Ongoing Soccer Thread

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
we should start a cardschat sweepstakes on what date mark hughes gets sacked.

Yeah - I've had the same thought. If they are not top 6 at Xmas I think it will be bye-bye.

I don't think they can play 4-3-3 - they would get killed by too many teams in midfield.

I can't see them leaving Robinho out - he would leave. Adebayor on the bench - I don't think so. He is tall enough to work well with Robinho, whereas Tevez is smaller. Playing 3 strikers will be a problem.....I just struggle to see how he is going to please all his top quality players.

And I haven't even mentioned Santa Cruz or Bellamy!

K

kevkojak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I doubt Wright Phillips is gonna play much and Ireland(despite beeing great last season) will probably find him self on the bench alot to make way for "big names".
There probably going to be playing a 433 with Adebayor up on top with Robinho and Tevez on the wings and Barry,De Jong and Kompany in midfield imo...
But there squad is so big and there attacking options so massive its just a guessing game how they will line up.

I dont think City will do good this season, no doubt there building a great squad but i just dont belive that a team with like 4936 strikers on there pay roll can keep up a good dressing room moral if they hit s bumb in the road.
Hughes is gonna be first to get the sack this year!

Its a little known fact that Hughes has asked his team to grow long hair and moustaches this season for the new formation.....1-1-8 1-1-8!

Seriously though, I have put a handicap-bet on City every season for as long as I can remember (usually 15-1 odds on them winning the prem with a 20-30 point start).
This season... 15-1 odds with a 10 point start!!! So if United or Chelsea break 90 points, we've gotta be in with 80+! No chance!
I stuck a fiver on it, (couldn't ever back against the 'great unpredictables' Man City), but nothing like what I usually put on them. Won £300 the season before last with a 39 point start. Those days are long gone.
Top 6 this season? Here's hoping!

If anyone here does have a wager on the footie...william hill are offering some good prices at the mo. City's is pretty poor, but Hull to finish within 54 points of eventual winners: 15-1. Tottenham have something like a 40 pt start too with same odds. Worth a tenner of anyones money!

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So - Alonso to Real for THIRTY MILL??????

The world has gone mad.

Good player? Yes. Great goalscoring record? No. Is he Stevie G, Lampard? No. Real just decide they want a player at the moment and money is no object. As much as I admire Alonso, he is not worth that kind of money.

Trouble is, anyone we want to buy now will have 5-10 mill added to his true valuation.

MrMuckets

MrMuckets

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now this is a fine cauldron of selicants. :mad::mad:

Az__Avfc

Az__Avfc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alonso goes for £30m, thats a good price for him imo especailly as he wanted to leave. A deal taking Aquilani to Liverpool has been confirmed for betweem £16-22m depending on your source.

MrMuckets

MrMuckets

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Coelacanth. Sorry for the mispelling but spell checker didn't work on the word.:(:(:(

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't know anything about Aquilani. Does anybody?

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't know anything about Aquilani. Does anybody?
Fromer U21 Italy captain, has been there bigest prospect for years but is more injury prone then Owen,Kewell and Aurellio combined :(.
Dont watch much Seria A but what if seen from him is good but the fact he has a hard time playing more then 20games a season makes me a sceptic(that and the fact Italyan players allways seem to have a hard time adapting to the PRM).

But for the reported 15-20M i think he is a good gamble, but still a gamble.

Now Rafa hopefully has 10-15M left to buy a quality left winger(hopefully some one versitile).

MrMuckets

MrMuckets

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone's aware that Van Der Sar is out til Sept. Right?:):)

Az__Avfc

Az__Avfc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Right. Fosters chance to prove himself has finally come, if Kuszczak (sp?) starts then I really doubt Foster will ever be Uniteds number one.

Habib Beye signs for Villa for £2.5m, for the price he's a decent signing, couple of years left in him and will provide good cover/competition for Young and RB. We still need a CB though as we only have Cuellar and Davies in those posistions. Cuellar has looked good in pre season and I am confident that he can really bomb on this season and prove himself as a top class defender. We have also signed Delph from Leeds, tbh I havent seen much of him but he seems to be very highly rated by Leeds fans and the media so could possible be a very good signing if he lives up to his promise.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Attachments

• 20090808-124614_Postman_Pa.jpg.jpg
    20090808-124614_Postman_Pa.jpg.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 11
Az__Avfc

Az__Avfc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pompey are in for a rough season, at the moment I can see them getting relegated, what happened to the takeover?

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pompey are in for a rough season, at the moment I can see them getting relegated, what happened to the takeover?

Its still going on - just all taking way too long :(

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Miracle half time talk required here i think

Norwich 0 - 5 Colchester

:eek:

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pompey beat Rangers 2-0 today - im in shock :eek:

Didn't think we had enough players to make a team lol :D

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it was the Texas Rangers! :D

WTG Ian - your loan Frog did OK for you man!

Have to say Liverpool's pre-season form has really worried me....saw the game vs Atletico and it was below standard again. OK, the first goal happened while Carragher was off the field and before his sub came on. OK, after he went off our centre backs were both 19-year olds (no Agger or Skrtel). OK, it was only pre-season and nobody wants to get hurt....so maybe all will be well against Spurs. :confused: More hopeful than confident right now!

What about the Charity Shield tomorrow? I have only seen clips of ManU pre-season and they have done OK, but I have seen lots of Chelsea and they look GOOD. Chelsea to win 2-1 IMO.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only pre-season ive seen is Real Madrid v Toronto the other night, but as its Man Utd playing i'll have to back Chelsea lol :D

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Miracle half time talk required here i think

Norwich 0 - 5 Colchester :eek:

Didn't get a whole let better 2nd half, either! Final 1-7!

After Ipswich, Colchester are their nearest local rivals, to make it even worse! I have a friend who is a Canaries fan - sorry for him today!

Sad news about the Espanyol captain Daniel Jarque. Dying from a heart attack at 26 is just wrong.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/8191861.stm

That is very sad. When you think of the medical care and tests that these players must get nowadays - how does something like this just happen?

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Penalty shoot out starting :D.

Giggs missed...

edit.
lol what a horrible pen from evra

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol at chelsea - 4 great penalties in a competition nobody cares about but whenever there is a shootout in a big game they invariably bottle it.

also yeah evra's pen was hilarious - i'm not sure it would have even reached the goal line if cech had left it. :eek: