Ongoing Soccer Thread

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does Anybody know the difference in $ per team it means to be in the Premier league vs the next division down when a team is relegated?

Also, how big are the stadiums in the second division?
Championship stadiums varry from 15-40K.
Not really sure about income difrence, but relagated teams are losing out on atleast 20M+ GP.

Leo 50

Leo 50

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Love Football !!!!
Have for many years and I can remember when Pele came to the US to play.
My girlfriend is from Newcastle (I do feel bad for her :( )

MLS has certainly improved over the years as have US teams in general.

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ohh nice, an ongoing football chat/rant thread. :cool: I shall return. :icon_thum

C

chispa73

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope that the MLS one day switches to the FIFA schedule and has a relegation league like the USFL or something similiar.

The first step would be for all of the teams to get out of the American Football stadiums and get their own place because the FIFA season would coincide with the NFL/NCAA Football season.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're a Northampton fan? I used to live in Northampton and went to see the Cobblers at the County Ground in the 80s and then at Sixfields when they moved over there. £10 a game is pretty good. I hope they stay up this season.:cool:

The biggest thing I remember Northampton for was their FA Cup tie with Man Utd about 35 years ago - Northampton 2 Man Utd 8 (the late, great George Best got 6)!

I may have mentioned that im a Portsmouth fan (aka Pompey) :D
My first game was back in the 1980-81 season as we played Plymouth in the 1st leg of round 1 of the then League Cup http://www.pompeyrama.com/pompey-fc-match-1610-12-Aug-1980-Pompey-2-Plymouth-Argyle-1.html

Now nearly 30 years later and i still love the game and will happily watch a non-league match or a Premiership game, as long as theres a game.

Thanks to the shrinking planet, through television and the internet now global football can be followed just as well - great :D

That's a cool link to the programme from that game, Ian - I must check to see if Liverpool has something similar.

I'm an Arsenal supporter. Live in the states. Fell in love with the game after a ruptured achilles tendon in 2005 left me bedridden in the spring. Since I hate baseball, while channel surfing I bumped into Fox soccernet. Saw Henry and company running up and down the field like crazy and fell in love with their style of play and have been a supporter ever since.
I just love the excitement from the crowds with the football chants and the energy.

Arsenal under Wenger have had a couple of really good, attractive teams - at their best, they are wonderful to watch - even if you are not an Arsenal fan!

I actually work in a soccer stadium. I work for AEG which runs the Home Depot Center where the LA Galaxy and Chivas USA play.

I will admit that the MLS is not at the level of the European leagues but we are very close if not at the level of the Mexican and Argentinian leagues.

I think that in 10 years we will surpass any league on the Western Hemisphere. It wasn't that long ago that US soccer was getting beaten by the whole world but now we're in the top 20 on a consistent basis.

Cool place to work! Agree fully about the improving standard of US play - hard team to beat.

I've been a Man U fan from way back. They first captured my imagination when they won the European Cup in 68 when the likes of Best and Charlton were in their pomp. I was also rooting for them during struggles of the 70s when they were relegated into the old Division 2. Ron Atkinson enjoyed some success but it was only when Fergie took over that they really hit the glory trail again. However, even he took a few years to get going before they actually had new silverware in the cabinet.:)

Yeah, I still remember the '68 European Cup Final - Best's goal when he rounded the keeper to tap in, Charlton's 2 and a very young Brian Kidd with the other. That is one of the few times I have actually cheered on a Man Utd team!

Aberdeen and West Ham fan here. Last night was a bad night for an Aberdeen fan, beaten at home on penalties in the cup by a team in a lower division. West Ham are doing not bad this season but sometimes I wish I supported a team that wins, a lot! :D

My Debi is a Hammers fan, and I have had several good friends over the years who were also fans. I went to a few games when West Ham were playing near where I went to college. Good fun - "Come on you Irons"! And, of course, Alf Garnett was a Hammers fan through and through.....

Does Anybody know the difference in $ per team it means to be in the Premier league vs the next division down when a team is relegated? Also, how big are the stadiums in the second division?

Each team in the Premier League gets a certain amount of money for each position they finish in the table at the end of the season - the higher you finish, the more you get. There is also TV money that is bigger in the Premier League, plus bigger gate receipts due to the crowds that the bigger teams attract and the supporters that they bring with them.

I have heard that it is worth about 20 million pounds/30 million USD minimum.

Teams in the lower divisions vary. Some, like Birmingham/Wolves/Leeds etc. are former top clubs and have stadiums that hold over 40,000. Others can only fit about 18-20,000.

I hope that the MLS one day switches to the FIFA schedule and has a relegation league like the USFL or something similiar.

Yes - that would be huge in adding interest to the game in general - if a team like ours in Atlanta could get promoted to the MLS how much more interest would that generate?

MrMuckets

MrMuckets

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Man U fan here but then most of you knew that already:):)

MrFold

MrFold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Footie fact...

Not a lot of people know this...

Heard on the radio the other night...

In 1975 the average distance a player ran during a Division 1 match was 5,000 metres. In 1995 the average distance run during a Premiership match was 10,000 metres. The average for the Premier League now is 12,000 metres.

