Ongoing Soccer Thread

Az__Avfc

Az__Avfc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
neone worring bout man utd nat coping wi out ronaldo/tevez? DONT, i predict players like anderson n berbatov will be differnt class next season, anderson shows signs of difernt class at times wi his pasing/keeping the ball n movement around d middle park, c with ronaldo gone u can sense utd being more of a team even at end o last season u cud see vry1 getting pissed aff wi em, tevez will be missed but he wasn a reg goalscorer was he, owen injury free guarentess u 15 a season playin in a team wi utds creativity, can see him getting a couple at anfield in front d kop, mite actaullt c wat kinda price ud get him 4 on dat

You believe what you are saying?

Anderson hasnt developed as the £18 mil tag suggested.

Owen doesnt guarentee anything, hes a gamble that if pays off Ferguson will be hailed a genius, if it doesnt nobody will care as it was a free transfer. I would like Owen to do well there but I cant see him being a 20 goal a season striker and he never has been. IMO Owen was bound to have a short peak due to the extent he was played when he was still young, he is paying for this with his injury problems now.

I'd say the biggest cause for concern for United will be there midfield that is now arguably weaker than both Chelsea and Liverpools midfields. Despite being previously great players Giggs and Scholes are both nearing the end of there careers as there performances are showing. Nani has so far proved an expensive flop. Hargreaves will be back (eventually) but he can't replaces the creativity provided by Scholes and Giggs nor Ronaldo. All this said they still have the strongest defence in the league and potentially the best attack albeit without Ronaldo.

p.s Villa finally look like making a signing... Downing...

Az__Avfc

Az__Avfc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And on the Man City bringing in Strikers, they wont all stay, they dont need to raise funds so for them its better to bring in then sell rather than sell and then try to bring players in which presents the risk of them not making the signings they want leaving them short up top.

Caciedo should be loaned out.
Jo will be loaned out.
Evans will be most likely sold.
Sturridge is going.
Bojinov should be sold.
Benjani has to go.

As the Adebayor signing looks likely they would have a strike force or Tevez, Roque Santa Cruz, Adebayor and Bellamy can sit on the bench as he said he'd be happy to do. I dont count Robinho as an out and out striker, just like Ronaldo isnt seen as a striker or a Midfielder.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hate to say it, Ian, but I am worried for Pompey this season - it was a struggle last year and now they have sold Johnson and ppear to be selling Crouchy.....hope I am wrong.

This buy out is taking waaaaay too long, we struggled because we didnt have a settled management, now we will struggle as we haven't got a team :mad:

Swear Engine

Swear Engine

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Owen doesnt guarentee anything, hes a gamble that if pays off Ferguson will be hailed a genius, if it doesnt nobody will care as it was a free transfer. I would like Owen to do well there but I cant see him being a 20 goal a season striker and he never has been.

Apart from 5 seasons out of 7 at Anfield (19 one season and 12 in one injury shortened one). Since then he's played less games so subsequently scored less goals, typically still 1 in 3 games though.

Put Owen in a good side and i'm certain he'll score loads. I doubt he'll get enough games to score 20 but i wouldn't be surprised if he makes something like 30 appearances and scores 15 goals. I also believe he'll get back into the England squad.

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, Owen did score 30+ goals in 70+ appearances for Newcastle, albeit stretched over 3 or so years. While the amount of games he played in the period of time he was there was pretty much unsatisfactory, his goals per game ratio was good. More so when you consider Newcastle were a struggling side throughout his time there.

His career is far from over if he can overcome his injury problems, and played in the right way with virtually guaranteed decent service, he will get his fair share of goals. I suppose one of three things can/might happen really.

1) He could thrive and re-establish himself as a great goal scorer.
2) He could pretty end up doing the same as he did at Newcastle and drift in and out of the team due to bad form/ongoing injury niggles.
3) He could be a complete flop.

If things go well for him injury wise, I see no reason why he can't achieve big things. He will always get you goals with the right service even when not 100% fit. Because it was a free transfer it won't be seen as a gamble and could well work out to be very good business. If it doesn't work out, oh well.

It does seem as though Ferguson has jeopardized his attacking options for the upcoming season but at the end of the day, none of us can say he doesn't know what he is doing. If Owen does breakdown, then hopefully it will happen during pre-season and leave Ferguson with time to do something about it. His purchase isn't a gamble, but it might turn out to be that way if things don't work out. Ferguson knows what he is doing though and I'm sure he has something in mind should the Owen transfer go tits up.

