LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
GOAT gets his 3rd Balon D'Or

messi-1-2-3-o.gif

Votes are always worth a few lols, personal faves here are the Venezuelan and Burundi coaches choices

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/classic/awards/01/56/60/53/awards_men_player_countries.pdf

Sell Pique for a pittance and he turns into a world class defender who picks up points in the Balon D'Or. A defender. Sigh.

I agree with that. Personally I'm of the opinion that neither were a red card. How the FA can turn down a players appeal to have his red card rescinded and then the very next day do nothing about a challenge made in more or less the same fashion is ridiculous. It's either a red card and he is retrospectively punished or Kompanys was not a red card and should have been rescinded. I'm really surprised that City have not pushed the issue harder and asked a hell of a lot more questions. If I was in charge I know I'd be chasing down a reason why and calling them out in public when they inevitably failed to give one.

The reason there can be no retroactive punishment for Johnson is because the referee saw it and deemed it not a foul, only an incident the referee didn't see or a red card can be appealed. Kompany's wasn't overturned because by the letter of the law and the referee's interpretation it was a red card, there's no way it was ever going to get overturned.

Fwiw I don't think either was a red card but both tackles were slightly different and comparing the two is pointless. A 2 footed tackle has never equalled a red and the FA have never said it is.

Last edited:
B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The reason there can be no retroactive punishment for Johnson is because the referee saw it and deemed it not a foul, only an incident the referee didn't see or a red card can be appealed. Kompany's wasn't overturned because by the letter of the law and the referee's interpretation it was a red card, there's no way it was ever going to get overturned.

Fwiw I don't think either was a red card but both tackles were slightly different and comparing the two is pointless. A 2 footed tackle has never equalled a red and the FA have never said it is.

Which law from 'the letter of the law' did Kompany break? I've looked aat the FA's rule and I have yet to see one that was broken by Kompanys tackle. How do you know the referee saw it? I haven't seen anything that suggests the referee saw the two footed lunge, which at the very least it was a foul. Surely if one referee sends off Kompany and one doesn't give a foul to Johnson one referee needs to be held accountable and neither has.

LuckyChippy

LuckyChippy

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Which law from 'the letter of the law' did Kompany break? I've looked aat the FA's rule and I have yet to see one that was broken by Kompanys tackle. How do you know the referee saw it? I haven't seen anything that suggests the referee saw the two footed lunge, which at the very least it was a foul. Surely if one referee sends off Kompany and one doesn't give a foul to Johnson one referee needs to be held accountable and neither has.

It was deemed a reckless tackle. I agree it shouldn't have been a red but it was never going to be overturned. He left the ground with both feet in a scissor motion and forced a player to jump over him. These factors can be considered reckless and they will back the referee. In a somewhat twisted way I don't think it should have been a red but believe the decision should stand, as it did.

The second part is nonsense, of course the referee saw the tackle because he was watching the game, he just decided it wasn't a foul, something I agree with.

Like I said before, there is no mechanism to 'hold accountable' the referee. The only things that can even be looked at retroactively are things the referee didn't see and didn't put in his report and red cards. Kompany's was appealed and upheld for the reasons I stated and Johnson's was dealt with by the referee.

At the end of the day it's all an interpretation by the referee using clearly stated rules and somewhat ambiguous guidance.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It was never a reckless challenge that endangered anyone though. He came in with one foot (the scissor motion didn't happen till after Nani had gone past and he was bringing the ball under control) and cleanly won the ball. Giggs challenge on Aguero was actually much worse, from behind with an actual scissor motion. Johnsons is cloer to a red card as he comes in with feet together diving in with his whole weight behind the challenge. If Nani, the biggest woman in football, didn't think Kompanys was a bad challenge then I don't see how the ref can have given a red card. It was a referee error from a referee who has been an absolute disgrace recently, Spurs-Stoke and Chelsea-QPR being two matches where he showed he is not competant enough to manage in the premier league. How he got awarded a huge FA cup game is beyond me. He gave a wrongful red card to Kompany, should have certainly booked Giggs at least, United should have had another penalty, City should have had a penalty. One of the worst referring performances I have seen in a long time, it was almost like he was trying to rival Ovrebo in displays of ineptitude.

Yes he saw the tackle, I doubt he saw the nature of the tackle as it was a definite foul and he didn't give it

The method to hold accountable referees would be to demote them, not reward them with even bigger games. Also they should come out and admit when they get major decisions wrong. The card would have been rescinded if Foy could have at least admitted to his mistake, however he compunded it by maintaining it was a red card.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LFC. I never want United to win a game and the scousers beating City an United in one week will try and convince me that "next year is their year" and they have been restored to their true glory.

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Should be a cracking game. MU all the way. Welbeck to score the winner, 2-1. You heard it here first.

flatcaller

flatcaller

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Amazing game. LFC got the best out of their line up, KD did great job with substituting. Can't wait to see the 5th round fixtures will be good.

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bleh, right score wrong winners imo. Man U were the better team imo but fair play to the pool. A draw woulda been fair I suppose.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think United were the better team. I think it was pretty much even. They both had good spells but Liverpool made the most of theirs.

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fair enough Blue, I was just a disappointed supporter when I typed the above post. Kinda scrappy game. Thought United passed it better. Wish they got it out to Valencia more.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Delighted we won, but I thought ManU had the better of it until the last 15-20 minutes when the Liverpool subs had a big impact. Carragher in midfield didn't work out, Stevie didn't have his best ever game and Henderson was largely anonymous.

I excuse all of that after a tough game on Wednesday. I think we are still struggling to know our best line-up. Defence looks OK, and we have a potentially great midfield with any 4 or 5 from Gerrard, Lucas, Kuyt, Henderson, Downing, Maxi, Adam and maybe Spearing....up front, we need Carroll to find his game and we need Suarez back to support Bellamy who is playing great right now.

Still need more cover in all 3 areas....one really great player in each makes us contenders next year. A great defender, great midfielder and a truly great goalscorer, like a Hunt, Rush, Aldridge, Fowler, Owen...this is about the first time in 40 years we haven't had one.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On a sidenote, How does Adam the Amputeer get away with the challenges he puts in?

flatcaller

flatcaller

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Refs discretion. To tough to call at the pace of the EPL. Seeing it at 100% speed it is tough call to make.

B

BlueNowhere

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
imo refs shouldn't be refereeing at top level if they can't see the same offender repeatedly hacking at opponenet players.

B

BluffYou123

Back in the Game
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
GL against Sociedad mate. :D Ya better find the net cos I've put a few quid on ya to outscore Messi for the rest of the season.

SilentJay

SilentJay

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good luck, Ian! Hope you've brushed up on your Spanish. (Or Catalan, I guess.) ;)

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Congratulations to Newcastle United for adding Cissé to their team.

He showed excellent performance during his stay in Freiburg i.B. in the German Bundesliga scoring 2nd most goals last season - and that with a rather mediocre team.

22 goals last season - he should be able to score at least another 10 in this season following his initial goal in the first game he played for Newcastle.