Ongoing Soccer Thread

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ian, you have just been crossed off my christmas card list :D you never know what is going to happen in football but I would think it would be highly unlikely he would go over to the dark side, it is just not done, he would never be able to walk anywhere safely, there would always be some idiot wanting to have a go at him. Nah I think Andrea Villas Boas will suit them nicely, I am sure he would rub Gerrard and Carragher up the wrong way and cause another winter of discontent soon enough :D:D:D:D:D
To be honest the European Championships mean nothing to me, I am not a great England fan, I cant bring myself to cheer on a team that has Gerrard, Carragher, Downing, The Shrek, Cashley Cole and John "the thug" Terry in it, no way .

Just joking :D - what he has done and continues to do at Everton shows just how poor some managers with millions can be.

I never bother to watch England either (see post #2600) too much biased hype - but i see a lot of Euro footy and so at least ill know several of the different players trotting around :)

It's football not soccer!
:top:

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never felt the same connection to England as I have Newcastle, and 2010 (in particular that game against Algeria...) was the final straw for me. Bunch of players who just didn't care at all and if they don't care then neither do I. Want us to do well obviously, but I really don't feel I'll be putting in the emotional investment I have in the past

Although you can be sure this will start to change the closer we get to that first game :D

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with you MTT Bayern played better than Chelski, Barca played better than Chelski in the semi and Napoli played better in the quarter final so you have to admire the job Di Matteo has done to get them playing as a team, they were outplayed by all three teams but came through and they deserve all the credit for that.
Just seen on the sports news that Di Matteo is going to snub a one year deal at Chelski and go elsewhere. If winning the FA Cup and the Champions League for the first time in their history doesnt warrant a proper contract I dont know what does, then again Abramovich pays the bills and I guess he can do what he wants.

seanDCFC

seanDCFC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bayern played better but if you can't score more than 1 goal with the chances they had then they only have themselves to blame. The same goes for Barcelona. Both of these side were beaten by Chelsea's clinical finishing. Deserved champions imo. Drogba winning pen could be his last kick for Chelsea, if so what a way for the big man to leave.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tumblr_m4fyp7SX8o1r3gb3zo1_400.gif

The best thing about this is you can see him start to get back up AGAIN after the second hit. Great heart.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This Copa Del Rey final is being played at an obscene intensity. First 35mins was an absolute schooling from Barca

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That England game was absolutely bloody dire

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Now ive never really liked Teddy Sheringham, but i like Gordon Ramsay even less so thumbs up to Teddy for this >>>

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Brendon Rodgers for Liverpool it seems then - interesting, especially as all the usual talking mouths reckoned that Martinez didnt have the experience to take the job on.

rotty

rotty

I triple dog dare ya
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Now ive never really liked Teddy Sheringham, but i like Gordon Ramsay even less so thumbs up to Teddy for this >>>

Ian, why don't you like Gordon Ramsey? His cooking shows are ok with me. :(

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ian, why don't you like Gordon Ramsey? His cooking shows are ok with me. :(

He's a fake swearer - got famous for say f#@k a lot, but now tries to use it too often when there's no need.

Just can't take to him really - and as the crowd cheers i guess im not alone :D

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sheva!! :D

All the UK coverage of this tournament is a disgrace. Both ITV's and BBC's line up of commentator/pundits is shambolic

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well no, I suppose not. It's particularly annoying on the BBC seen as we're actually directly paying for the garbage. For the first time tonight though I decided I'd had enough and switched commentary off. It was excellent, got a good idea of the atmosphere in the stadium without having to hear the absolute morons that are Jonathan Pearce and Martin Keown.

What winds me up is there are so many people who write and talk about the game intelligently, interestingly and with genuine insight, yet the channels employ these people purely because they're ex pros. Was talking about this on 2p2 earlier and said something along the lines of 'Just because someone was good at following a coach's orders doesn't mean they understood WHY they were being told to do x, y, z and are able to apply that to punditry', and it's so true.

It's as if BBC and ITV think the majority of people who watch football are just complete idiots who want to hear ex pros because of who they are.

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Amazingly I thought England played like they actually knew each other today, still too many Dark Side mediocre players for my liking but they did ok.
By the way why is this called a soccer thread and not football?????

ps I agree, isnt Jonathan Pearce the most annoying commentator ever, I always think that with the best commentators you dont notice they are there, they are part of it but you cant fail to notice him, he is so grating grrrrrrr, I cant stand Andy Townsend either, talks a complete load of sh.te in an annoying voice, but as you say they are all bad.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i rarely if ever have the commentary turned up, and when possible i always go for the crowds noise/atmosphere

Commentators just have to tell you useless + pointless stats, imagine if you had someone like that next to you at the ground - they wouldn't make it to halftime would they? :boxing:

*best commentator imo is Rob Palmer who often does the Spanish on Sky

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Redknapp is no longer Spuds manager :rofl:

did he jump or was he pushed - oh thats right he claims the rumours of him quitting were scandalous :rofl: then he was gone.

*nicked from a Pompey fan page - Harrys' payoff is expected to be around £3,000,000 and after taxes it will be £3,000,000 :rofl: