition for him alone - he scored some crackers over the years! I lived in Wolverhampton for a short while and went to the Wolves-Liverpool game with my then boss and his young sons. This was after Emlyn joined Wolves (early 1981).

My boss also had tickets for some kind of quiz night after the game so after the final whistle (we lost 1-0 :( ) there's all this commotion on the pitch with bright camera lights etc.

Turned out it was Eamon Andrews and "This is Your Life" for Emlyn Hughes, and that is what our tickets were for!

We had a great night. Two of the guests I remember were Georgie Best (RIP) - who looked GREAT! And Red Rum - I can't remember why exactly....but he looked great too!

too many liverpool fans ITT!!

But you can never have too much of a good thing!

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some interesting scores. Watched Arsenal beat Spurs earlier - could have been 4 or 5.

Pompey winning 3-0 - WTG Ian!

Chelsea 2-0 up at 10-man Bolton - think that one is over. That is the one I am watching right now.

Liverpool 1-1 at the Cottage - Torres just went off, hopefully not injured!

The Irons 2-1 up at the Stadium of Light is a bit of a surprise......

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OK. You want to win the league. So at 1-1 you take off Torres......then you go 2-1 down so you take off Benayoun.....and finally you take off Kuyt. Down to 9 men, 2-1 down with 6 minutes left, and our 3 best players (apart from Gerrard who is already out injured) have now been substituted??????????

Edit: Big surprise - it is now 3-1 Fulham.

So - the 9 players still on the pitch are:

Reina
Kyrgiakos
Insua
Lucas
Mascherano
Babel
Eccleston
Ayala
Voronin

Not exactly strength in depth.............

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have fun in the confrense league Mr. Mason?

Degan should never gotten a red and wasnt Zamora offside when Carra fouled him?

Doesnt matter we where shit to day and Fulham deserved the win.
My only question is what happen to half the squad on the way to the field? Did they all get swin flue? or did they crash the bus?
Agger,Skrtl,Aurelio,N´Gog all added to a allready big injury list at the last minute.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So - the 9 players still on the pitch are:

Reina
Kyrgiakos
Insua
Lucas
Mascherano
Babel
Eccleston
Ayala
Voronin
Reina and Mach probably the only ones that would make the first team of the other big 4.
Insua would probably make the bench and Lucas and Babel probably be fringe players.

I wonder if this season can be saved.
Basicly out of the title race and its not even Nov, struggling to make the KO stage in Europe and out of the league cup.

Maybe a 10-15 game win streek could set the team on course to save face?
And im not just worried that this will be a another silverwere free year but about entier the future of the club.
Its no secret the club is in bad financial shape and if we lose out on a CL spot next year we might have to sell our star players to avoid financial ruin.

Come on Liverpool, show us some of that Istanbul comeback magic!

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just got home - has Rafa been sacked/walked yet?

sharkyo01

sharkyo01

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From what i have heard on the news hes walking... But do not take my word on it!