This cropped up during a discussion on the skill levels displayed during matches now. The point being made was that the likes of George Best prospered during the 70s because they had a lot more time on the ball than players of today.

Players today very rarely 'do a Bestie' and dribble the ball around three men and plant it in the back of the net because there is just no time to do so. Three defenders are scampering at their heels before they even have a chance to look up.

:cool:

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Therein lies the problem with American soccer. :) MLS is garbage.

Me and most of my friends like Liverpool, but I've also got a thing for Bayern Munich over in the German league.

PS. In international play, I support Germany :)

Living in Munich I must admit that I'm Bayern München fan (there could be worse though).

The US team has improved a lot over the last years - but the league can't be compared to the

premier-leage, the bundesliga, the spanish primera division, the italian seria A or even the

french league, yet. I don't know the exact numbers but the DFB

( the german football association) has 6,5 million members

(almost 1% of the population of germany) I guess in Britain numbers ought

to be similar - I think it will be a long time until the US reach those percentages.

MrFold

MrFold

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope it lives up to expectations. I read the book last year and another one about Cloughie - Provided You Don't Kiss Me. Both were very good.

:)

S

Shylax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
CHAMPIONS LEAGUE DRAW DAY!!!!

YES!! We got Villa! Actually I would have been happy with anyone but Liverpool and Man U...

Liverpool gets Chelsea........AGAIN. How many times in a row is that now? Tough one to call although Pool did do the double on the Blues this year.

Man U vs Porto ..... MANU advances. I don't see much of a fight by Porto.

Bayern vs Barca ..... I expect to see a lot fireworks with this one even though Klose's hurt. Barca will score a ton but they do give up a lot of goals too. Probably the most fun matchup. Barca advances though.

And my Gunners get Villareal. Except for the occasional brainfarts by Gallas and Toure, I think we should go through to the semis.

Final four prediction Man U, Barca, Arsenal, Liverpool

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Liverpool gets Chelsea........AGAIN. How many times in a row is that now?

Seconds away ................. round 5 :cool:
5th meeting in a row.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

YES!! We got Villa! Actually I would have been happy with anyone but Liverpool and Man U...

Liverpool gets Chelsea........AGAIN. How many times in a row is that now? Tough one to call although Pool did do the double on the Blues this year.

Man U vs Porto ..... MANU advances. I don't see much of a fight by Porto.

Bayern vs Barca ..... I expect to see a lot fireworks with this one even though Klose's hurt. Barca will score a ton but they do give up a lot of goals too. Probably the most fun matchup. Barca advances though.

And my Gunners get Villareal. Except for the occasional brainfarts by Gallas and Toure, I think we should go through to the semis.

Final four prediction Man U, Barca, Arsenal, Liverpool
I think its gonna be a Man Utd-Barca/Liverpool final :).
I hate geting Chelsea again,not because there one of the better sides(witch the are) but because these fixtures usualy end up 1-0,1-1 and just scruffy games.
Man Utd seem to have a pretty clear line to the finals, no disrepect to Porto but they arnt any where as good as the 03(04?) Morinho side and wont be much residence for Man U.
Arsenal should beat Villareal but this is probably the one game i could see a upset in,not that it matters much the Winners are most likly going out against Man utd.
And yeah Barca-Bayern should be the best watch but Barcalona is going through imo.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seconds away ................. round 5 :cool:
5th meeting in a row.
Luckily LFC has history against Chelsea, 4-1 in CL KO wins acording to my latest count :D.

p.s
And no Risse any more so Chelsea cant count on him ;)

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not a lot of people know this...

Heard on the radio the other night...

In 1975 the average distance a player ran during a Division 1 match was 5,000 metres. In 1995 the average distance run during a Premiership match was 10,000 metres. The average for the Premier League now is 12,000 metres.

This cropped up during a discussion on the skill levels displayed during matches now. The point being made was that the likes of George Best prospered during the 70s because they had a lot more time on the ball than players of today.

Players today very rarely 'do a Bestie' and dribble the ball around three men and plant it in the back of the net because there is just no time to do so. Three defenders are scampering at their heels before they even have a chance to look up.

:cool:

Some interesting stats there. I think they are a good argument for the "Would the team of 75 beat the team of today" type questions that always pop up. I think George Best would soon get pissed off with the likes of Stevie Gerrard snapping at his heels 5 seconds into a game.
I think he would of decided to take up darts or poker instead very quickly lol.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its gonna be a Man Utd - Barca

FYP...

BTW, did I mention I used to live in Barcelona? :D

I really see Barça winning it this year, but tbh it won't be easy. Both quarters and semis will be played with the second match away, which is quite a burden.

BelgoSuisse

BelgoSuisse

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Have you seen Barcelona play lately? Messi does that all the time... :D

S

Shylax

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Messi is awesome.

Belgo,

Who's the British announcer that does all the Barca games on Gol TV? I don't know if you get that channel but I tunein not only to watch them but here him announce the game. I've never heard a bigger 'man crush' in my life. He acts like Messi is the greatest being in the universe. The stuff he says is hilarious. He loves Dani Alves too but Messi to him is Jesus reborn or something. It's a trip..