Golf

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bubba Watson hates TPC Scottsdale (but does he like the event, Phoenix Open [Waste Management]?)
Bubba is a speak-off-the-top-of-my-head kind of guy. Not exactly constructive though. He seemed to be having a good time there last year, throwing footballs into the stands and all. I guess when you've already made it, and you're mega-rich, you can just say whatever you want.
http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/14710778/bubba-watson-no-fan-phoenix-open-tpc-scottsdale

W

we will rock you

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
golf is way better than the tiger era day,watson,speith,rory

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Combat Golf!

golf is way better than the tiger era day,watson,speith,rory
Totally agree, I think golf is way healthier than anybody expected in the post-Tiger era. I say it's the most competitive non-contact sport on Earth. (aside from robot combat golf,
100-ft.-Robot-Golf-ps-vr.jpg

which is, of course, full-contact and explosive as hell)

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Grilldoggy. Do you bet on golf?.
Now Jason Day has won his first major I have a hunch he will win at Augusta and quite easily as well. Perfect draw flight for the course and a better short game than Mcilroy. We'll see how Speith gets his act together in the meantime.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
betting on golf

Hey Grilldoggy. Do you bet on golf?.
Now Jason Day has won his first major I have a hunch he will win at Augusta and quite easily as well. Perfect draw flight for the course and a better short game than Mcilroy. We'll see how Speith gets his act together in the meantime.
Hey Fig,
I used to bet on golf regularly. Not so much anymore but someday again I'm sure. I'm not of the opinion that it's very profitable in the long run, your guy has to hit or you lose your bet completely. So when you're taking favorites your guy better hit! I find it more fun to take somebody with longer odds, but not to get the hopes up.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well now Adam Scott and Bubba W are coming back into the picture as possible winners at Augusta.
I like the way Scott is swinging the club at the moment, he has always seemed mentally fragile which is strange for an Aussie as they are usually tough in this department. He's never won as much as he should have and I've never forgiven him for throwing away that 4 stroke lead at the Open and letting Els sneak in.

Augusta is arguably an easier course for a leftie as it is easier to hit controlled fades than draws and getting the ball to land softly on the greens with a high fade is ideal. This means Bubba will always be a danger at the Masters and I have a ton of winnings from him there already.
Mcilroy changing his putting grip is a very big deal, he's basically admitting to be inferior to the other top players in this department. I can't see that the style will be bedded in and give him enough feel for Augusta's greens. I'll be really surprised if he contends over the next few weeks.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yep, Bubba will be among the favorites at Augusta for many years to come. His game is well suited to that course. I doubt Spieth will repeat, but he'll finish strong of course. Not exactly a longshot, but I think Dustin Johnson will make a charge at the green jacket.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep, Bubba will be among the favorites at Augusta for many years to come. His game is well suited to that course. I doubt Spieth will repeat, but he'll finish strong of course. Not exactly a longshot, but I think Dustin Johnson will make a charge at the green jacket.

I call him Dustbin Johnson because that's where his grip deserves to be, and because of it his swing doesn't hold up under pressure. I also think his short game isn't good enough for Augusta. This course is designed for the short game experts, you only have to look at the winners list. Seve and Ollie, Woods, Mickleson, Crenshaw all multiple winners with top short games
His putting has improved but his chipping is very average. If you look at his scores over the years he has put together some impressive rounds but he can go double triple in the blink of an eye and he usually does at some point in the tourny.
Remember when Darren Clarke won the Open? Johnson was right with him in the final round until he just put one inexplicably over the fence out of bounds to the right from the middle of the fairway 14th/15th hole. Champs don't do that and its always been his issue. Still he's been knocking on the door plenty, perhaps someone will give him a major one day.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DJ & The Bubba

'Dustbin', lol. All good points, Fig. Dustin Johnson graduated from the same high school as my oldest son attends. (Still waiting for DJ to break through, he's sorta got the 'Greg Norman' virus at the moment (but no majors). Wish I could hit the ball as far as guys like DJ & Bubba, could scrape up enough short game to make a career of it!

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Dustin is very good player man ..
Absolutely....One of the best ball strikers the game has ever seen.

We are talking about the fractions in a guy's technique that are the difference between being a major champ and not.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I respect the guy.
He is the one in the arena fighting and trying his hardest. Getting knocked down again and again and still getting up and knocking on the door again.
I have looked at the 3 putt to lose the US open quite a bit. It was widely regarded as a choke but it clearly wasn't. He missed the winning putt by a fraction and the 4 footer coming back took a horrid bobble left about a foot shy of the hole.

We are merely the critics on the sideline lacking the talent to mix it.
For the last 20 yrs my handicap has been between 4&6. But I'd say my short game is probably better than his I just can't drive consistently.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, as I recall it was late in the day(of course), and the greens had changed a bit due to it. To his credit, he took a bold stroke at sinking the first attempt, and the ball just went well by. You could sense that he would struggle to sink that last putt, and it surely was a heartbreaker.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nice comeback victory by Charl Schwartzel from 5 strokes back over Bill Haas to take the Valspar after the first playoff hole. Even more incredible considering the difficulty of the course, as both finished just -7 after 72 holes.

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Schwartzel is in very good form at the moment. Won twice in South Africa this year already on the European tour
Should be top ten at the Masters so a decent e/w bet and should win whatever 3ball he's out in.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fig's best Masters longshots?

Schwartzel is in very good form at the moment. Won twice in South Africa this year already on the European tour
Should be top ten at the Masters so a decent e/w bet and should win whatever 3ball he's out in.

Hey Fig, here's a link to some Masters odds. Schwartzel is 65-1. What longshots do you like on this list?
http://www.vegasinsider.com/golf/odds/futures/

Figaroo2

Figaroo2

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What longshots do you like on this list?
Golf is a form game, i'll be paying it much more attention closer to the tournament.

World number 32 at 250-1, looks like a good shout for an outsider, the yanks won't have heard of him but this lad Sullivan has steadily risen up the rankings in the last two years and has been playing great on the Euro tour and T17 at the Cadillac , he is a precision iron player and also a fantastic putter which is what you want for Augusta.
I think he will be an Augusta rookie?, but its not too hard to see him placed between 5th and 20th. If he shows some form in the next few weeks I'll be taking him small each way hoping he can finish 5th 6th or 7th.

http://www.owgr.com/Ranking/PlayerProfile.aspx?playerID=15326

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Master picks

Kinda like:
Vaughn Taylor (300-1), Patrick Rodgers (200-1), & JB Holmes (125-1).