Ongoing Soccer Thread

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you that Barca are special. It's like watching 11 men make love to a beautiful women. :D
Sublime..................

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with you that Barca are special. It's like watching 11 men make love to a beautiful women. :D

Yeah I watched them the other week playing, if i remember correctly, Athletico Bilbao, and it was one of the best team performances I've ever seen. If it wasn't Messi, it was Henry, if it wasn't Henry it was Xavi, or Iniesta or Eto'o. It was just wonderful. One of the very few times I've sat with a silly grin on my face while watching football :D

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Never read this thread. Iam a huge soccer fan. Played it all my life. I coach indoor soccer this season for boys and girls club. we won today 15-2

15 lucky goals?

Really worried about my team, Newcastle, at the moment, things are just not good. Our managers off work indefinitely, we have 7 out injured, a number of whom are important players for us and we just cannot buy a win at the moment. I can genuinely seeing us being another Leeds if we go down.

Oh and Barca, if they play at something like 70% of their best will win the Champion's League. They are just special

Newcastle have some of the best fans in the world, but everything else sucks. Even today, missing a penalty at 0-0, leaving Owen on the bench when they needed a win, playing with 10 men when they went 1-2 down.....:(

Oh, and $20 says Barca will NOT win the CL this year, as they didn't win it last year, or the year before.....etc.:)

What a strange analogy.....is that supposed to be something we would actually want to see? :eek:

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Barca are 6-0 up with half an hour to go at home to Malaga, playing some special stuff. Any football fan should watch. If you don't have the channel it's on, well, you're on the internet, they'll be a way ;)

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
WTF are ManU doing, there gifting the LFC the title!

My life would be hell if Liverpool won the title!

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LFC-Villa 5-0!
Pretty harsh the red card Friedel got, its was a penalty but didnt need to be a red imo.
last 3games 13-1 in goal diffrence after strugling since Jan to find the net.
Hopefully this trashing will be a kick in the ass for Villa and they give Man Utd a run for there money next weekend.

GeoffLacey

GeoffLacey

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Think Jurn's a Villa fan :) Not a good day for him :D

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Barca are 6-0 up with half an hour to go at home to Malaga, playing some special stuff. Any football fan should watch. If you don't have the channel it's on, well, you're on the internet, they'll be a way ;)

It was like watching 11 majestic Kingfisher's elegantly swooping down on their prey, that, or like watching 11 men make love to a beautiful woman. :D

Last edited:
blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
LFC has been the most sucesfull team in Europe and KO competions since Rafa took over, love him or hate him he is a genius when it comes to these formats.

Hmmm, is that actually true ....................

Rafa :
FA Cup - 2006
League cup - XXXX
CL - 2005

Fergie :
FA Cup - XXXX
League Cup - 2006 2009
CL - 2008

The above are just the European and KO competitions you speak of. I left out Super Cups & World Club Cups as they are not KO formats as such. If you are talking about 2nd's 3rd's and 4th's etc, well, hmmmmm who cares. :D

Well the way UEFA work it out is based on who they play every season and how teams do over the entire campaign, Liverpool have made 2 finals (winning one) and the semis in the last 4 years, this year making 1/4's at least as well. We have beaten Chelsea, Milan, Real, Barca, Juve (all of whom at the time were fav's against us) in the process.
How they have fared over the time Rafa has been in charge does have a bearing on this year as it shows the man has a knack of winning these games over a prolonged period against teams who are supposedly better than us.

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You might as well go back 10 years using this system, hell, 20 for that matter. Also you might as well count from the last 16 teams, maybe even 32.
Won one and made the final in one in the last four years. If they don't win it this year you will have to quote the last "five" years if you want to still include that one win in your statistics. Do you see the patterns I speak of.

EDIT: It's the name on the Cup or Trophy that counts the most.

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Liverpool FANS here who expressed concern at drawing Chelsea, NOT LFC. :rolleyes:

I think most Liverpool fans are just bored of the fixture rather being that worried, any team at this stage is gonna be half decent

My turn to LMAO, 2004 - 5 - 6 - 7 has little or no baring on CL 2009, only 2008 could have some influence on it, maybe.

answered in previous post

One current Liverpool legend ( SG ) said last weekend he hoped they would draw Porto or Villarreal. Which two Barca legends do you speak of btw? :confused:

Cryuff and I think the other was Stoichkov, and anyone with any iota of intelligence would have said hat they wanted Villareal or Porto as on paper they are the 2 weakest teams left

So to draw Chelsea after already doing the double against them this season obviously isn't something for Liverpool FANS here expressing their concerns, to be grateful about? Madrid the form team? - My god the Spanish league must be in an awful state then. :p

just check the stats on La Liga b4 the Liverpool result, I believe madrid had won 9 on the bounce. :)

Yep, Utd got the "gift" by overcoming the mighty Inter Milan in the last 16, very "lucky" indeed. :joyman:

Even Ferguson admitted Utd were lucky to beat Inter in the 2nd leg, if inter had a half decent striker they could have got a result. And getting the perfect 1/4 and semi draw is pretty lucky too as after Porto and Villareal I think Arse are the weakest team left

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You might as well go back 10 years using this system, hell, 20 for that matter. Also you might as well count from the last 16 teams, maybe even 32.
Won one and made the final in one in the last four years. If they don't win it this year you will have to quote the last "five" years if you want to still include that one win in your statistics. Do you see the patterns I speak of.

EDIT: It's the name on the Cup or Trophy that counts the most.

Except no manager bar Ferguson has been in charge of his club for 20 years so that makes that a pointless argument, UEFA use a rolling 5 year period and its how they have always worked this out. Bearing in mind Fergusons record in the CL isnt that impressive over his tenure compared to others I am sure hes glad they dont use your idea

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even Ferguson admitted Utd were lucky to beat Inter in the 2nd leg, if inter had a half decent striker they could have got a result. And getting the perfect 1/4 and semi draw is pretty lucky too as after Porto and Villareal I think Arse are the weakest team left

You obviously didn't understand the context of what Ferguson was actually saying. Soundly beating Inter Milan was in no way lucky, not by a long stretch. You use the words if & could, but those two words count for nothing at the final whistle. But if you want to insist that Man Utd are just continuously "lucky" and you actually believe it, cool. I hope all their opponents think like you.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
WTF are ManU doing, there gifting the LFC the title!

My life would be hell if Liverpool won the title!

:p Sorry, Jay, but you follow Everton, so your life has been hell since 1973, with a small ray of sunshine in 84-85. It's never too late to leave the dark side and come into the light.....just 400 yards across the park.:D

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You obviously didn't understand the context of what Ferguson was actually saying. Soundly beating Inter Milan was in no way lucky, not by a long stretch. You use the words if & could, but those two words count for nothing at the final whistle. But if you want to insist that Man Utd are just continuously "lucky" and you actually believe it, cool. I hope all their opponents think like you.

I understood what Fergie meant, he was saying if Inter had a half decent striker Utd would have been in trouble, he was trying to give his defenders a kick up the arse as he had seen them play poorly and he was concerned it was a trend that may continue, and he was right as poor defending cost them dearly @ OT against Liverpool.
Utd have more than their fair share of good fortune but they are also a good team built over 20 years and full of good players, just cos I am a Liverpool fan doesnt mean I dont appreciate quality footballers who play for other teams, but the top teams always get more rubs of the green, Liverpool did in the 80's.
Every teams cycle comes to an end and I see alot of similarities between Utd now and Liverpool at the end of the 80's, the key thing for Utd will be if/when Fergie steps down and who comes in.
As for Chelsea they bought success by buyin a lot of players who were in their prime in a short space of time for a lot of money, the problem with that is that they have a aging side with no real young talent to replace thm with and Abramovich seems to be reluctant to shell out another huge ammount of money so when all the 30+'s Lampard, Drogba, Ballack, Carvahlo, Anelka, Deco, Ferriera, Hilario, Belletti are not performing week in week out ( and I think this has already started) they dont have the next generation to replace them, and Terry, Malouda, A.Cole & J.Cole are only a couple of years off 30 too. The only top quality players in mid 20's they have are Essien, Cech and Boswinga and I have a feeling the 1st 2 at least will be courted by Barca and Inter in the summer and lure of those 2 maybe hard for them to resist.

Jagsti

Jagsti

I'm sweet enough!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
:p Sorry, Jay, but you follow Everton, so your life has been hell since 1973, with a small ray of sunshine in 84-85. It's never too late to leave the dark side and come into the light.....just 400 yards across the park.:D

Never in a million years :p!!!!!!!!

errr and dont forget the 86-87 season sunshine! ;)

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I understood what Fergie meant, he was saying if Inter had a half decent striker Utd would have been in trouble, he was trying to give his defenders a kick up the arse

You said it yourself, he was sending out a message to his defenders that they need to up their game if they want to continue to progress in the CL. Nothing "lucky" about that, just a manager sending out a message. They kept a clean sheet ( twice ) and scored two goals, a very sound result against an extremely good team.

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As for Chelsea they bought success by buyin a lot of players who were in their prime in a short space of time for a lot of money, the problem with that is that they have a aging side with no real young talent to replace thm with and Abramovich seems to be reluctant to shell out another huge ammount of money so when all the 30+'s Lampard, Drogba, Ballack, Carvahlo, Anelka, Deco, Ferriera, Hilario, Belletti are not performing week in week out ( and I think this has already started) they dont have the next generation to replace them, and Terry, Malouda, A.Cole & J.Cole are only a couple of years off 30 too. The only top quality players in mid 20's they have are Essien, Cech and Boswinga and I have a feeling the 1st 2 at least will be courted by Barca and Inter in the summer and lure of those 2 maybe hard for them to resist.

Going by what you say here, should I be tempted to say, "Omg Liverpool are so lucky" ?

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Going by what you say here, should I be tempted to say, "Omg Liverpool are so lucky" ?

Not sure wtf my assessment of Chelsea's squad has to do with 'luck' but as U seem fixated on this one comment I made I think I will move on.

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure wtf my assessment of Chelsea's squad has to do with 'luck' but as U seem fixated on this one comment I made I think I will move on.

Relax man, try to be civil.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
safc would be Southampton? If so, you must meet Beardyian.....you two could be pals! Or maybe not.....

Grats Ian on the win - glad you won, glad Everton lost and glad that an ex-Red (who I thought did very well at LFC given his limited opportunities) did the damage - all good!

BTW, I think I also predicted a Pompey win - but 1-0 not 2-1.

SAFC i believe would be Sunderland http://www.safc.com/home/

I even bet on them to win :eek: i never win my footy bets - the last 10 mins can kill a lot of winners for me lol :D

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
SAFC i believe would be Sunderland http://www.safc.com/home/

I even bet on them to win :eek: i never win my footy bets - the last 10 mins can kill a lot of winners for me lol :D

Thanks, Ian! That was puzzling me - don't know why I didn't think of Sunderland.

Funny season so far. The "underdog" teams that started well ae falling down the table (Hull, Stoke, Sunderland) and the "better" teams that started poorly are now climbing the other way (Spurs, Pompey, etc.)

Then there are the others who are playing their way into the Championship - Newcastle, Boro, etc.

Any 3 of about 8 or 9 can go down.....but if I had to pick now, it would be West Brom, Boro & Stoke, but there are some big, big games coming up between teams at the lower end that will have a big impact on who stays up.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Internationals this weekend and next week. I'm just hoping that no Liverpool players get injured (Torres/Gerrard) and that Liverpool can keep their form when they all get back together.

I hope England keeps their good start going next week against Ukraine.

MrFold

MrFold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Spain v Turkey on Saturday might be a decent match. And Lithuania v france looks interesting. The French have struggled so far. The Scots are playing away to Holland and it would be great if they could grab a point. portugal v sweden could also be a good game. They are both below Albania in their qualifying group at the moment.

:cool:

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Spain v Turkey on Saturday might be a decent match. And Lithuania v France looks interesting. The French have struggled so far. The Scots are playing away to Holland and it would be great if they could grab a point. Portugal v Sweden could also be a good game. They are both below Albania in their qualifying group at the moment.

:cool:
No! The Scots most lose :).
Then norway,Iceland,Macedonia and Scotland will all be tied(1+- point depending on the Norway-Macedonia game) for second and there will be a race for the playoff spot.