Ongoing Soccer Thread

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What a sick,sick,sick end to the premier league season.

I would take my hat of to man city if most was home grown..but it's just rich owners who have bought in a team..nothing good about that. Same crpa as chealsea a few seasons back and now they are useless again..

Anyways, what an end!

2minutes remaining man city losing 2-1 man UTD had won 1-0 vs Sunderland so the title was in UTD hands...

and some how a massive 7minutes extra time for city?(righhht) lol....they win 3-2..so seal the premier league..

It's a shame UTD didn't win it, they deserved it imo. Fans celebrating the league win which, well...I woulden't mind in general but the team is like 90% over seas players.not really a good result for English football.

Everyone buys talent. When United met City their starting line-up cost £20,000,000 less then, hardly poor V rich is it? So I presume you wouldn't take your hat off to any of the top 6 winning it, since most aren't homegrown players?

Also it was 5 minutes, which was about right given the Barton incident as well as several subs and 2 goals.

33% of the team is English. When they played United earlier in the season they had more English players than United so again I'm not really sure where your comments are coming from. You say it like City winning is a bad result for English football yet United winning would have been a good result? I just think a lot of your comments are lacking substance here.

Anyway, what an awesome win.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're right, teams BUY talent, but the huge difference is, they don't buy the league..nothing to be admired about their prem win here at all. I don't like how city have transformed..I mean I didn't like it when Chelsea did it a few seasons back with Roman. It just spoils the league, when you look at UTD sure they have over seas players playing and buy the odd brilliant player but Alex has a way of bringing in youth and they become stars of today, like Ronaldo, as one example.

If man united had won, at least you can say the team grew together like they have done for years, it's never been a surge of money pumped in over 2 seasons..what UTD have achived is through sheer brilliance of all management and team work and are actually the only "rich" consist team because they don't go stupid and spend 50000billion in a year. Man city winning, it's like, so what? Who cares? Surely no man city fan is proud ? If so, of what exactly? I wouldn't be proud of my team if we was given unlimited funds to buy the league and throw out all our English players to the bench or over paying them to sit on their ass or playing in reserve teams when they should/could be fighting through to the 1st team and doing ENGLISH football good. Each and every player have cost like million + and they still struggled to win the league..Who have UTD actually spent money on recently in comparison to city and over the past couple of seasons? Next to nothing, yet manage to brind it right to the wire.

I don't even support UTD, I'm a blackpool fan, my point is and has always been, teams like chelsea and now man city and people saying "wow, amazing what they have done"

Where are Chelsea now in the league? They haven't challenged at all this season, yet had a a huge injection of cash like city. City will die of like chelsea have done.

All I'm saying is that it's hardly amazing in my eyes, people praising the manager etc lol. There is/was no real "grind" from the bottom up, it's just been ok here you go, buy whoever. I mean, I could have a winning league team if I had 500million+ to spend and I'm sure if blackpool was given unlimited funds to spend on players they would be the next city but actually better.

Last edited:
B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't like how city have transformed..I mean I didn't like it when Chelsea did it a few seasons back with Roman. It just spoils the league, when you look at UTD sure they have over seas players playing and buy the odd brilliant player but Alex has a way of bringing in youth and they become stars of today, like Ronaldo, as one example.

If man united had won, at least you can say the team grew together like they have done for years, it's never been a surge of money pumped in over 2 seasons..what UTD have achived is through sheer brilliance of all management and team work. Man city winning, it's like, so what. Each and every player have cost like million + and they still struggled to win the league..Who have UTD actually spent money on recently in comparison to city and over the past couple of seasons? Next to nothing, yet manage to brind it right to the wire.

I don't even support UTD, I'm a blackpool fan, my point is and has always been, teams like chelsea and now man city and people saying "wow, amazing what they have done"

Where are Chelsea now in the league? They haven't challenged at all this season, yet had a a huge injection of cash like city. City will die of like chelsea have done.

All I'm saying is that it's hardly amazing in my eyes, people praising the manager etc lol. There is/was no real "grind" from the bottom up, it's just been ok here you go, buy whoever. I mean, I could have a winning league team if I had 500million+ to spend and I'm sure if blackpool was given unlimited funds to spend on players they would be the next city but actually better.

I'd say it's done the exact opposite of spoil the leg. It has spiced it up completely and broken the Sky 4 down and made it a much better league to watch. You make it sound like Ronaldo was fairly unknown, he wasn't! He was regarded as a rising star by many scouts hence £17,000,000 (IIRC) for a 17 year old. Lots of clubs would love to have bought him but since United had money and a big name he went there. It's like Claiming Mancini has pulled a lot of youth through because he bought Balotelli (again another highly regarded player) when he was 19.

Also of course the City team had to initially buy lots of player to challenge. United have been able to gain a monopoly at the top due to an injection of funds at the right time, City are just catching up to them from that point.

