Ongoing Soccer Thread

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
LOL never knew. This is jackspratts wife I had no idea about the red button thank god for that I wont have to listen to Andy Gray ever again. Even Hi ho Pompy would sound much better!

Yep - its always used :D

Wait for the kick off (after the last load of ads :rolleyes:) press red, then when all the screens appear just press 'select'
then press the 'i' button and an option bar appears along the bottom of the screen - press green and the '>' button to go to crowd, press 'select'
and bingo no more commentators :party:

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Man of the match no doubt is Lucas!

Lucas was superb, if never seen him like this. Won the ball in key areas,stoped countless attacks and had a well deserved assist, only a goal could have maked it a better performance.

Have to admit i had mixed feeling when i heard the crowd when Owen came on, for one he is a traitoring money loving **** but on the other hand he was my idol not long ago.
But you know how it goes, traitors are allways exacuted ;).

Nice goal by Ngog aswell, showed good composure :).

Also kinda funny my brother who is also a liverpool fan was sitting in airport in Copen waiting for his fligh so he was calling me up every 5mins for updates on the game and then finaly just told me to put the phone near the tele for the last few min...

Owen knew what he was doing when he joined ManU. Liverpool always give ex-players a fantastic reception, but this is different. Glad for Lucas - ne needed a big game for his confidence and to maybe get the fans behind him. You from Denmark, Sindri?

My wife goes nuts when Andy Gray is commentating on Liverpool matches, she believes he has a bias against Liverpool no matter which English club they play against! Sometimes I think she has a point. I don't know for sure, but maybe in Gray's hayday, he wanted to play for Liverpool, but because they never signed him alongside his fellow scots Hansen, Dalgliesh, Gillespie and Souness he holds a grudge?

He's an ex-Everton hero. Played great for them in the mid-80's but must have inherited the blue-noses hatred of LFC - like the Liverpool-ManU thing, but maybe worse.....

Aud300

Aud300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great Day for Liverpool. Fantastic Finish for Torres. I am still in shock over My Spurs losing to Stoke at Home. But overall it's a good weekend of soccer. onward to the NLD

jacksprat

jacksprat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Get your money on Liverpool to beat ManU 2-0 on Sunday. Odds should be about 11-1. Maybe better. ;)

Sorry, I forgot your prediction, did you have a bet ?

He's an ex-Everton hero. Played great for them in the mid-80's but must have inherited the blue-noses hatred of LFC - like the Liverpool-ManU thing, but maybe worse.....

Yes Everton and Villa, he was a good player, but wouldn't have fitted in at Anfield?

Sephiroth

Sephiroth

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
TFC

Its hard to be interested in MLS, when your hometown team sucks so much. LOL The team being toronto fc. Ill wait til world cup comes around to be interested in football again, which is not too far off.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Owen knew what he was doing when he joined ManU. Liverpool always give ex-players a fantastic reception, but this is different. Glad for Lucas - ne needed a big game for his confidence and to maybe get the fans behind him. You from Denmark, Sindri?
Im no damm colonialist, im Icelandic.

Not surprisingly most of the headlines today are about Fergie and his crying about Marriners performance and not the fact that liverpool simply out played them and deserved the win.

FFS Carra should have gotten a red for his foul on Owen, ok fine but atleast the ref was consitend, Vidic got a yellow for the same kind of foul, just unlucky for him it was his second yellow.
Berbatov didnt get a booking for his foul on Agger he got it for arguing with the ref about the foul.
Carra goes for the ball first with Carrick(was it carrick?) challenge and hence not a pen.
Berba can claim no such thing when he ripped Kuyt´s shirts.
Also Man Utd got countless cheap freekicks in midfield when either Mach or Lucas simply dispossed Evra/Giggs/Valencia...
So in the end it ballenced out ok imo, im not saying Marriner had a great game, he didnt but that not why Man Utd lost.

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its hard to be interested in MLS, when your hometown team sucks so much. LOL The team being toronto fc. Ill wait til world cup comes around to be interested in football again, which is not too far off.

It's hard to believe we had one chance to make the playoffs and Toronto FC lose 0-5 to the the worst team in the MLS.

Tonky666

Tonky666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im soo happy man utd lost to liverpool!
CHELSEA BACK ON TOP!!

C

chrisg750

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The MLS is terrible but improving slightly every year.... let's face that fact. Spain best league in the world.

Aud300

Aud300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The MLS is terrible but improving slightly every year.... let's face that fact. England is the best league in the world.

I am two for two right now. Let's face this the bottom side in The EPL had better players than the bottom side in the Spanish Premier. Don't confuse National side play to Overall Domestic Club side play.

C

chrisg750

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am two for two right now. Let's face this the bottom side in The EPL had better players than the bottom side in the Spanish Premier. Don't confuse National side play to Overall Domestic Club side play.

It's not about the players... it's the teams and the Europa League will prove this.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im no damm colonialist, im Icelandic.

Sorry for the insult Sindri! I worked for an Icelandic company for about a year - 2006-2007. Here in the US.

The MLS is terrible but improving slightly every year.... let's face that fact. Spain best league in the world.

English Premier League is undoubtedly the best - look at last 2 years CL semi finals for proof. Real and Barca are great teams, but overall EPL is better.

jacksprat

jacksprat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QUOTE]sindri_93;1323638]Im no damm colonialist, im Icelandic.[/quote]

Hello Sindri, so your an Icelandic 'Geezer', (that must be very old hat). Didn't the worlds strongest ever strong man come from Iceland?

One of my favourite players playing for Ipswich in recent times (2000 - 2003) was your countryman, Hermann (the herminator)Hreidersson (now at Portsmouth).

He mostly played as an attacking left back while at Ipswich and sometimes covered as a central defender.

He had great pace back then and would often take on a couple of defenders and get a decent cross in.

The trouble for Ipswich back then we could have done with another Hermann in the penalty area to head his own cross!

Hermann was a good defender of corners and a good attacker of corners, he scored a couple for Ipswich, but was damned unlucky on many occasions hitting the woodwork.

Our fans loved him.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
QUOTE]sindri_93;1323638]Im no damm colonialist, im Icelandic.

Hello Sindri, so your an Icelandic 'Geezer', (that must be very old hat). Didn't the worlds strongest ever strong man come from Iceland?

One of my favourite players playing for Ipswich in recent times (2000 - 2003) was your countryman, Hermann (the herminator)Hreidersson (now at Portsmouth).

He mostly played as an attacking left back while at Ipswich and sometimes covered as a central defender.

He had great pace back then and would often take on a couple of defenders and get a decent cross in.

The trouble for Ipswich back then we could have done with another Hermann in the penalty area to head his own cross!

Hermann was a good defender of corners and a good attacker of corners, he scored a couple for Ipswich, but was damned unlucky on many occasions hitting the woodwork.

Our fans loved him.[/quote]

Herman :adore: - a proper defender :top:, picking up a few injuries as the years catch up but still worth a place in the team imo :)

If i remember right we were after him when he was at Ipswich.

Last edited:
S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sigh dont u just hate when u write a long post and it gets deleted :(.

I agree the PRM is better then the Spanish but i think the Spanish league is alot more competive.
Teams coming up have a easier time establishing them selfs since the money ladder isnt as steap.

Hermann is great, allways gives a 100% and leaves every thing he has on the pitch.
Not the best footballer around but makes up for what he lacks with drive and determenation imo, something alot of players could learn from.

Jack, your team Ipswich actualy have another Icelander on trial atm.
Pape Mamadou Faye, a junior NT striker that seems allways to play great with the U-19/U-21 but not as well with his club, would be a ok signing if he could adjust the English game imo.

jacksprat

jacksprat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Herman :adore: - a proper defender :top:, picking up a few injuries as the years catch up but still worth a place in the team imo :)

If i remember right we were after him when he was at Ipswich.

Could be you were after him 2002 - 2003 season, alot of clubs were interested and ipswich were having to offload big time due to relegation.
I know West Brom put in a bid for Hermann which was accepted by the club, but he turned them down because he didn't want another relegation battle! No disrespect intended but he is definately in a relegation battle now! I hope he makes a swift recovery and can help you guys avoiding the drop.

Hi Ho Pompey.

jacksprat

jacksprat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Jack, your team Ipswich actualy have another Icelander on trial atm.
Pape Mamadou Faye, a junior NT striker that seems allways to play great with the U-19/U-21 but not as well with his club, would be a ok signing if he could adjust the English game imo.

Cheers for that Sindri, I'll look out for Pape. I would have thought it is too cold in Iceland for a guy with a name like that to live! Are you sure he is not African?

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think he is actualy Sengalish(sp?) but moved to Iceland when he was kid and has a Icelandic passport.

C

chrisg750

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course the top 4 EPL teams are better than the top 4 in La Liga because its mainly 4 teams [(Arsenal, Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea) vs 2 teams (Barca, Madrid)] After that is where I believe that La Liga is better. For Example... Sevilla, Villareal, Atletico Madrid, Zaragoza, Deportivo.... I would prefer those teams rather than a Bolton, Everton, Aston Villa, Man City....I am not talking about Barca, Madrid and the top 4 EPL teams. I am speaking of THE REST! or the OTHERS

jacksprat

jacksprat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Malaga.. Bottom Side in the Primera vs. Pompey .. Bottom Side in the EPL.

Who would you pick ..

How about a 'skin of their teeth' pre season or end of season tounament every year.

The bottom two English survivors and bottom two Spanish survivors in a K. O. competition?

Some credibility could be added, and a trophy could be at stake?

I would put my money on Pompey now!

Do you like my confidence (you won't go down) beardy ian?

Hi Ho Pompey.