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If Owen is fit for 75% of all games this season I will be so pissed off lol

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If Owen is fit for 75% of all games this season I will be so pissed off lol

I hear you there Geoff. I get the feeling Ferguson will put his through his paces in pre-season friendlies to see what condition he is in and see if he can cope. Even though Ferguson said he is done buying, he would most definitely find a replacement should Owen not meet his expectations and/or get injured. It wouldn't leave him much time though. When Ferguson said he is done buying, he would of said it assuming that there would be no injuries/surprises prior to the end of the transfer window I would of thought.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hear you there Geoff. I get the feeling Ferguson will put his through his paces in pre-season friendlies to see what condition he is in and see if he can cope. Even though Ferguson said he is done buying, he would most definitely find a replacement should Owen not meet his expectations and/or get injured. It wouldn't leave him much time though. When Ferguson said he is done buying, he would of said it assuming that there would be no injuries/surprises prior to the end of the transfer window I would of thought.
He probably just said that to try to hide the fact he is going after Ribery/Silva/Villa cause as soon as any rumours would start United where after one of them City,Real and Chelsea would over bid them just cause they can :cool:

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He probably just said that to try to hide the fact he is going after Ribery/Silva/Villa cause as soon as any rumours would start United where after one of them City,Real and Chelsea would over bid them just cause they can :cool:

LOL exactly my thoughts too sindri. It certainly crossed my mind and it wouldn't surprise me if that were the case. Thinking about the Owen transfer more, basically all that Ferguson has done is replace Tevez with Owen. Not the worst bit of business when you think about it.

Az__Avfc

Az__Avfc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Apart from 5 seasons out of 7 at Anfield (19 one season and 12 in one injury shortened one). Since then he's played less games so subsequently scored less goals, typically still 1 in 3 games though.

Put Owen in a good side and i'm certain he'll score loads. I doubt he'll get enough games to score 20 but i wouldn't be surprised if he makes something like 30 appearances and scores 15 goals. I also believe he'll get back into the England squad.

Check league goals...

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just another thought about the Tevez/Owen thing at Utd. To buy Teves would have cost them £26.5M. The three purchases they did make instead has cost them £20.5M rising to £23.5M, three for the price of one in effect. That does still leave a gaping hole in midfield though imo with Ronaldo gone but Valencia can fill "some" of that gap.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Obertan is a quality player in the making and should fit well into the midfield for United - still young but sure to make some appearances

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Im willing to make a £20 bet here and now to anyone wanting to take me up on it that not one of those 3 players Ribery/Silva/Villa will ever play for Man Utd. The 2 spanish lads wont ever leave Spain and Ribery wants to play for Madrid and has said he will go there at some point, probably next summer.

Ashley Young is the rumour I have heard for Utd which would be annoying cos like Valencia I like him and would like to see him at Anfield.

Utd may have a good defence but their forward line has been severely weakened this summer and anyone who believes otherwise is deluded. Ronaldo scored goals for fun even when not playing that great and tevez whilst not overly prolific worked his socks off for the team and provided space and chances for teammates. Owen and berbatov will never do this they are both players who play for themselves not the team and I don't believe either will be big successes at Utd.

As for the their midfield, as someone else mentioned, Scholes and Giggs are heading into their final seasons for Utd (Neville and Van da Sar IMO too) Hargreaves is more injury prone than saha was and altho Anderson shows signs of promise (like Lucas for Liverpool) I havent seen enough from him to suggest he will ever be top class, his shooting is woeful! Nani has been another big money flop (Oh wait cant be Fergie never gets transfers wrong, cough Veron cough) and this will be his final season unless he completely turns it around. Only Carrick is a top class player in there, Valencia is a decent player but again isnt prolific so if Rooney isnt firing on all cylinders I am not sure who will score the goals for them.

And yes Ian I am concerned for your boys, at this rate they will struggle to field 15 1st team players in the 1st game of the season and yes the takeover seems to be having issues which leaves the team and hart in Limbo

Last edited:
S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im willing to make a £20 bet here and now to anyone wanting to take me up on it that not one of those 3 players Ribery/Silva/Villa will ever play for Man Utd. The 2 spanish lads wont ever leave Spain and Ribery wants to play for Madrid and has said he will go there at some point, probably next summer.
Im not saying on of them neceserly just that i think Fergy will make a last minute big buy and doesnt want Madrid or City to get wind of it and throw there weight around and out bid Utd.
And i agree if Silva and Villa go any where its probably Madrid/Barcelona, but the fact that Valencia´s money trouble seem to be ok for now mean they might not go anywhere.

