Ongoing Soccer Thread

Az__Avfc

Az__Avfc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, yeah just seen that group didn't realise it was so close, I don't really know about injuries etc. with these two but Russia have home advantage but germany are Germany and always pull out results when needed, I can't pick a winner so I'll go for the draw.

portugal and france still have a lot of work if they are to make so I'll keep an eye out for there results aswell.

Tonky666

Tonky666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea true..portugal too!!
the russia vs germany game will be the game of the month for me :p
because the next games are against struggling ,weak opponents ..
so who ever wins here goes directly through u can say in a way(but football full of suprises)

but its pretty even russian and germany both have they top sides in top form(and only 1 player from russia..forgot who though)!
but russia does have a home advantage and in germany lost 2-1 ,1st half goes to germans and 2nd to russia,because russia played defensive football and they not a defensive side,and 2nd half attacked..
but it will be a CRACKER :D:D cant wait

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
yea true..portugal too!!
the russia vs germany game will be the game of the month for me :p
because the next games are against struggling ,weak opponents ..
so who ever wins here goes directly through u can say in a way(but football full of suprises)

but its pretty even russian and germany both have they top sides in top form(and only 1 player from russia..forgot who though)!
but russia does have a home advantage and in germany lost 2-1 ,1st half goes to germans and 2nd to russia,because russia played defensive football and they not a defensive side,and 2nd half attacked..
but it will be a CRACKER :D:D cant wait

Both Russia and Germany are strong on the offense and a bit weak on the the inner defense imo though the young german goalie (Adler) is awesome.

If I had to bet I'd say 2-2 giving Germany (in the lead by 2 points) a good chance to make 1st in the group - the game against finland won't be too easy though (1-1 first game).

Tonky666

Tonky666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
they leading by 1 POINT not 2...its 21 russia and 22 germany and 14 finland..
and i think geramany not as offensive but are a bit better in defense though and russian golaie good too, akinfeev and is also very young (i think 21 or 22)
so its even but i do think the home advantage will maybe help russia but who knows ...dont think anyone can predict this game exactly..
and after i read this i just knew u german :p then saw u are from germany :) (dont mean anything bad u just knew the german goalie tehehe)
so guess we gonna have to see to find out...

jacksprat

jacksprat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember Bobby Robson managing a very good Ipswich Town side in the late 70's/early 80's - they finished 2nd to Liverpool one year and played great football. They also won an FA Cup, beating Arsenal in the final, and a UEFA Cup, I think.

He went from there to winning league titles in Holland, Portugal and Spain before becoming England manager - and he got them to the quarters in 1986 (beaten by "the hand of God") and the semis in 1990 - beaten on pens by the bloody Germans - again! Each time they went out to the eventual World Cup winners in very close games.

A great manager and seemed a very nice man.

RIP Bobby Robson.

Sorry, I have only just come across this football thread.

I thankyou Gesshoo for the mention of the late Sir Bobby Robson. As an Ipswich fan, he was my hero, as an English fan he was also my hero, the most unlucky England Manager ever. Who will ever forget the hand of God 86, or Gazzers tears, and inches shy of a touch into an empty German net 1990!

26-9-2009 a very emotional day at Portman Rd, Ipswich v Newcastle, both sets of fans joining in with abide with me. Grown men in tears (me also). Ipswich 0 Newcastle 4, but the result pailed into insignificance on the day. 26-9-2009..The north Stand was renamed the Sir Bobby Robson Stand.
You mentioned Ipswich finishing 2nd in the 80s to Liverpool, correct, but they also finished 2nd to Villa. They also finished 3rd three times in the 70s.
In the 80s Bobby Robson insisted that Ipswich had the best 11 players, and if it wasn't for injuries and suspensions they would have won the title at least once. Ipswich just never had the finances to compete for the whole season (squad size). Two of our greatest players of that era - John Wark and David Johnson, were sold when the mighty Liverpool came calling. Good business, but very sad for the supporters.

RIP Sir Bobby Robson, You touched my heart, and your lifes works had a major affect on me and many others.

jacksprat

jacksprat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This one is for gesshoo.

Hopefully an amusing story.

My mate John (Arsenal fan) and me (Ipswich fan), go on an allinclusive holiday in Spain with our wives. Day three of the holiday we manage to get away from the wives. We leave them on their sun beds and go out on the beer, or should I say sneeked out!

After experimenting with the different Spanish beers and Sandgrias on offer in various bars, all the time continuing on our pub crawl, we settled on bottled San Miguel (beat the hell out of the hotel beer),being the most refreshing option.

About three hours later we come across this Scotish bar selling draught Guinness (my drink)and draft Adnams (johns drink), so we settle down for the session, congratulating each other on such an incredible find. We chat with the landlord (Chugga) for sometime, the walls and ceilings of his bar are covered in Scottish and Celtic football scarfs shirts and articles. We both love football, and appreciate the rights of others to follow who ever they like. For the next hour or so many football stories were exchanged and much laughter was had by all. Then Chugga was relieved by his barman so he could have his afternoon Siesta. The barman had no interest in football girls or drinking, so we decided to drink out the back in the sunshine.

