Golf

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If Hurley, Els, or Rahm win today, that would be cool. I also hope Wesley Bryan can get into the top 4 so he can qualify for The Open!

Seems like a genuine good guy. Took Bryan on my fantasy team this week

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shot 75 yesterday. Low round of the year and all bogeys were unavoidable(forced chip out, penalty, cart path bounce) Missed 3 birdie putts inside 10 ft as well.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
CardsChat golf champ

Nice round, sir.
golf-trophy-awards-32q8hr.png

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Alright, THE OPEN is here. Give us some picks.
I feel like Phil is gonna be totally invested. JB Holmes, Lee Westwood, Martin Kaymer fair picks too. Good luck all!

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sold on Holmes. Slightly too inconsistent for me. Goes from missed cuts to top 10s.

I do like Westwood and Kaymer as well though. I think Day could be lethal on a course like this with his driving iron off the tee.

I'm going to take Garcia as well. His iron play should put him in good stead at Royal Troon

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Golf is such a form game it is difficult to see past the guys who did well at the US Open. I'm with DJ, Day and Lowry. The latter especially loves his links golf.
Yep Garcia probably good for another top 10 near miss as usual.
It's been wet and windy in the UK recently with plenty of weather fronts shooting across the Atlantic on the jet stream so the tee times may be important. Don't put your money on until the day before when the forecast is firmed up.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Open

I won't be watching anything but the highlights as I refuse to pay $100 a month for Sky sports.
I'm so annoyed the golf governing body has sold the TV rights to Sky. Obviously in the UK The Open is the Crown Jewel of the sport and now SKY has all of golf wrapped up.
In the UK there are 12 million Sky subscribers but not all of those will have Sports as part of their package. On the BBC the whole nation of 70 million could watch the golf for nothing,.
So the viewing figures will drop substantially at a time when participation rates are falling sharply.
The R&A will argue that the Sky money will help grass roots investment in the sport, yes it will but they totally miss the point that it is kids watching inspiration live sport on TV that makes them want to take up a sport, not the odd paid for lesson via their school.
Golf has been sold the same pup as cricket probably by the same analysts paid in the back pocket by Sky.
Participation rates are falling because kids are too wrapped up in their computers to go out and spend hours playing golf/cricket/football/rugby. Those sports are all suffering falling participation. If they want to lure kids away from their computers they need to make golf faster, cheaper and more accessible.
Established courses need to tag on a loops of short 9/6/3 holes whatever, suitable for kids to get round in under an hour or so.
Courses have to move with the times or they will cease business.
10 years in the UK most of the decent established golf clubs had 5 year waiting lists. Now if you are under 35 and play off a single figure handicap you can walk in just about anywhere.

OK rant over

The weather forecast for Thursday is fine. But the forecast for Friday is TERRBAD.
I'd still recommend holding your bets until late tomorrow so we can see exactly what times the storm is going to cross the course.
There will be a significant advantage for players who will miss the worst of it on Friday.
Remember even Tiger in his prime got blown away in the worst of it a few years back.

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not a problem in canada. Being broadcast on TSN which even basic cable viewers have.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting radio program where they are stating the Troon course favours a fade. (Calcaveccia won here).

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting radio program where they are stating the Troon course favours a fade. (Calcaveccia won here).

Furyk joins my list to win then.

Kaymer is also a pretty big power fade kind of guy. In fact, it's why he struggles at Augusta every year, which favours the right handed draw

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Open Weather

OK looks like wind and rain for FRIDAY MORNING the worst of it through 0800 to about midday.

So Bad weather for DJ, Mickleson, Scott, Garcia and Westwood all out 0830- 0930 on friday

Better weather for Speith, Day, McIroy, Lowry, Willet, Rose, Piercy and Fowler who are all out around 1340-1440

I'm lumping on Speith and Lowry and my outsider is Matt Fitzpatrick, I'm telling you this kid MF is going to win majors.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another kid to watch is Thorbjorn Olesen a tremendous talent.

Looks like the field are ripping it up early in the calm conditions.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lol they are ripping up the front 9 and then hitting a brick wall. All to a man leaking shots on the back 9.
Apparently it is the 11th doing the damage.
The first 21 players played the 11th in a cumulative 28 over par

Last edited:
grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm rooting for Phil (as an American), but I'm sure this lead will be hard to hold. Looking forward to a great finish.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I remember why I never really got into sports betting.
Phil and Stenson have had the best of the weather this is a great chance for both. I can't see anyone catching up from too far behind.

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm mad at myself for not putting money on Stenson. I had him in my yahoo pool

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
should be a good match play contest tomorrow to win the open

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I remember why I never really got into sports betting.
Phil and Stenson have had the best of the weather this is a great chance for both. I can't see anyone catching up from too far behind.

I didn't put money on anybody for the Open. Way too many variables in play this time around. But I did consider it and I did have the right player.

Also, nice finish for Stenson who finally gets his elusive major.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow wow wow Stenson, records everyone, very special

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My take - playing with Mickelson gave Stenson the focus to shoot a low score.
Henrik Stenson / John C. McGinley separated at birth!
tumblr_n6gh3zNYp21rzqjr8o1_500.jpg

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Imo Stenson's 3 iron on 17 in the final round was one of, if not, the shot of the tournament. Under pressure 221 yards par and pitched it about 3 feet from the hole, settling down to 8-9 feet fantastic.
Brilliant up and down there from Phil as well. He can't be too disappointed, to shoot 65 and still lose you just have to tip your hat.

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
One of the best duels, if not the best since the turn of the century. Crazy how well both these guys played