Ashley Young is the rumour I have heard for Utd which would be annoying cos like Valencia I like him and would like to see him at Anfield.
Agreed, Young would be a ideal signing at Anfield and the fact that Villa just bought Downing might mean he is on his way out.
If not Young some one like Juan Mata at Valencia seems good, similar type of player as Silva just cheaper and younger and probably easier to sign.

I really just want Liverpool to sign a left winger that can score and bring in some competition to the left wing postion.
If we do that and DONT sell Alonso or Mach i think we will have the strongest squad for next season :).

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem is, as good as Valencia and Obertan are, they are simply not Ronaldo. Filling 'some gaps' is not good enough at this level

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And i agree if Silva and Villa go any where its probably Madrid/Barcelona, but the fact that Valencia´s money trouble seem to be ok for now mean they might not go anywhere.

Agreed, Young would be a ideal signing at Anfield and the fact that Villa just bought Downing might mean he is on his way out.
If not Young some one like Juan Mata at Valencia seems good, similar type of player as Silva just cheaper and younger and probably easier to sign.

I really just want Liverpool to sign a left winger that can score and bring in some competition to the left wing postion.
If we do that and DONT sell Alonso or Mach i think we will have the strongest squad for next season :).

Now the scary thing is I agree with all that Sindri :)

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem is, as good as Valencia and Obertan are, they are simply not Ronaldo. Filling 'some gaps' is not good enough at this level

Yeah I agree that they are no Ronaldo's, that's why I said it was a gaping hole. Saying that, what Valencia can bring to the team does open up other avenues. His tracking back abilities will most likely free up other players to express themselves more in a way that they couldn't often do when they were teamed with Ronaldo. Ronaldo's lack of tracking back always meant that others had to slot into certain positions when needed, which was often.

There is no way that Valencia and/or Obertan can replace the amount of goals that Ronaldo scored ( who could really ) that much is true. But I do see the possibility of other midfielders getting further up the field on a more regular basis than they did while playing alongside Ronaldo, quick breaking counter attacks aside.

I think that with Valencia's ability going forward, and tracking back, that will allow the team as a whole to play there football that little bit further up the pitch on a more regular basis. That's where a player like Michael Owen comes in. With his age and injury history he is obviously not as pacey as he once was, but I don't think that will be too much of a problem if the team as a whole are pinning back the opposition on a more regular basis. It's hard to say at the moment though as we don't know Ferguson's intentions yet.

Ferguson sees Obertan as one for the future apparently and tbh, I know very little about him. I do know that he struggled at his last club though but I don't know what went on there.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All I know is that I would never be foolish enough to count out a team managed by Ferguson, especially before the season has even started. Man City may make it interesting (outside chance), but otherwise it will be the usual suspects at the top.

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Very best wishes to John Hartson who is in a stable but critical condition fighting brain and testicular cancer. Apparently John only very recently discovered his illness after complaining about severe headaches. Things have moved on for the worst at an alarming rate. John is a fighter by nature but I don't know if this is a battle he can win, I surely hope he can. Best wishes to him and his loved ones.

MrMuckets

MrMuckets

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very best wishes to John Hartson who is in a stable but critical condition fighting brain and testicular cancer. Apparently John only very recently discovered his illness after complaining about severe headaches. Things have moved on for the worst at an alarming rate. John is a fighter by nature but I don't know if this is a battle he can win, I surely hope he can. Best wishes to him and his loved ones.

This, Yes. My thoughts to you John. Good luck and be strong:(:(
Feed the world.

Last edited:
ludo90

ludo90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Zlatan to barcelona!! I really want to see what zlatan can do whit the best midfielders in the world giving him chances to score!
I just wish Etoo dont spoil it all since he doesnt want to leave barca but they want him to leave..

and yes im swedish ofcourse! Zlatan to president ! :)

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im surprised you even read that shiterag Sindri being a red.

And yes it looks like Pompey have finally sorted their ownership out, but the delay seems to have hurt them as the mighty Notts Co have taken Eriksson as Director of football lol
I dont. I saw a link to the story from another forum ;).