Ongoing Soccer Thread

SPCotter

SPCotter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there a ban-hammer nearby i could borrow? lol :p :D

If (and its a big if) we (Pompey) can find 11 players each week we might have a chance to stay up - even 1% is a chance right? :D

I dunno if this is for the open forum, sorry a bit off topic, you been down to Duffs Full House in Waterlooville since it opened? I went down a few times last week, a mate I used to work with is a reg and went down with him, losing £140 on the first night stupidly playing heads up after doing well in cash for a few hours, and won £225 in a tourney sat night.

Sorry, but Pompey are going down! :D maybe you can finish above Hull?

Edit: thats assuming you are actually in portsmouth!

Swear Engine

Swear Engine

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here's my idea of the final table.

1. Man United
2. Chelsea
3. Arsenal
4. Everton
5. Liverpool
6. Aston Villa
7. Spurs
8. Man City
9. Sunderland
10. Fulham
11. West Ham
12. Blackburn
13. Wigan
14. Bolton
15. Birmingham
16. Stoke
17. Portsmouth
18. Wolves
19. Burnley
20. Hull

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A quick glance at the fixture list of the big four during Aug/Sept looks interesting.

Arsenal

Aug 15 Everton (A)
Aug 22 Portsmouth (H)
Aug 29 Man Utd (A)
Sep 12 Man City (A)
Sep 19 Wigan (H)
Sep 26 Fulham (A)

Chelsea

Aug 15 Hull (H)
Aug 18 Sunderland (A)
Aug 23 Fulham (A)
Aug 29 Burnley (H)
Sep 12 Stoke (A)
Sep 20 Spurs (H)
Sep 26 Wigan (A)

Liverpool

Aug 16 Spurs (A)
Aug 19 Stoke (H)
AUG 24 Aston Villa (H)
Aug 29 Bolton (A)
Sep 12 Burnley (H)
Sep 19 West Ham (A)
Sep 26 Hull (H)

Man Utd

Aug 16 Birmingham (H)
Aug 19 Burnley (A)
Aug 22 Wigan (A)
Aug 29 Arsenal (H)
Sep 12 Spurs (A)
Sep 20 Man City (H)
Sep 26 Stoke (A)

ARSENAL ................Wow, four very tough away fixtures for them. They will really need to hit the ground running if they want to stay in touch at the top during Aug/Sept. They only have two home games during that time but must be thankful that it's against ( on paper ) weaker opposition.

CHELSEA.................This would have to be the dream starting fixture list tbh if you want to rack up the points early. On paper you would have to say that Fulham away and Spurs at home are the only two games that might concern them. And lets be honest, not exactly huge concerns.

LIVERPOOL .............Some tricky away games but a Liverpool team playing well would cope with those ties ok. You couldn't really ask for more than Burnley, Hull and Stoke at home tbh with a juicy match against the Villa sandwiched in between.

MAN UTD................Appear to have three good opening fixtures to try and put some points on the board and might need them when you look at their next three matches. Three very tough games against Arsenal, Spurs and Man city.

It looks like Chelsea have the best list and in some ways they might need it. They are still fine tuning the way their new manager wants them to play and these games are the best you could ask for during that transitional period. They can still rack up some big points even if their new system takes a bit of time to come to fruition.
Arsenal might find themselves with a small mountain to climb as early as October if they are not careful. Liverpool and Man Utd should tick along nicely with their openers.

But of course it is a funny old game and anything can happen really. But on paper it looks like Chelsea can break away early from the pack and Arsenal might struggle a bit to keep pace.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
About to place some bets for the start of the league.

Villa - Top 4 finish
Rooney - Top Goalscorer
Chelski - Premier League Title
Burnley/Hull/Stoke - Relegation Tricast

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol rooney top scorer?? I doubt it, torres is prob favourite for that title

MrMuckets

MrMuckets

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villa? Make that top six.
Rooney? Maybe if he stays healthy. But i don't think he will even be top on Man Utd.
Chelski? This could happen.
Burnley, Hull, Stokes? Hull and Stokes will surprise.:):):)

Last edited:
S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hull going down is good bet imo, muckets.
Second part of last season they looked like a division 2 womens team from Singpour they where so bad and they havent really improved there squad much this summer :S.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Villa - Top 4 finish
Rooney - Top Goalscorer

What kind of odds are you getting?

Should be good odds on Villa, but they have a chance of course - they are still a decent team, even without Barry.

Rooney - maybe. He can score goals. Torres is better, but injury-prone. Man City strikers will probably miss a lot of games between them. I guess I'd say Anelka if I had to pick, but Rooney has a chance.

Chelsea - I think they will win it, unfortunately!

Hull - yes. Burnley - yes. Stoke? I think there are a few worse than them - they are pretty good defensively and that should keep them up.

Good luck with the bets - tell us the odds you are getting?

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Villa - Top 4 finish
Rooney - Top Goalscorer

All long shots for me hope ur getting gr8 odds
Villa- no chance at top 4
Rooney - gr8 player but unlikely to ever be top scorer
Chelski - didnt challenege at all last year in reality and havent added anything this year for me
Burnley/hull/stoke - i can see good arguements for burnley and hull but stoke will be ok I think , birmingham, wolves and pompey to name just 3 in worst shape for me.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just wondering if any one here would be intrested in a draft?
Seen/been in thouse things on a couple other forums and there usualy fun.
You could draft any player from any league currently playing football into your team and when the draft finishes we vote the best team, could have some side bets if people are intrested.
I would be happy to set it up but im not gonna bother if no one is gonna play.

