Ongoing Soccer Thread

Az__Avfc

Az__Avfc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Don't think it has been mentioned yet but Ibrahimovic to Barcelona for €40 plus Eto'o plus Hleb on loan for a season. Massive deal for a player that over here in the UK isn't really rated by many. Looking foward to see how he adapts in Spain after pratically dragging Inter to the scudetto last season. I think Mourinho must have recognised this and realised that it is the over dependence on Zlatan that they fail in Europe, a change of style was needed from Inter if they want to compete in Europe but another creative player is needed (step foward Cassano).

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Barcelona got screwed so bad on this deal.
40M+Eto+Hleb on loan for a striker that is just a year younger then Eto and hasnt profen him self in la liga :S.
Sure Eto just had a year left on his contract but Zlatan had 4 but its still a massiv rip off imo.
I rate Eto 5x more then Zlatan...

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also looks like Arbeloa is closing in on Madrid and Dossena on Napoli.
Would have prefered to keep them both just to have a big squad but i guess Rafa has to sell to buy.
Dossena is like 3rd in line for left back and 4th for Left wing so he wont be missed but Arbeloa on the other hand is just second string for right back and can also play as a central defender so i would have prefered to keep him atleast(besides the 4.5M Madrid are bidding is laugable even if he only has a year left one his contract).

Az__Avfc

Az__Avfc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Barcelona have Eto'o have always had an uneasy relationship though, I read that Eto'o had made it clear to Barca that he would leave on a free at the end of his contract anyway. Barca seen exchanging him as the only way to recoup any of his value by doing this they have got an adequate replacement in Zlatan. Inter got the best of the deal easily with the 40mil aswell but Ibrahimovic was worth more to Inter than Eto'o was to Barca imo. Ibra is a good player more skillful than Eto'o and more able to create chances for himself and others but Eto'o is arguably the best out and out striker there is right now.

The extra exposure might make people over here rate Ibra more highly.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fully admit I don't watch Italian football, but I don't think I've ever actually seen Zlatan play really well in any European or International game I've seen him play in.

So that deal makes me lol.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Watched Chelsea play well again over here - they look very good.

Liverpool looked better in their last game- young reserve striker Nemeth scored 2 when he came on at half-time - looks like a good striker. Took both goals very well. Not much competition for 2nd striker at LFC right now.....

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Beijing v Hull on tv now - thrilling lol :D

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Bayern vs ManU friendly today in Munich.

Guess there IS one thing that can stop me from playing poker all evening today.

Dang it, I could have gone and watched it live at the Alliance Arena but I seem to have lost my referee id with which I would have been able to enter for free. :eek:

Though it's a friendly match I do hope it will be a thriller still.

Az__Avfc

Az__Avfc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
RIP Sir Bobby, a genuine loss to the game.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i'm about 20 times more upset about sir bobby passing away than i was about MJ, even though this had been coming for a while.

a true legend who showed you don't need stupid gimmickry or idiotic 'mind games' to get along in the world of football management, contrary to what the majority of modern-day managers seem to believe.

S

stealthy1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Waking up this morning and realising that the game I was at last night* did actually happen and wasn't a bad dream, then finding out a few hours later the Sir Bobby had passed away made for a depressing Friday.

*Aberdeen 1 - 5 Sigma Olomouc (Europa league qualifier)

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I remember Bobby Robson managing a very good Ipswich Town side in the late 70's/early 80's - they finished 2nd to Liverpool one year and played great football. They also won an FA Cup, beating Arsenal in the final, and a UEFA Cup, I think.

He went from there to winning league titles in Holland, portugal and Spain before becoming England manager - and he got them to the quarters in 1986 (beaten by "the hand of God") and the semis in 1990 - beaten on pens by the bloody Germans - again! Each time they went out to the eventual World Cup winners in very close games.

A great manager and seemed a very nice man.

RIP Bobby Robson.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now it looks like Man City will finally get Lescott, if he puts in his transfer request as suggested will happen.

That makes their team something like this:

Given
Richards
Toure
Lescott
Bridge
Barry
ireland
Wright Phillips
ANO
Robinho
Adebayor

I have left a space in midfield for a holding player that they may have or may buy - it seems sensible to me for them to have that kind of player with all their attacking options.

That leaves the likes of Tevez, Santa Cruz, Bellamy, Dunne, etc. in reserve.

Thay appear to now have a squad capable of making the top 4 at least. If they can play as a team. We'll see.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i'm about 20 times more upset about sir bobby passing away than i was about MJ, even though this had been coming for a while.

So very true :(

Thay appear to now have a squad capable of making the top 4 at least. If they can play as a team. We'll see.

I propose that Pompey should take as many as they can on loan :top:

MrMuckets

MrMuckets

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now it looks like Man City will finally get Lescott, if he puts in his transfer request as suggested will happen.

Given
Richards
Toure
Lescott
Bridge
Barry
Ireland
Wright Phillips
ANO
Robinho
Adebayor

I have left a space in midfield for a holding player that they may have or may buy - it seems sensible to me for them to have that kind of player with all their attacking options.

Manchester City, the New York Yankees of Europe.:):):)

Az__Avfc

Az__Avfc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Given
Richards
Toure
Lescott
Bridge
Barry
Ireland
Wright Phillips
ANO
Robinho
Adebayor

I think Kompany will play the holding role, Barry isnt good enough defensively to be left there on his own, perhaps at home he could play there on his own. I don't think Tevez will be left out though, I doubt he'd be happy about that after apparently leaving United for first team football. They do look a very strong squad now plently of options in that midfield, for Villa's sake I hope they don't gel together as a team though.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given
Richards
Toure
Lescott
Bridge
Barry
Ireland
Wright Phillips
ANO
Robinho
Adebayor
I doubt Wright Phillips is gonna play much and Ireland(despite beeing great last season) will probably find him self on the bench alot to make way for "big names".
There probably going to be playing a 433 with Adebayor up on top with Robinho and Tevez on the wings and Barry,De Jong and Kompany in midfield imo...
But there squad is so big and there attacking options so massive its just a guessing game how they will line up.

I dont think City will do good this season, no doubt there building a great squad but i just dont belive that a team with like 4936 strikers on there pay roll can keep up a good dressing room moral if they hit s bumb in the road.
Hughes is gonna be first to get the sack this year!

Az__Avfc

Az__Avfc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Barry, Kompany and De Jong all in the same midfield could work out ok away from home but I can't see them all being used in the same midfield at home, it offers very little going foward. I would take Barry or De Jong out for Ireland as he offers far more drive going foward and has the engine to play box to box which Barry defiently hasn't.

ryodejaneiro

ryodejaneiro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well its been awhile since I played poker or posted but glad to see this thread still kickin! Also glad to see another Aston Villa fan! :)

Quite an interesting situation with Man City and where they will position all of their players. A lot of good players but the question I keep on asking my friends is who's gonna lead them? I don't see a particular player that stands out above the rest.

Just noticed that goal.com is reporting that Villa have agreed to a fee for Fabian Delph from Leeds Utd. Keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that they will finalize things and add their second signing of the summer!

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
we should start a cardschat sweepstakes on what date mark hughes gets sacked.