rotty

I triple dog dare ya
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Fun match to watch.
C. Ronaldo is kinda good. :p Guess thats why he gets all the bucks.
Gogogo BlackCats - suprise em all. Liverpool back on top next week.

motyennif

motyennif

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi - New to the forum and spotted this thread so I decided to let you know where I'm from, if you can't already guess from my avatar.
I was born in Preston but came to canada many, many years ago as a toddler, but kept in touch with family and football. My team unfortunately has not been in the premiership for a long time - have been trying to get promoted for the last 4 years. (a slight chance this year).
Support any English team in the Champions league and of course it's England's time to win the World Cup next year.
Have been watching the MLS and like Toronto FC (mainly because of Danny Dichio, an ex PNE player).

By the way Apr. 11 is Sir Tom Finney day - I assume that all you English football fans know who he is.

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most definitely motyennif, a legend of the highest degree. Roll on Saturday and TF-day.

L

LP666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well if i mess up I'm sorry. I'm from argentina and from here I'm a fanatic (yes a fanatic not just a fan) of Racing Club de Avellaneda. Of course as an argentinian I love to see football be played anywhere in the world. From England I'm a Man U fan. From Spain I got to say Barcelona. And from the rest of Europe it depends of how many argentinians play there lol.
I'm glad to see that football as the majority of the world knows it is growing in USA and sure it was good to see an argentinian win the title with Columbus. I'm talking about G. Barros Schelotto.
BTW who do everybody thinks will pass in the UCL quarter final matchups:

Arsenal-Villareal
Man U-Porto
Barcelona-Bayern Munich
Liverpool-Chelsea

I would bet on Arsenal, Man U, Barcelona and Liverpool (even though i believe Chelsea would bring all they have to try to advance)

Well football or soccer fans I salute U all and gl

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just got back from my first blues (that's birmingham, not chavski or man city!) game in a while. random thoughts!

- it's pretty sad that we can't fill a stadium for a game against our biggest championship rivals (both in terms of the league and geographicalness). i know it was a monday night, the weather was crap and it was on telly, but 5k empty seats is bad.

- lee carsley is a ****ing psycho. i just watched a replay if his tackle and while it didn't seem bad at the time in hindsight he definitely deserved to be sent off. wouldn't be surprised if iwelumo has a broken leg (but it's wolves, so my levels of care are limited)

- our two strikers not called phillips may have scored but they're still crap. if we go up the absolute first priority is to buy a proven top-flight goalscorer (look at what beattie has done for stoke for a good example). obviously we'd need to strengthen all-round, but we absolutely need a striker who (a) isn't 95 years old and (b) doesn't suck.

- this was the first time blues have actually played well in about six months. i have a good influence obviously.

- 27 quid is a lot of money for championship football. maybe this is one of the reasons why st andrews is only half full most games and still not full tonight? when teams get relegated, dont they generally drop ticket prices? not blues!

any other non-glory hunting fans who support teams who aren't in the prem here? ;)

edit: being boring and tipping arse/pool/man u/barca for champs league. if there is going to be a surprise i think it will come in the arsenal/villareal game though.

Last edited:
S

Shylax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wooooo!
Got out of Spain with an away goal! Fantastic goal by Adebayour!

Good result We should finish them off at the Emirates. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Was kind of upset with Wenger for giving up on those two corner kicks in injury time. They should have tried for that second goal. I know he was content with the one away goal but two are better than one.

Last edited:
Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lmao at how terrible man u were.

if they play that horribly for the rest of the season there definitely is still a race on for the prem title.

S

Shylax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Liverpool is out! There's no way they go to the Bridge next week and get a 3-0 or 4-1 result.

Munich's pretty much done too. Barca were awesome the first half.

The only leg really up for grabs is Arsenal-Villa. I think if Porto parks the bus against ManU they can escape to the Final Four.

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Barca are ungodly. Bayern won 12-1 on agg. in the last round, then Barca go and crush them, it's unreal

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Barca are ungodly. Bayern won 12-1 on agg. in the last round, then Barca go and crush them, it's unreal

+1 :vollkomme

3 of 4 regular defenders out in the most important game of the year so far, doh.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Barcalona have been the best side in Europe for the last couple of seasons imo.

When they are on top form there is no one close - a team of individual stars who can actually play well as a unit.

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Liverpool v Chelsea game was a much more lively affair than the Man Utd v Porto game. The 4 days they had to recover from their premiership games had a lot to do with it. United only having 2 days between games certainly showed. They were very lethargic at times and got noticeably more tired as the game went on. While the Liverpool v Chelsea game was played at a blistering pace virtually throughout.

I think Liverpool and chelsea will both have 3 days to recover from their next prem games before their second leg clash. United will have 4 days recovery time for their second leg clash and should show a bit more urgency if indeed there is a big difference between 2 and 4 days to recover ( which I believe there is ) Arsenal had 3 day for the first leg and I think will have 4 days for the second leg.

