Ongoing Soccer Thread

jacksprat

jacksprat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shankly was the best. I still remember the day the Liverpool Echo reported he had quit. Stunned doesn't do it justice.

He lived and breathed football, like most of us.

Jacksprat - stick around - we aren't always here to comment or respond, but it doesn't mean we don't value your words - we do.

When I came across this football thread created by yourself, i became totally emersed. I went through every emotion known to man, just me alone with my bottle of Jack Daniels, interupted only by visits to the fridge for ice cubes.

When I came across your RIP Sir Bobby Robson, i took it as a chance to thank you (belated as it was), and also to introduce myself.

Nice story! San Miguel brings back some pleasant memories for me too - pretty damn fine beer - especially on a hot day in Spain!

We are a similar age too, so probably same similar football memories - I am a '57 baby.

I read your words about Ipswich in September - it must have been a great day, and a fine way to honour Bobby Robson. He was another real football man - the kind who would talk football all day to anyone who wanted to talk back. I can imagine him up there with the likes of Shankly, Busby and so many others!

Thanks for all the above, and yes I was born in 1957.

I was not allowed to like football as a kid, my father was an ex rugby player and considered football to be a girls game. I did manage to watch an F.A. Cup final at a friends house in 1965 Liverpool 2 Leeds 1, and all the choruses of "ee - ai - adio we've won the cup". That was it, hooked, never missed a cup final since.

My house must have been the only one in the whole of England that wasn't viewing the 1966 world cup final. I was informed that we had won, and never saw the game in full until many years later.

That cup final in 1965 must have been an amazing experience for you!

"Shankly has quit". The whole football world were stunned, god only knows what you felt like. The guy was larger than life, the biggest legend of all time in the world of football. His whit and passion for the game will never be surpassed, and every time you walk through the Shankly gates it must send a shiver down your spine.

Did he ever have a testimonial?
Were you there?
What was it like?

I have to say though, you had a succession of fantastic managers who emerged from the famous Liverpool boot room.

When are your American owners going to build the new ground?
I heard that part of the design was to have a 20,000 seater kop end, in the same shape as has allways been?

How do you feel about a new ground?

Would a new ground take away some of the magic on European nights?

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When I came across this football thread created by yourself, i became totally emersed. I went through every emotion known to man, just me alone with my bottle of Jack Daniels, interupted only by visits to the fridge for ice cubes.

When I came across your RIP Sir Bobby Robson, i took it as a chance to thank you (belated as it was), and also to introduce myself.

Thanks for all the above, and yes I was born in 1957.

I was not allowed to like football as a kid, my father was an ex rugby player and considered football to be a girls game. I did manage to watch an F.A. Cup final at a friends house in 1965 Liverpool 2 Leeds 1, and all the choruses of "ee - ai - adio we've won the cup". That was it, hooked, never missed a cup final since.

My house must have been the only one in the whole of England that wasn't viewing the 1966 world cup final. I was informed that we had won, and never saw the game in full until many years later.

That cup final in 1965 must have been an amazing experience for you!

"Shankly has quit". The whole football world were stunned, god only knows what you felt like. The guy was larger than life, the biggest legend of all time in the world of football. His whit and passion for the game will never be surpassed, and every time you walk through the Shankly gates it must send a shiver down your spine.

Did he ever have a testimonial?
Were you there?
What was it like?

I have to say though, you had a succession of fantastic managers who emerged from the famous Liverpool boot room.

When are your American owners going to build the new ground?
I heard that part of the design was to have a 20,000 seater kop end, in the same shape as has allways been?

How do you feel about a new ground?

Would a new ground take away some of the magic on European nights?

Currently sitting in our living room watching Villa-Chelsea - helluva game. Villa ahead 2-1 with 11 minutes left.

Funnily enough, I don't have any memories of the '65 Final even tho I was already a committed Reds fan. I do remember the '66 WC Final, and seeing tears in my Dad's eyes.