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm interested Sindri. I'm not too familiar with how it all works but you can put my name down, cheers.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol rooney top scorer?? I doubt it, torres is prob favourite for that title

Villa? Make that top six.
Rooney? Maybe if he stays healthy. But i don't think he will even be top on Man Utd.
Chelski? This could happen.
Burnley, Hull, Stokes? Hull and Stokes will surprise.:):):)

What kind of odds are you getting?

Should be good odds on Villa, but they have a chance of course - they are still a decent team, even without Barry.

Rooney - maybe. He can score goals. Torres is better, but injury-prone. Man City strikers will probably miss a lot of games between them. I guess I'd say Anelka if I had to pick, but Rooney has a chance.

Chelsea - I think they will win it, unfortunately!

Hull - yes. Burnley - yes. Stoke? I think there are a few worse than them - they are pretty good defensively and that should keep them up.

Good luck with the bets - tell us the odds you are getting?

All long shots for me hope ur getting gr8 odds
Villa- no chance at top 4
Rooney - gr8 player but unlikely to ever be top scorer
Chelski - didnt challenege at all last year in reality and havent added anything this year for me
Burnley/hull/stoke - i can see good arguements for burnley and hull but stoke will be ok I think , birmingham, wolves and pompey to name just 3 in worst shape for me.

massive lol at everybody not giving us a chance at finishing 4th!!

I got villa @ 10/1 which was ok.
Chelski - 2/1 but it qualified for a free bet.
Rooney 11/1 - I think he will thrive off the fact that he hasnt got ronaldo to take the spotlight so will have alot to proove this season. Especially with the world cup next year.
I went for burnley, hull and wolves 16/1 - I just dont think wolves are going to hack it, they havent got in enough players.

Yeah torres is like 3/1 but its boring going for the fav and injury prone IMO.
Chelski looked very good at the end of last year and in the charity shield. I think they have a chance.
Man City wont be a threat IMO, you cant just simply buy a great football team the squad has to be able to gel and play together as a unit. Look at Real madrid a few seasons ago and again this season they do it every year and under achieve.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
meh i think city will be a threat, chelsea were straight after they bought the world, plus football isn't as much as a team sport as others like hockey or rugby where a team who have played together for ages but with no stars will usually be favourites over a team of stars who haven't played together much

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
massive lol at everybody not giving us a chance at finishing 4th!!

what's changed from last season to make you think you have a shot at 4th this time around?

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
downing will work very well with petrov IMO and we needed abit more strength at the back and up top. Beye is an ok signing but we still need 1 class player.
Aggy was appauling after christmas and has to score some goals in order to make a statement or he will be looking at being dropped again like he was last season.
Milner was also sick vs holland the other night and was all of last season so I think he will do us goot, he is also probs one of the most under rated players IMO.

Man city's back 4 are still dodgy IMO even with toure, their midfield isn't anything compared to the big 4 either. I think Villa's midfield is better even if Man City have him .
downing, young, milner, petrov Vs barry, SWP, ireland, De Jong
although steven Ireland is a sick player, and also depends where they play robinho I spose up top or left mid.

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
downing will work very well with petrov IMO and we needed abit more strength at the back and up top. Beye is an ok signing but we still need 1 class player.
Aggy was appauling after christmas and has to score some goals in order to make a statement or he will be looking at being dropped again like he was last season.
Milner was also sick vs holland the other night and was all of last season so I think he will do us goot, he is also probs one of the most under rated players IMO.
Yeah but Downing wont be back til decenber and wont be match fit til after xmas and where will he, Young and Milner all play in the same team.
You lost Laursen to injury and your defence was so pourous after he went and U havent replaced him. And you lost your captain and midfield linchpin and havent replaced him.
So what makes you think you will finish above the top 4 who have been the same for years and a very solid Everton who always finish in and around 5th?

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol Adebayor nets already.

I dont personally rate barry so will probs give a biased view about him. Yeah laursen has been a shitter and also Zat Knight IMO, he was a good solid CB towards the end of last season.
I still think we need to make at least another signing this year yet, Tuncay would be a good signing as I rate him highly. Beye looks ok and Delph is a young, quick and upcoming player abit like young tbh.

We're all over Wigan atm aswell!

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah but did you see the goal? Was a ****ing sick strike fair play to him.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nah haven't seen it yet, im watching blackburn v man city.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wigan played very well, scoring 2 good goals - and poor Villa looked worse and worse as the game went on. The crowd were going mad for Carew but he wasn't even on the bench at the end.

Good win for City, but it looked like Blackburn had a lot of the play?

Sunderland seemed to dominate Bolton away looking at the stats.

Pompey were always going to have a hard time against a tough Fulham team. New boys Burnley and Wolves look like they'll struggle all season - they'll both play tougher teams than West Ham and Stoke, although the Irons and Potters are both decent teams IMO.

Watching Everton-Arsenal now. 0-0 after 10 mins. Not expecting a 6-5 thriller here!

Isn't it great to have football back!

Last edited:
S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
City looked good and bad at the same time imo.
They where obvs. strong and had a lot of option every time they whent forward but sometimes it just didnt click and maked some sloppy passes and some selfish players shooting/dribbling instead of passing.