I am unaware of what recovery time Barca, Bayern, Porto and Villarreal had for their first legs or what recovery time they will have for their second legs, does anyone know?

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am unaware of what recovery time Barca, Bayern, Porto and Villarreal had for their first legs or what recovery time they will have for their second legs, does anyone know?

Bayern are going to need a very long time to recover imo :D

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, what a game at the Bridge!

For a few brief moments (well, ok first 55 minutes) - I had real hope that Liverpool might just pull it off against all the odds.

1-3 down, but 2-0 ahead on the night. One more goal......

Then to go 3-2 down on the night, 6-3 on aggregate, then score 2 more to again be just one goal away from a fantastic comeback with 8 minutes left.....

Great try, great game. Good luck to Chelsea - hope they go one better this year and win the whole thing.

KMC1828

KMC1828

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, what a game at the Bridge!

For a few brief moments (well, ok first 55 minutes) - I had real hope that Liverpool might just pull it off against all the odds.

1-3 down, but 2-0 ahead on the night. One more goal......

Then to go 3-2 down on the night, 6-3 on aggregate, then score 2 more to again be just one goal away from a fantastic comeback with 8 minutes left.....

Great try, great game. Good luck to Chelsea - hope they go one better this year and win the whole thing.

That was an exciting game to watch in the last like 20 mins. Lampard's final goal was a sweet 1 touch. GL chelsea, I guess I'll be rooting for them in the champion's league now since both Bayern Munich and Liverpool are out. :(

Melkor

Melkor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What a game. Wonder if Gerrard playing would have got Liverpool over the top. When Kuyt scored I couldnt help but cheer even though I dont support Liverpool in any way.

Got to think Chelski will struggle with Barca. Interesting Fergie said he thought the winner of the tie would pose Man U the biggest premiership threat.

motyennif

motyennif

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That was a great game today between Liverpool and Chelsea. Liverpool dave it their all but it wasn't in the cards. Good luck to Chelsea in the semis.

KMC1828

KMC1828

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Melkor, I think Gerrard playing would've gotten them a win, tbh, or at least made it quite close. They seemed to keep leaving the point pretty vacant while the ball was along the deep sides, and that's where Gerrard prospers.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am surprised that Barca are favourites for the CL, with ManU, Arsenal & Chelsea also in the semis. I know Barca are top of the Primera Liga but they are not that far ahead (6-7 points) and their Spanish counterparts Real Madrid and Villareal have both been soundly beaten by English teams already.

I expect Chelsea to win, maybe 3-1 on aggregate. We'll see. As for the other semi, Arsenal have a real chance IMO. ManU are not at their best and the Gooners seem to be finding their form again after a poor start. Could be lots of goals in that one. Maybe 4-3 Arsenal on aggregate.

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am surprised that Barca are favourites for the CL, with ManU, Arsenal & Chelsea also in the semis. I know Barca are top of the Primera Liga but they are not that far ahead (6-7 points) and their Spanish counterparts Real Madrid and Villareal have both been soundly beaten by English teams already.

I expect Chelsea to win, maybe 3-1 on aggregate. We'll see. As for the other semi, Arsenal have a real chance IMO. ManU are not at their best and the Gooners seem to be finding their form again after a poor start. Could be lots of goals in that one. Maybe 4-3 Arsenal on aggregate.

Barca are easily the best team in Europe at the moment. They are playing wonderfully at the moment. Chelsea will have nobody to handle Messi with Cole out. Barca will go through, and comfortably imo

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
barca at or near their best can and will beat anyone.

the equalizing factor is that chelsea (and man u) play at or near their best more often than barca.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've heard Barca touted as "the best team in Europe" many times in the past 20-30 years, from the days of Johan Cruyff to today and Messi. With a few exceptions, they have flattered to deceive. Usually, when they come face-to-face with a top English team, they suddenly appear less invincible.

The Primera Liga is NOT the Premier League. The level of competition week in and week out is not as good. As I said, we'll see - but I still fancy Chelsea.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Barcalona play some of the best football i have seen in the recent years, but, the opposition however in La Liga can sometimes be considerably weaker than your average Premiership team.

The advantage English teams have is their speed and strength, something they play with and need week in week out and so when it comes to European matches they have the ability to play the slower continental style or change it up a gear.

Chelsea v Barcalona?

Barca will edge it feel as Chelsea dont seem to be able to defend as solidly as they have in previous years.

Arsenal v Man Utd?

Man Utd - too strong all in most areas of the pitch as well as in depth of squad.

Final - Man Utd v Barcalona
Winner ?

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would love it so much if Arsenal overcame Man Utd and we had an Arsenal v Barca final. We might get the great final we were going to get in 2006 but were denied by awful refeering. Would be incredible for the neutral if both teams played like they could