Golf

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Expect Furyk to go top ten, who do you guys see in the leaderboard?

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrats to Justin Rose for winning Gold Metal for Great Brittian in Olymics ima not a gooder speller but its been like 104 years since they played golf

They dethroned the reigning Men's Olympic Gold Medal Champions from canada. :)

Justin Rose is an excellent player and congratulations to him for winning the gold medal.

I watched a little bit of the golf, but just couldn't really get into it. I'm more enthused about watching events that I don't watch normally, like diving, track & field events, swimming, and volleyball.

Volleyball was nice for me last night, I won a parlay bet on intertops ($25 bet won $34 - and I was bankrolled from a freeroll - I steadfastly refuse to make a deposit for sportsbetting and never will).

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not bad, Ivey. Also, my Clemson boys Lucas Glover & Kyle Stanley are competing well. Field is rocking the course - looks like par golf will send you home quick at this one.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Barclays thoughts: really get the feeling Dustin Johnson & Phil Mickelson are top ten this week. Probably get good odds on Ben Martin as a longer shot.

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like DJ as well. Add Matsuyama and Haas to my list of contenders.
I think Spencer Levin is one to watch. He is a new father and generally that translates well to the golf course.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Props to Patrick Reed on the Barclays win. Dustin Johnson is in the Ryder Cup, hate that R. Fowler just missed out.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me Reed's win wasn't unexpected. I've been waiting for him to step up, he has a fine swing hits beautiful controlled punch shots and seems decent with the putter. Looks like he will again be a thorn in the side of the Europeans at the RC.
Have the US selected their wild cards yet. If not Fowler must have a decent shot at one.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This years European team and a photo of two years ago.
Form is temporary, class is permanent.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/37217926
No McDowell or Poulter, the Scots and Welsh lads have done so little I can't even remember their names. Dubisson hasn't done anything either. I'll be particularly interested to see how Willett and Fitzpatrick get on.
Westwood was lucky to be picked imo, but they need a few old heads out there.
US actually look stronger to me, I'd expect them to win handsomely at home this time and would put money on it. Johnson, Reed, Walker and maybe Spieth are all in a much better place than two years ago.
I'm also looking forward to seeing a bit more of Koepka who doesn't get any press in the UK but I know he's a strong player.

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'll take Mcilroy, Scott and Fowler this week. Think Horschel and Woodland are great value picks

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll take Henrik Stenson to come back strong this week or possibly win.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Stenson hanging around despite the injury. Another star-studded field making par look like a joke.

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stenson hanging around despite the injury. Another star-studded field making par look like a joke.

TPC Boston has always been a bit of a birdie fest. I remember when my boy Mike Weir shot 61 a while ago at the Deutsche Bank

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Took Paul Casey vs K Chappell final round, 15 minutes to spare - rock on.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
a Mickelson fan

Phil Mickelson is the best
Yeah, I agree. He might be in the twilight of his career, but he's still relevant. I just hope he doesn't retire early. Probably not though, he seems to have a deep love for the game.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If McIroy finds his putting he will be back at no 1 in the world in no time.
Small dent for US Ryder hopes.

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We moved to a golf community in July - I have my first lesson on Friday afternoon! :)

I have never played before - very excited.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We moved to a golf community in July - I have my first lesson on Friday afternoon! :)

Woot Debs welcome to our world I hope you enjoy learning a game that is every bit as difficult to master as poker.
Lessons from the get go are very important so you are holding the club correctly and standing and swinging in the best way. If you set up correct you are set up to hit good shots.
You can study decent swings on the internet and the pro females often have technically much better swings than a lot of the men as women can't muscle it as much and rely on good mechanics a lot more. You don't have to be big and strong to move the golf ball decent distances it's all in the technique.
Walking a golf course is also a great antidote to the hours sat on our butts playing poker. I know you love your buggies in the US but in the UK probably 90% of us walk the course it's so much better for you.

Last edited:
I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Very cool Debbie. It's definitely a hard game to pick up for most so don't be too discouraged right off the bat. I had the luck of having a dad willing to put me through golf camps every year from the age of 8 until 14, where I played against some very good competition. (In fact, some of my buddies that I met there are now playing for division 1 Universities in the US).

Anyways, my point is it can be frustrating at times and you should try to stick with it as the fun far outweighs anything else for me.

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'll take Mcilroy, Scott and Fowler this week. Think Horschel and Woodland are great value picks

McIlroy won it and Scott finished 4th. Won my yahoo pool again this week.

I'll take Rory, Scott and DJ this week. I think Oosty is a very good value pick and Casey is under the radar

C

Cdub512

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tiger is targeting coming back in the Fall at the Safeway Open in 1 month! Hopefully he can work his way back to where he can be in contention almost every week. Him coming back will get bigger crowds, and more viewers on TV.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tiger's return

Tiger is targeting coming back in the Fall at the Safeway Open in 1 month! Hopefully he can work his way back to where he can be in contention almost every week. Him coming back will get bigger crowds, and more viewers on TV.
Yeah, I completely agree. Golf is thriving now, but the return of Tiger could be a real boom to the game.

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
McIlroy won it and Scott finished 4th. Won my yahoo pool again this week.

I'll take Rory, Scott and DJ this week. I think Oosty is a very good value pick and Casey is under the radar

Having another good week. DJ, Casey and Scott are all in contention.

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, I completely agree. Golf is thriving now, but the return of Tiger could be a real boom to the game.

I'm not expecting much, but I wouldn't be surprised if he does well.

He's playing the Hero World Challenge as well which I feel is such a dumb tournament. 18 people only and it's considered an official tourney by the OWGR, so everybody gets free world ranking points even if you shoot 80 over par, you finish 18th and get as many points as finishing 18th in fields like the Byron Nelson, the Travelers or the Canadian Open