I left Liverpool to go to college in '75. I don't remember a testimonial for Shankly. I was there almost constantly from 70-75, and was at the '74 Cup Final, '78 European Cup Final, '92 Cup Final, plus various league-clinching final games, not least of which was in 1973 when Shanks was still manager....the Kop in full voice, all scarves raised to the strains of "Shankly, Shankly" as he walked around with the players, with half a dozen Liverpool scarves around his neck.

We need a new ground, there is no doubt. I'd love the Americans to sell up and move out. They have been awful. The ground should have been opening next year. Our max now is under 45,000. Arsenal is 60,000. ManU is almost 80,000. That is a lot of money to leave on the table every week!

I spent a bit of time in your part of the world back in the early 90's, working. I didn't get to Portman Road but did go to Carrow Road a few times (sorry!) I had a pal who was a Canaries fan. Went to the Newmarket races too. Nice part of the world....Thetford Forest and all that.

I still think the Ipswich team of the late 70's-early 80's is probably the best team not to win a league title - they played great football.

90 mins up at Villa - still 2-1 - 3 mins of added time.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2-1 Final. Really good game. Villa played very well.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Harry Redknapp.
:mad:

In Harry’s defence, I think he thought Tony Adams was ready to take over the reigns.
To be fair Tony was a breath of fresh air - he was so different in interviews and came across as a really nice bloke, the fans - i believe - wished he had that bit more luck as they didnt want him to go, but it was starting to get too close to call on the relegation front.

His first game in charge we hit the woodwork 4 times :eek: and every week just the tiny things went the other way and even when 2-0 up over AC Milan we only got a draw after 5 mins of extra time.

He just ended as one of the unluckiest manager ive seen for a while :(

I hope you manage to turn things around this seaon, your supporters are second to none, ask Thiery Henry! Without the Pompey chimes, the premier League would be missing a touch of old time England.

Ah yes Thierry Henry - an Honoury Pompey player if ever there was one :)

We have just signed Asmir Begovic from portsmouth on a three month loan, what is he like?

He looks pretty good and has been fairly solid in all the games ive seen him play - has been with the club since the youth level and reports have have been good.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another defeat. 4 in 9 games. 3 in a row, including Europe. Having lost the first 2 WITH Gerrard & Torres, it is impossible to blame that, but overall it does show the total lack of depth in Liverpool's squad.

Why have the likes of Babel, Voronin, N'Gog, El Zhar, etc. if they are plainly not good enough for the Premier League?

Why, Rafa, did we let players like Crouch and Keane go when they are very clearly good enough for the Premier League? We didn't even get paid for Crouch! Torres on his own up front is not a good option. When Torres is out we have no strikers - none!

Even Michael Owen on a free transfer would have helped. We have no plan B - it is Torres/Gerrard or nothing.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Rafa looks like he is under alot of pressure right now.
Wouldnt be surprised if negitive results against Lyon and Utd would seal his faith, not that i want him gone.

Liverpool where simply bad today. Even if the goal was ridic Sunderland still deserved the win.
I guess we cant complain that Utd allways get 5min+ when they need it when we get 7 and cant do anything with it.
Such a shame...

Aud300

Aud300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
COYS! Phip Dowd is the worst ref in the EPL. Last year My Spurs would have draw or lost that game.

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another defeat. 4 in 9 games. 3 in a row, including Europe. Having lost the first 2 WITH Gerrard & Torres, it is impossible to blame that, but overall it does show the total lack of depth in Liverpool's squad.

Why have the likes of Babel, Voronin, N'Gog, El Zhar, etc. if they are plainly not good enough for the Premier League?

Why, Rafa, did we let players like Crouch and Keane go when they are very clearly good enough for the Premier League? We didn't even get paid for Crouch! Torres on his own up front is not a good option. When Torres is out we have no strikers - none!

Even Michael Owen on a free transfer would have helped. We have no plan B - it is Torres/Gerrard or nothing.

I never understood WHY they let Crouch and Torres go. Watched the Canadian Footy show this morning and they explained how bad Liverpool was without Gerrard in the line up.

Looking forward to my team West Brom getting back into the Premier league...Another good win today

jacksprat

jacksprat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Lack of strikers was very evident today, you can also add Anelka to the list of sold strikers (he's not bad either). I gather Michael Owen wanted to return to Liverpool but Raffa considered him to be too much of an injury risk?

Sunderland goal.

Bizarre. Pepe Reina had Darren Bents shot covered, the ball hits a giant balloon on the edge of the six yard box, and deflects wickedly into the goal.

Ironically the balloon was thrown on to the pitch by a Liverpool fan, it looked as if Pepe Reina was keeping it in the net as some sort of mascot, unfortunately for him and Liverpool it blew on to the pitch at a very inopportune moment! Actually balloon is not right, it was more like a space hopper without the ears!

I think Liverpool's best hope for this seasons premiership is to beat Man U. twice and loose to Chelsea twice. This might prevent Man. U. from overtaking Liverpool and Man Us shared title count!

Good to see Daniel Agger back, not sure about the 3-5-2 system though!

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lack of strikers was very evident today, you can also add Anelka to the list of sold strikers (he's not bad either). I gather Michael Owen wanted to return to Liverpool but Raffa considered him to be too much of an injury risk?
I doubt rafa wanted him back, even thou i know alot of fans wanted him.
First he went to Real for next to no money because he had litle left of his contract and he basicly said sell me or i go free next year.
Funny he went to Real to win trophys and won non will Liverpool won the CL the same year :D.

Then he came back to england and Rafa wanted him back but he rather wanted to go to Newcastle because they offered more $.

That + the injury troubles is probably why Rafa didnt offer him a deal this summer.

He just a giant ass imo...

Edit: Also the Anelka thing wasnt really the clubs fault, we had him on loan and tried to sign him but his idiot brother/agent messed up the deal.

Last edited:
jacksprat

jacksprat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Looking forward to my team West Brom getting back into the Premier league...Another good win today

So you are a Baggy!

I went to see my team Ipswich loose 2 - 0 to you guys earlier in the season, you seemed to be playing very well and still playing attractive football.
What is this song you guys sing it sounds just like The Lords My Shepherd? Took me right back to the days of school assemblys.

Tony Mowbray ex Ipswich player/coach, we wanted him as manager, but he went to you instead. I kinda knew he would one day end up at Celtic.

the lab man

the lab man

CardsChat Irregular
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So you are a Baggy!

I went to see my team Ipswich loose 2 - 0 to you guys earlier in the season, you seemed to be playing very well and still playing attractive football.
What is this song you guys sing it sounds just like The Lords My Shepherd? Took me right back to the days of school assemblys.

Tony Mowbray ex Ipswich player/coach, we wanted him as manager, but he went to you instead. I kinda knew he would one day end up at Celtic.

Yes I am a Baggie grew up in Wednesbury next door to West Brom damn close to Walsall and Wolves...Grew up there in late 60s...yeah I am old ..
Claim to fame was I was actually scouted by West Brom as a young teenager but my parents immigrated to canada...Killed my dreams

Got to watch many great player players in my day

jacksprat

jacksprat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes I am a Baggie grew up in Wednesbury next door to West Brom damn close to Walsall and Wolves...Grew up there in late 60s...yeah I am old ..
Claim to fame was I was actually scouted by West Brom as a young teenager but my parents immigrated to Canada...Killed my dreams

Got to watch many great player players in my day

Bad luck for you as a teenager, I don't suppose there was much football played in Canada back then?

Great players from the sixties, Geoff Astle and Tony Brown come to mind.

More famously in the 1970s Bryan Robson, Cyril Regis and Johny Giles, yes I am an Old Git also!

I went to the hawthorns a couple of times in the 70s, I believe there were about 49,000 supporters in the ground.

Another good result yesterday for you guys, looking good for promotion.

If you get promoted, do you want Wolves to get rellegated? Or would you rather have the derby game?

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Sunderland goal.

Bizarre. Pepe Reina had Darren Bents shot covered, the ball hits a giant balloon on the edge of the six yard box, and deflects wickedly into the goal.

Ironically the balloon was thrown on to the pitch by a Liverpool fan, it looked as if Pepe Reina was keeping it in the net as some sort of mascot, unfortunately for him and Liverpool it blew on to the pitch at a very inopportune moment! Actually balloon is not right, it was more like a space hopper without the ears!