As the paragraph above points out City have had to build a quality team up from scratch so comparing recent spend is fruitless. Also since players United bought a while ago won't have inflation taken into account on their actual price. United have broken the transfer record more times than City though so again showing they do spend. The fact that City and United have a similar priced starting 11 is evidence of that.

The fact is without injection of funds form outside the top clubs would never be challenged and a La Liga type league would occur where nobody could get near the top clubs since they are able to generate the income from having a wide fanbase and other clubs couldn't gain this fanbase nothing would ever change.

Also you are aware that United bought the most expensive goalkeeper ever this very summer? They always have spent big and just because they have had time to establish their squad that would make their achievement much better than Cities?

If in 10 years City win a title after buying lots of youth (since they'll have the pulling power and revenue) will they deserve it then? Or will they still not deserve it due to the recent cash injection (which United had, just not as recently)

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
People seem to forget just how much United have spent. Adjust the fees of the likes of Rio, Rooney, Ruud, Veron and Hargreaves for today's market and we are talking about significantly bigger numbers, and that's just taking a few players into account

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Each has their own opinions I guess.

However, I've never had anything agaisnt man.c until the new owners took over. Maybe I'm more of a "!home!" grown who likes to see talent earned, as opposed to just bought. I know UTD have spent, but it's different in my eyes, they have never gone on a huge spending spree like Chelsea + man city have, regardless of how much players are worth now.

onmorechance: Yes, the odd player here and there...not a team worth like chelsea did and man city recently did too. and you're putting out prices on players who was bought over the course of 15years nearly lol and you can only name a few and bear in mind, these have been since like 1997 treble..only rooney is "new" in that list and even that transfer is 8 years old lol.....man city/cheslea would do this and MORE in one season and just recruit already established players, defeats the whole object of having a team and youth team. Rio wasn't exactly established, nor was rooney..only veron and rudd..

If you look at rooney + ronaldo for example, these were bought in their youth at respectable prices..they have evolved under managment of utd and ronaldo was sold for 10x the amount UTD paid. He spent a massive, 10milllion I think it was on ronaldo, noone even knew who he was or anything, Alex saw talent, like with rooney and within a few seasons, transformed into the worlds best. That's the difference and what I like about UTD, not each and every player is established already. Work HAD to be done on all of UTD's top players of today, Hernández is another perfect example, he was unknown and bought... transformed in to one of the best in the game today.

There are like none I can think of for Chelsea or Man city that have achieved this.

Last edited:
B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

However, I've never had anything agaisnt man.c until the new owners took over. Maybe I'm more of a "!home!" grown who likes to see talent earned, as opposed to just bought. I know UTD have spent, but it's different in my eyes, they have never gone on a huge spending spree like Chelsea + man city have, regardless of how much players are worth now.

onmorechance: Yes, the odd player here and there...not a team worth like chelsea did and man city recently did too.

If you look at rooney + ronaldo for example, these were bought in their youth at respectable prices..they have evolved under managment of utd and ronaldo was sold for 10x the amount UTD paid. He spent a massive, 10milllion I think it was on ronaldo, noone even knew who he was or anything, Alex saw talent, like with rooney and within a few seasons, transformed into the worlds best. That's the difference and what I like about UTD, not each and every player is established already. Work HAD to be done on all of UTD's top players of today, Hernández is another perfect example, he was unknown and bought... transformed in to one of the best in the game today.

There are like none I can think of for Chelsea or Man city that have achieved this.

Uniteds only home grown player is Scholes, City have Richards. So in that regard they are equal and United have earnt it no more than City.

Rooney cost £16000000 so much because it's hardly like he was a unknown player, he was regarded as having huge potential and if more clubs could compete with United they would have bid for him as well. They were the most expensive youngsters ever bought so I have no idea how you are defining a respectable price. A lot of people knew who Ronaldo was, he wasn't even close to unknown.

You can't think of any? What about Joe hart?

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

onmorechance: Yes, the odd player here and there...not a team worth like chelsea did and man city recently did too. and you're putting out prices on players who was bought over the course of 15years nearly lol and you can only name a few and bear in mind, these have been since like 1997 treble..only rooney is "new" in that list and even that transfer is 8 years old lol.....man city/cheslea would do this and MORE in one season and just recruit already established players, defeats the whole object of having a team and youth team. Rio wasn't exactly established, nor was rooney..only veron and rudd..

Yeah the odd player...

scaled.php

And the fact that some of those transfers are old is entirely my point, adjust them for recent market inflation and for some of those players we are talking astronomical sums

I'm not for a minute taking away from Ferguson's ability to identify talent and develop it, but they're a long way from the days of having a first team brought through the academy. All I'm saying is United have thrown their fair share of money about in recent years and to take away from City's success because they've spent money is being churlish. It takes a hell of a lot more than having a talented squad to win a title

And rofl at Hernandez being a complete unknown, he'd already been a senior international for over a year

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol?

Doesn't that just prove the point I was making? Looking at that list really does. They bought their last expensive player 2011...and before that 2008..

So, two "real" signings in the past 4 years..hardly any comparison to city & chelsea at all.

So we take in to consideration 10 big signings...over a 10 year period. Again, this compares to nothings in comparison to chelsea & man city past couple of years. I don't even know who/how many they have signed but that list you're showing just proves my point entiley that city & chelsea have gone nuts, where UTD haven't.

You are talking about market inflation of a few players..it still doesn't compare to what city have spent at all..

Hernandez yeah, a senior for mexico..he isn't an established footballer like for example, shevenchoko was for chelsea..he's worht a LOT more now than he was before utd which again proves my point.,

Anyway, we can agree to disagree.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've already pointed out that you can't compare since City had to build up to getting into the top 4 whereas United were already an established elite club so comparing recent transfers is pointless.

If it Cities spending doesn't compare to Uniteds why do the two teams fielded cost a very similar amount. I'd say that makes the spending pretty comparable.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've already pointed out that you can't compare since City had to build up to getting into the top 4 whereas United were already an established elite club so comparing recent transfers is pointless.

If it Cities spending doesn't compare to Uniteds why do the two teams fielded cost a very similar amount. I'd say that makes the spending pretty comparable.

City didn't exactly "build" up though like I say..I respected them like when they got from the old division 2 and came through, that was more of an accomplishment than this title imo. They literally bought their way in to title challengers, that's what I've been saying. That's why I think it's a shame UTD didn't win the league because they are established, they didn't have bucket loads of money 20years+ ago, they have a lot of youth (bought a lot of over seas youth players) and home grown and have been consistent year after year and have always been title league challengers and winners. I just find it frustrating that city literally have bought their way to the league title. They didn't just go out and buy literally eleven top class players, most of UTD players have grown at utd season after season.

Had city been bought say, 6 years and gradually had money put in to the team and gradually improved each season and won, I'd of been happy for them.

UTD have bought a couple of decent players I don't dispute that, but literally all of city's team was thrown out when the new owners took over including good home grown talent and just bought in already well established players who are capable of playing top flight football but I just find it furstrating hearing city fans and none fans saying they deserved it the manager is top class etcetc. Not disputing he isn't good, but who wouldn't be good with all that money?

The only reason utd might have a team with the same value is because of the players who have improved season after season and their price tags respectively have increased too.

Maybe we just disagree on this ;) I hate money being thrown about like this, like it was with Chelsea..annoyed the hell out of me.

SilentJay

SilentJay

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suppose you'd boykott Blackpool, if some rich dude started throwing money at them? ;)

Whether we like it or not, that's just the way it goes these days. Sucks for those who DON'T have a rich new owner. But that "bought" success will probably never last. It didn't for Chelsea, and it won't for City.

At least this way we get a new side winning the title for a change. And next season ManU fans will be all the happier for winning it back.

rotty

rotty

I triple dog dare ya
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Was a fun morning switching between the 4 different matches being shown at the same time. (not really, lol) Congrats ManC.
Joey Barton, lol :p

amazing, just unbelievably amazing end to a season.......when does it start again? lol :D

I hope it starts again next week. :D

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Berbatov £30m - a stupid amount then and a really stupid amount now
Veron £28m - That went well didn't it :D
Anderson £20m - :rofl: really? wow :rofl:
Carrick £16m - oh come on now this is getting silly :D
Hargreaves £17m - he spent 2 years trying to get him as well :eek:

£111 million - does Fergie get tips from Redknapp or something :rofl:

*lets not forget -
Bebe (£7.5 m)
Obertan (£3m)
Zoran Tosic (?)(£5m)

Last edited:
B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
im confused. whats going on in this gif?

Man U fan just got the news that Man C scored the winner and title clincher with the last kick of the game. :(:(:( Notice the disgust on his face at the end and the end of the rest of the United fans happiness.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Samir Nasri, hypocrite? surely not

As81XkjCEAEWKqQ.jpg

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
ahhh Nasri stfu

He has a point. He got so much shit when he moved from Arsenal to City and Arsenal fans seemed offended that he would have more of a chance of winning silverware at City than at Arsenal.

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nasri is a *****. I'm starting to hate coming into this thread cos of the gif at the top. Brings back the heartache of Sunday every time.

Let's get on to a new page!!!

seanDCFC

seanDCFC

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kenny daglish sacked. Liverpool fans will be devastated lol

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kenny daglish sacked. Liverpool fans will be devastated lol

Not surprising. The board is a joke though. They do this all the time, I mean sacking Roy said it all really.

This is the very reason Liverpool are always so inconsistent.

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Dogleash getting sacked has improved my mood after the awfulness of that England squad