Out the back, there were tables and chairs for chuggas bar and tables and chairs for the four adjoining Spanish bars on either side. Just beyond, opposite the outside seating of all five was a large play area for children to play football (what else). Anyway innitially it was Siesta time for most locals, and we were the only two idiots sitting outside in that punnishing heat, it was so hot we were drinking 1/4 litre, so the beer didn't boil over.

Some time passed by and the Spanish outside areas began to be occupied. In the distance Spanish boys were playing football, but get this of the seven boys, four of them were wearing Liverpool number 9 torres shirts. The ball came over near us, and my mate decided to show his ball juggling skills (drunk and 50 yrs old), the Spanish boy was very amused and gave a sort of polite clap along with some of the Spanish locals, accepted the ball back said Gracias then returned to his friends.

Unbeknown to us (it was done on purpose) the ball arrived at our table again. In the meantime we had been quietly practising the Torres song. "Your turn to do some ball jugling" said John, up I get, manage 5 on my head, not bad for a drunk 53 yr old! I hand the ball back to a different Torres shirted boy, he says Gracias and whistles for his friends to come nearer. He then proceeds to show us some amazing ball skills, while he is doing this John and I looked at each other and started to sing.

His armband proved he was a red Torres Torres
you'll never walk alone again Torres Torres
we bought the lad from sunny Spain
he gets the ball and scores again
Fernando Torres Liverpools number 9

When we got to Na na na na na na na na, some of the guys at a Spanish table started clapping in tune.
Second time around we had clapping all the way through
Third time around we had clapping and Na Nas
fourth time around the other 3 Spanish tables joined in
In the end some of the Spanish were singing some of the words.
Through all of this, maybe 10 - 12 verses the boy continued to juggle the ball.

The boy was amazing, the first Spaniard to clap turned out to be the father of two of the boys, followed by the fathers of the other 5 boys. His father said my sons names are Fernando and Jose, Jose being the tallented one! For all the other Spaniards and their wives to join in made for a truly amazing occasion. I was feeling quite drunk, but the whole experience was totally uplifting.

We went back to Chuggas bar every day after that, loaded with a camera, but alas we never saw the Torres boys again. We couldn't let our wives down again by staying out all day/night. You know how it is!

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh well BS............. I mean Black Sun ( Black Sun-BS, same thing right?) As usual you are more hope and prayers than you are reality check.
It's too much work trying to quote you in recent times as you tend to slip up with every post. But anyway, you stated not so long ago in defence of Liverpool, and more to the point, Gerrard playing alongside Torres, that they only played 15 games together last season ( which is incorrect btw )

With 3 defeats from only 8 games so far this season in the prem, and the terrible two playing alongside each other, what would you now say about their apparent partnership?
If you include Europe, that's 4 defeats from 10 games. Can you quote to me how many times Gerrard and Torres played in the same game from those 10 games? I think you will find they are nearing last seasons total of 15 ( which is incorrect btw ) already.

You also stated that players like Ryan Giggs were well past their sell by date and almost worthless apart from the "odd" display. Adding to that you said that Wayne Rooney had little or no chance of hitting 20 plus goals this season. While I am well aware that the season is still young, I wanted to know what your thoughts were on things so far regarding your pre-season predictions?

I must say, if you knew half as much about Liverpool, as you apparently know about Man Utd, you would actually know a few things about your own team. Like many others, you fall into the trap of being more interested in the enemy than the team you follow. Anyway, do you have anything to say about your pre-season comments, compared to post season actualities?

So what dont I know about my team (that being the one I have followed for 29 years) How many games did Torres and Gerrard start together in the PL last year? as that was actually what i said. As for how their partnership is doing well lets see, Torres is top scorer in the PL and Liverpool are the 2nd highest scorers so far behind arsenal, who went ahead when they put 6 past Blackburn and have scored more in the 1st 8 games of a season, thats our best start since the 19th century in terms of attacking prowess. Thats not been the problem so far, its at the back we have struggled, Carra has been poor and has not been in a settled CB pairing for most of the season, Skrtel seemed to be shakey after he came back from the fractured jaw he recieved in the 1st half against Spurs. With new (Johnson) and an inexperienced (Insua) fullbacks finding their feet in the system, combined with the CB issues its hardly surprising we have looked unusually susceptible to errors. As with most things rafa will get it right, IMO in the not to distant future.
Liverpool (under Rafa) usually finish the season much stronger than they start so I am not overly concerned, as within our start we have lost to 3 of the laudid big teams in Villa, Spurs and Chelsea (2 of them tough away games) if we beat Utd at home, in a couple of weeks, suddenly the whole outlook changes again.

As for how have we done so far, well as somebody else said we do seem to lack a little consistancy right now but as always the press love to critise Liverpool no matter what they do, last season Rafa was never gonna win the league cos his tactics were too defensive, now hes finally got the team almost where he wants it, his team are too gung ho!?!? Last season it was Liverpool cant win the title cos they dont do well enough against the so called weaker teams, this year we batter Stoke and Burnley 4-0 and put 6 past Hull but we cant win the title cos we lose a tight encounter against Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. The reality is we are better against the lesser opposition cos Lucas has made us more mobile getting forward where Xabi slowed us up too much againt them, but we do seem to miss Xabi's ability to keep possesion in tight spaces against the other top 5 or 6 teams, I am sure Rafa will sort this, it may just need Aquilani to get fit but we will see.

As for Giggs and Rooney I still stand by what I said. Its very early in the season to be claiming pre-season predictions are wrong, neither have done more than I predicted yet and Utd have been fortunate getting goals in the last minute as usual, Chelsea have done OK, but will still need to have a healthy lead come January IMO as I feel they will struggle with the loss of key players to African Nations, Arsenal have done the same as usual looking great going forward at times but looking woeful at the back against such powerhouses as Blackburn. City have ridden high on the back of all their star signings, again I suspect come xmas they will have dropped off the pace and Villa hit their peak at Anfield in August.

As for the 'see u dont know anything posts' how about u wait til any of these things has actually been concluded before having a 'I told U so' dance.

Last edited:
jacksprat

jacksprat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to Raffa... Aquilani is far more mobile and has better passing ability than Alonso, could this be true? I have also heard he has a history of being injury prone, is this true?

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to Raffa... Aquilani is far more mobile and has better passing ability than Alonso, could this be true? I have also heard he has a history of being injury prone, is this true?
Rumor has it he makes Harry Kewell look healthy :(

jacksprat

jacksprat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If I had a wife like Harry Kewell's - Cheree Murphy, I don't think I would ever have turned up for training either!

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Most Roma fans I've spoken to on football forums rate him very highly and weren't happy that he was sold. As for injuries, the general consensus seems to be that he's been unlucky with certain injuries and the Roma medical staff are poor and rush players back too quickly, Roma had a shocking injury backlog last year which kinda backs this up and that Aquilani has suffered because of this. This is why Rafa has been been cautious in bringing him back too soon. TBH as with any new signing we will just have to wait and see.

Tonky666

Tonky666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
o well im disappointed with russia :( we could have easily won but they just didnt finish of !

ther were '2' penalties not given but i disagree maybe 1 could be but the ref gave them a red card..

congrads to germany on making SA

now i just hope we beat the play offs team,i wonder who it is

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
o well im disappointed with russia :( we could have easily won but they just didnt finish of !

ther were '2' penalties not given but i disagree maybe 1 could be but the ref gave them a red card..

congrads to germany on making SA

now i just hope we beat the play offs team,i wonder who it is

As predicted it was a close game - Adler (the german goalie) saved germany imo.

As for the penalties - not sure about the first, but the second one was crystal clear.

Russia has got a good chance of getting in through the back door - certainly depending on the opponent - but I think they will make it.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
did anyone else see argentina vs peru last night? i was randomly channel flicking when i came across it and wow, argentina were horrible (but insanely lucky).

apparently they need to draw in uruguay on wednesday, which i can see them failing to do. maradona brings the lulz!

Tonky666

Tonky666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As predicted it was a close game - Adler (the german goalie) saved germany imo.

As for the penalties - not sure about the first, but the second one was crystal clear.

Russia has got a good chance of getting in through the back door - certainly depending on the opponent - but I think they will make it.

agree ,the 1st wasnt a penalty but 2nd might have been..i think russia can beat any team in the play offs if they play well hope its a team like ireland,but play portugal would be nice too:p

jacksprat

jacksprat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:rofl:

That should be scheduled for 12 rounds imo :p

Very funny.

They have had some ding dongs in the past, and this encounter will be no exception. Fireworks on Wednesday evening and we don't have to pay to view!

O

Oggy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all... i am fan of Arsenal, and Slavia Prague. When you mention MLS i was few matches when i was waiting for some tournament or i had it as background... and my favourite club there is New England Revolution....
ps: sorry for my bad english...

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Meaningless international friendlys can be so boring.
Atleast Iceland won for a change, Iceland-South Africa 1-0 in one of the worst games if seen in some time.

I cant wait for the international break ends and u can see some interesting games.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi all... i am fan of Arsenal, and Slavia Prague. When you mention MLS i was few matches when i was waiting for some tournament or i had it as background... and my favourite club there is New England Revolution....
ps: sorry for my bad english...

Welcome oggy to CC and this thread.

We understand what you said so your english isn't that bad...:D.

Have seen much worse from native speakers lately...:eek:.

Tonky666

Tonky666

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yea SA doing very bad,todays gonna be a big day :D kazan and russia playing YAY!!!!!!!!
wanna see the outcomes..