I think Liverpool's best hope for this seasons premiership is to beat Man U. twice and loose to Chelsea twice. This might prevent Man. U. from overtaking Liverpool and Man Us shared title count!

Good to see Daniel Agger back, not sure about the 3-5-2 system though!

I doubt rafa wanted him back, even thou i know alot of fans wanted him.
That + the injury troubles is probably why Rafa didnt offer him a deal this summer.
Edit: Also the Anelka thing wasnt really the clubs fault, we had him on loan and tried to sign him but his idiot brother/agent messed up the deal.

I know the stuff with Owen is a close call, and I would have had mixed feelings about re-signing him, but I do 100% believe that Rafa allows personal feelings to decide who stays and who goes, to the detriment of the team and the club.

From the team's perspective, we are clearly very, very light in the striker department. As I said yesterday, it is practically Torres or nothing.

Crouch was doing OK, but Rafa limited his opportunities to try form a partnership with Torres - then "sold" him (although we only got "paid" through the Johnson deal.

Keane wasn't Rafa's signing apparently. Keane started to find form at Xmas last year, scoring 3 in 2 games - then got dropped for 5-6 games and sold for a loss back to Spurs. That period IMO was when we lost the league, dropping points to Everton, Stoke etc. when Torres was out injured.

Owen might have been risky but there is no doubt he is head and shoulders above Ngog and El Zhar!

If your face doesn't fit with Rafa you are doomed - Benayoun is another example of a good player who has to live with limited chances, regularly scoring and creating goals On the other hand, Lucas is very dodgy but gets chance after chance!

The Sunderland goal was crazy, but we still couldn't score in 90 minutes.

Aud300

Aud300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll take Crouchino.. Also I want the standings to stay the same right now 3rd in the league

jacksprat

jacksprat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We now have Ten premier clubs under foreign ownership.

Once we get to 14/20 there will probably be a 39th premier game every season! The 39th (10 games)will be played in a selection of countries decided by the respective owners.

How do you fans who support teams in the Premier League feel about this?

I personally think the whole idea stinks. Another money making scheme, but what about the fans? The costs of watching your team play football are bad enough now, without having to travel to Hong Kong or Dubai!

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The idea of the 39th game is stupid, moronic and idiotic so the FA will probably push ahead with it :rolleyes: :p

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ridiculous. Fortunately (I hope) there is still enough "fan-power" to kill something like this.

I hope we never get to the stage of American sports where teams are re-located to different cities depending on the owner.....but if they decide to move ManU to Madagascar I will have to stand by and watch it happen.....

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gesshoo, clearly a club like Man Utd should just move where the can have the biggest stadium and a completly untapped fan base.
Dont you agree?

So i suggest Man Utd relocate to Pyongyang, North-Korea and move into the 150K capacity Rungrado May stadium.
"Home of Man Utd and mass exacutions" could be there slogan :p.

Also did u catch the fact that Mike Jones isnt reffing any PRM game next weekend. Suposedly his punishment for allowing the beachball goal...

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sounds even better than Madagascar!

Yeah, I heard he has Scunthorpe in the Championship.....hope it rains all day!

Aud300

Aud300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds even better than Madagascar!

Yeah, I heard he has Scunthorpe in the Championship.....hope it rains all day!

How do you Think I feel About Bent ( My Last Name as Well ) scoring all those goals for Sunderland this season when he couldn't hit his A** with two hands last season.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont really think its fair to critize Bent for his Spurs spell.
1. He had a fine 1/3 scoring record.
2. He was your top scorer last season.
3. He didnt really get alot of chances. Redknapp Seemed to prefer other players and either subed or benched him alot.

Granted he did have the horrible miss (vs West Ham?) but what striker doesnt miss sitters every once in a while?

Aud300

Aud300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know, I know and after the way Keane is non - existent this season except for Burnley at home I am still mad Redknapp sent him on his way. I personally think Dindane's misses are Miss of the season 1 and 2 in October !