Ongoing Soccer Thread

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The man's a joke. I'm a bit disappointed at the timing of him leaving seen as it'll probably mean he'll be popping up all over the BBC's Euro coverage.

woody19

woody19

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all i can say is come on england :) theo walcott is the man yeah baaaaby :) wiked game

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best ive seen England play for a while - closing the play down and not giving away the ball half as often as usual :top:

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By the way why is this called a soccer thread and not football?????

Because it also has to cover people in the US, where "Football" is American Football (NFL & College).

Everone knows that "Soccer" is "our" football...real football :p so saves on confusion - people entering the thread to talk about American Football and finding it is something else.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hodgson better play Walcott from the start against Ukraine! Rooney is available, so I guess at least one of the two goal-scoring strikers will be on the bench....will he play the former ManU partnership, or Carroll and Rooney?

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
after seeing him on itv tonight i wondered - does Roy Keane ever smile? i mean has he ever cracked a grim, had a smirk or even gently turned the corners of his mouth upwards?

Martin

Martin

Scokyl's Scoundrels
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
after seeing him on itv tonight i wondered - does Roy Keane ever smile? i mean has he ever cracked a grim, had a smirk or even gently turned the corners of his mouth upwards?

I'm sure he was smiling on an old gif when he was mackem manager and as we used to sing he was making his dog happy. Think thats the only time I saw a hint of a smile

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So we avoided Spain and got Italy. It's like being given a choice on how you want to die.

And Christ knows what that official on the line is doing on the Ukrainian goal

SilentJay

SilentJay

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I reckon it's just an employment program from FIFA/UEFA or something. Why the hell else would you have SIX referees in the game these days, rather than just opting for a 30 second video review on goal line calls?

Then again, video technology has failed miserably in cricket, ice hockey and tennis. So why bother trying it in football? :rolleyes:

Leo 50

Leo 50

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually in Ice Hockey Video review has helped, the problem in football
(soccer) is there is no stoppage so play usually continues.
As today’s Eng-Ukr game shows there will be errors by the officials
but truthfully that player was off-sides and the play should have been called dead before the shot.

(just my 2¢ from an American who loves, ‘real’ football)

:cool:

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually in Ice Hockey Video review has helped

Yeah I think Jay was being sarcastic, clearly in all these sports (don't have first hand knowledge of ice hockey but I'm assuming) video tech has had a positive impact and has led to the 'correct' decision being made in a lot of cases when initially the wrong call was made.

the problem in football
(soccer) is there is no stoppage so play usually continues.
As today’s Eng-Ukr game shows there will be errors by the officials
but truthfully that player was off-sides and the play should have been called dead before the shot.

(just my 2¢ from an American who loves, ‘real’ football)

:cool:

I mean the thing is, a small stoppage just isn't going to make a significant difference. A wait of a minute or so on these huge moments that decide not only games but even whole leagues/tournaments just isn't a big deal. And the fact the guy was offside only serves as an argument for more technology

woody19

woody19

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So we avoided Spain and got Italy. It's like being given a choice on how you want to die.

in my opinion rooney ruined the game, hodson shud of kept the same team and format from the last game. shocking game really, played horrible, but yaaaaaaaaay were through yeah baby, that goal was well over bout time we had the luck, usally its us who get the ball well over the line and it gets dis-aloud haha ie the goal against germany in world cup hehe

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want Ronny Dildo to be scoring leader. If he gets the most shots on goal, I'm good.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
in my opinion rooney ruined the game, hodson shud of kept the same team and format from the last game. shocking game really, played horrible, but yaaaaaaaaay were through yeah baby, that goal was well over bout time we had the luck, usally its us who get the ball well over the line and it gets dis-aloud haha ie the goal against germany in world cup hehe

agreed and agreed

Disgracefull crap again from UEFA £80,000 fine for Bendtner and his pants - only £65,000 fine for moronic racist bigots from Croatia, sure shows UEFAs priorities i think :mad:

Last edited:
O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well after the '66 final we're 2-1 up on dodgy goal line decisions ;)

blott

blott

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
would hate to see any techy stuff in football. half the fun is to hear everyone moaning and groaning at the poor ref.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
would hate to see any techy stuff in football. half the fun is to hear everyone moaning and groaning at the poor ref.

i dont think that will ever stop lol :D

rotty

rotty

I triple dog dare ya
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

Disgracefull crap again from UEFA £80,000 fine for Bendtner and his pants - only £65,000 fine for moronic racist bigots from Croatia, sure shows UEFAs priorities i think :mad:

I agree with blott and the bearded one :argh:

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The most disgusting part of todays game, was the way Merkel turned a sporting event, into some odd "we are superior", political statement. Sport has no place in politics, and politics has no place in sport. Stupid cow rolls a loser.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pirlo is the world's best passer whose name isn't Xavi or Iniesta. The man has been supreme so far tonight, wonderful.

SilentJay

SilentJay

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Penalties... here we go.

While my heart is for England, they really, really wouldn't deserve it tonight, would they?