Golf

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stormy weather expected for the first two days, meaning one draw may have a significant advantage, but impossible to tell now.
Picks for the Byron Nelson:

I like Dustin and Kuch in the top tier of golfers this week.

Several interesting golfers in the second tier this week, I think Palmer and Dufner are the best choices there.

My sleepers for the week are Jonas Blixt and Colt Knost, who have been on form lately and have familiarity with the course.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Meant to bet this week but too late. Did notice DJ was favored, I guess this course is just suited to him? Lots of guys off to low starts though, here we go.

C

Cdub512

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like DJ and Sergio this week. And of course, Sergio shot -7 today! I wouldn't mind somebody coming out of nowhere to contend this week as well.

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This has been my best fantasy week in a while. Took Spieth, Palmer, Dufner, Kuchar, and Kirk.

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My dad gets free tickets to the Memorial from a business partner, so I'm making the trip to Ohio from Toronto this week.

I've been going on and off to Jack's tourney since I was 8, almost 13 years ago.

Such a beautiful layout at Muirfield Village

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My dad gets free tickets to the Memorial from a business partner, so I'm making the trip to Ohio from Toronto this week.
I've been going on and off to Jack's tourney since I was 8, almost 13 years ago.
Such a beautiful layout at Muirfield Village

Lucky you
I've only ever played one Nicklaus course and that was;
http://www.st-mellion.co.uk/golf/the-jack-nicklaus-signature-course/reviews/

It is the best inland golf course I have ever played in the UK in 35 years, every hole is distinctive and memorable. .
I favour links generally but if I could play St Mellion for the rest of my days I'd be happy.
A few European tour events were played on it but because of the isolated nature of the venue they never got decent enough crowds.

I'm very interested to see how the big three match up this week after their respective wins.

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Had a great time last week at the Memorial. Followed groups with Canadians almost exclusively and Adam Hadwin was in the running before the rain delay in the 4th round. After that, he made a couple of bogeys that ended his shot.

Quite an interesting final as well with Curran and McGirt being the two survivors on a day where Kuchar, DJ, Woodland, Mcilroy and Holmes were all lurking.

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lucky you
I've only ever played one Nicklaus course and that was;
http://www.st-mellion.co.uk/golf/the-jack-nicklaus-signature-course/reviews/

It is the best inland golf course I have ever played in the UK in 35 years, every hole is distinctive and memorable. .
I favour links generally but if I could play St Mellion for the rest of my days I'd be happy.
A few European tour events were played on it but because of the isolated nature of the venue they never got decent enough crowds.

Muirfield Village is such an intelligently designed golf course from both a strategic point of view as well as a spectator point of view for tournaments and such. So many nice vantage points for the gallery following.

To your point about playing Nicklaus designed courses, I've played Glen Abbey, where they host the Canadian Open quite a lot and the back nine there may be the nicest nine I've ever played. He has designed quite a few courses in Western canada and I played nine holes at Bear Mountain when I was 13 or 14. Really nice golf course.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Matthew Fitzpatrick will win majors

"England's Matthew Fitzpatrick eased to victory at the Nordea Masters in sweden to claim his second European Tour title and boost his Ryder Cup chances."

This kid is the new McIroy, he won the British Masters on Woburn's tough Marquess course last summer to break through, his confidence is soaring and he has a great swing.
Don't be surprised when he duffs up the USA guys in the RYDER CUP.
Is there any top American with a sound technical swing? gauntlet thrown....

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the LPGA Tour, I'm very happy to see the young Canadian Brooke Henderson rake home her first major shooting 6 under today. One of the best golfers on tour and a good chance to medal in the olympics

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So who do you fancy for the US Open?

Straight hitting looks key on what looks to be a brutal course.
+5 won it in 2007.

The website has a drone flyover of each hole, every tee shot has multiple bunkers to catch the wayward off the tee, hitting the fairway regularly is going to be a key here.

UK tipsters are looking at Fowler, McIlroy, and Casey.
I fancy this sort of set up will suit Justin Rose as well.
My outside tip is Colt Knost he heads the driving accuracy stats and is well up there in the scrambling and putting stats. He has been in reasonable form recently and the US open often throws up surprise winners.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think it's Jason Day unless Speith starts hitting fairways.

L

Lance Webster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i personly think tiger shouldn't even be ranked anymore he's a bum

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Straight hitting looks key on what looks to be a brutal course.
+5 won it in 2007.

The website has a drone flyover of each hole, every tee shot has multiple bunkers to catch the wayward off the tee, hitting the fairway regularly is going to be a key here.

UK tipsters are looking at Fowler, McIlroy, and Casey.
I fancy this sort of set up will suit Justin Rose as well.
My outside tip is Colt Knost he heads the driving accuracy stats and is well up there in the scrambling and putting stats. He has been in reasonable form recently and the US open often throws up surprise winners.

I think Knost is a smart pick. Fowler is so inconsistent but that could make him very dangerous this week. He also leads the tour in bogey avoidance, which is a good stat to lead at Oakmont where bogeys will be plentiful.
I also think Garcia is due for a good week here.

Outside of the favourites, I have Webb Simpson, Harris English and Brendan Steele as quasi-sleepers. All have the length off the tee necessary at Oakmont as well as decent accuracy and putting. They have also been putting together quietly solid seasons.

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Westwood and Watson are on both my yahoo fantasy and my Draftkings lineup so a good day for me so far.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
us open chatter

Some classic golf going here. Aside from crazy fast greens (saw they guy out with the green smasher laying it on good), looks like the USGA didn't over-tinker with the course this year??? Beautiful weather for this final round, thank the good lord. Rooting for my hometown guy, DJ!

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
USGA and FOX cowards hold a live penalty over Dustin Johnson's head and he crushes them both. My opinion is the following: they would not have the balls to impose the penalty if there was a one stroke difference at the end.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great win for DJ, he has clearly been working hard on his weaker areas.
I think I said it before but he was the guy who is out there in the arena getting knocked back continually.
I really pleased he's managed to break his major duck.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
major champ

I think I said it before but he was the guy who is out there in the arena getting knocked back continually.
much to be said for guys that take punches, and rise to greatness

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PGA & WGR updates: Billy Hurley III, leader late 3rd round at the Quicken Loans National, is ranked #607 in the world. That's an amazing 25 spots behind Tiger Woods!
http://www.owgr.com/ranking

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

I totally agree with you in that of the most prominent golfers on tour, nobody has taken the lumps that he has. He finally got the job done and good for him. It's fitting that he did it in the US Open because of the four majors, that one is the toughest one to play because the USGA takes difficult courses and makes them tougher. It's also appropriate that he did it on Father's Day. It makes it extra sweet.

C

Cdub512

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If Hurley, Els, or Rahm win today, that would be cool. I also hope Wesley Bryan can get into the top 4 so he can qualify for The Open!