Ongoing Soccer Thread

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also did all u football fans notice how yesterday never happened?
It was sunday then poff its tuesday.
Kinda sucks since i was looking forward to watching Liverpool vs Villa....

jaycism

jaycism

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i heard that thhere was a team that hadnt lost a game in 23 tries at home until a couple of days ago. can anyone tell me the detrails on what happened. i wanted to watch it but the kids ended up with control of the television lol

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lol Liverpool

3 points cheers guys, also isnt it about time footy fans grew up! Fighting is well 1970's the sad thing is apaz it was organised aswell sigh.

In other news looks like October is going to be good down villa park, man city and chelski at home then wolves away. Deffo be venturing down to those games!

Az__Avfc

Az__Avfc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Finally we revert back to the 4-5-1 that won us 10 out of 19 home games last season, hopefully O'neill will see sense and stick with it. Impressed with Reo-coker thought he should have got Motm although Friedel was impressive tbf a lot of the shots were straight at him. Sidwell and Davies looked good aswell. Referee got the big decisions right although it did seem that he gave all 50/50s to Liverpool but then again they were the home team and this happens, how Mascherano didnt get booked i dont know, I think his role is to take players down yet he apparently is world class at it? Hopefully this will see a return of the confidence that has been lacking for too long now with the Villa. We really still need to sign some players though.

As for West Ham - Millwall, pathetic but was always going to happen, pretty sure there was violence at there last meeting in the championship a few years back, football violence is not as dead as sky make out but when ever it kicks off with Millwall or West Ham it will be made higher profile due to the image of these clubs even though other seemingly middle class clubs have been just as bad over the years.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Finally we revert back to the 4-5-1 that won us 10 out of 19 home games last season, hopefully O'neill will see sense and stick with it. Impressed with Reo-coker thought he should have got Motm although Friedel was impressive tbf a lot of the shots were straight at him. Sidwell and Davies looked good aswell. Referee got the big decisions right although it did seem that he gave all 50/50s to Liverpool but then again they were the home team and this happens, how Mascherano didnt get booked i dont know, I think his role is to take players down yet he apparently is world class at it? Hopefully this will see a return of the confidence that has been lacking for too long now with the Villa. We really still need to sign some players though.

As for West Ham - Millwall, pathetic but was always going to happen, pretty sure there was violence at there last meeting in the championship a few years back, football violence is not as dead as sky make out but when ever it kicks off with Millwall or West Ham it will be made higher profile due to the image of these clubs even though other seemingly middle class clubs have been just as bad over the years.

yeah I agree we need to buy some more players, looks like we are going to take portsmouth's last half decent player apart from James in Distan. Hopefully he will replace Laursen.
Although we need another striker, i hope we can scout Tuncay he's scored 2 in 2 weeks now and we need a reliable goalscorer up top.

Az__Avfc

Az__Avfc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah Distin seems to be a real possibility, I remember his goal against us a few seasons back when we got done 3-1 at home by Man City it was pretty good for a defender, McCanns thats game wernt bad neither. Distin and Warnock seem the real possibilities at the moment, i'd be happy with both providing they were the right price. If only we had taken a gamble on Hangeland aswell it looked like we were set to sign him, next to Laursen we would have been awesome at the back with Bouma and Mellberg on the sides.

I heard Kranjcar is now available aswell, I wouldnt mind us putting a cheeky bid in if we could get him for a reasonable price. Could be a good option to use at home when trying to break down teams, a bit to lazy to use away though i feel. For around 5mil id be happy but he seems to have a good reputation now even though I havent been that impressed with him for a while now, just doenst seem to be up for the fight at pompey.

Just read that a fan was stabbed at the West Ham game last night, we had a steward beaten to death after a cup game with qpr but that didnt make the national news only really brummies and the qpr fans really knew about it. This is what I mean when I say any violence at games with West Ham and Millwall will be more well documented due to there reputations.

S

switch0723

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
how Mascherano didnt get booked i dont know, I think his role is to take players down yet he apparently is world class at it?

Harsh, the guy is like Kuyt. Not naturally gifted when compared to others in the team, but work their asses off in games to make more of an impact than talented players. Mascherano is still sprinting 80+ yards in the 90th minute to stop a breakaway

Az__Avfc

Az__Avfc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Harsh, the guy is like Kuyt. Not naturally gifted when compared to others in the team, but work their asses off in games to make more of an impact than talented players. Mascherano is still sprinting 80+ yards in the 90th minute to stop a breakaway

He's a good defensive midfielder fair enough but he's pretty talentless with the ball. I think thats why next to Alonso they worked so well last season, Mascherano wins the ball plays a simple pass to Alonso who has the technical abilty that mascherano lacks to pick a pass out to Torres or Gerrard or spray it out to the wings. They complimented each other well in the same way as Gattuso Pirlo 2007 champions league, workhorse ballwinner next to a technically superb player although Rino isnt as bad with ball at feet as you would think.

My anger with mascherano comes from the referee and his failure to book him after constant fouls then goes on to book reo coker for similar types of fouls just far less of them. Stevie G didnt even get booked for his tackle giving the penalty away. Maybe the referee favoured Liverpool or maybe its just my claret and blue specs.

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sick deal at the villa tonight, if we go through free ticket next round, gutted im at my gf's! oh well the games on TV at least!

Swear Engine

Swear Engine

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tbf most spurs fans ive spoke to are realistic about there teams chances, its more of a media thing I feel. They arent good enough for the top four. A few wins and everyone jumps on the bandwagon. Fair play to Burnley another win against another top side today. And finally Mr. O'neill buy some f***** centre backs already!!!!

I honestly think Spurs have a chance to break into the top 4 this year. You only had to look at the quality on their bench against Liverpool to see they have decent depth and from the performances so far this season they could be a big threat. Especially with Liverpool going into mini-meltdown.

yeah I agree we need to buy some more players, looks like we are going to take portsmouth's last half decent player apart from James in Distan. Hopefully he will replace Laursen.
Although we need another striker, i hope we can scout Tuncay he's scored 2 in 2 weeks now and we need a reliable goalscorer up top.

Ouch. Distan's a toffee and Tuncay discovered a love of wedgwood.

sick deal at the villa tonight, if we go through free ticket next round, gutted im at my gf's! oh well the games on TV at least!

Sickener. But at least you might last the whole season this time round. Europe didn't do you any favours last season.

Hands off! :mad: :D

Typical scousers on the rob eh...;)

KerouacsDog

KerouacsDog

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I honestly think Spurs have a chance to break into the top 4 this year. You only had to look at the quality on their bench against Liverpool to see they have decent depth and from the performances so far this season they could be a big threat. Especially with Liverpool going into mini-meltdown.
I dont have any loyalty to a premier League club(I support Torquay, 2nd division, just!), but Id really like to see Tottenham shake up the top 4 for once, sick of them dominating everything.

Swear Engine

Swear Engine

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont have any loyalty to a premier League club(I support Torquay, 2nd division, just!), but Id really like to see Tottenham shake up the top 4 for once, sick of them dominating everything.

Yeah i'm an Evertonian so no partiality in my comments. Especially after they gazumped us for Naughton. But Palacios is class and they have a decent group of players. After Harry got them going last season they never looked back. But i still wouldn't buy a used car off the dodgy old git.:cool:

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OK. 5 days later and I can now say "Well done" to Villa. After we missed the 2 early chances, we didn't play well and Villa grew in confidence. They deserved to win.

So, after a crappy pre-season we have a crappy start to the league season.

Don't ever say pre-season doesn't matter. It does. It sets you up for the season you can have, so you hit the ground running. While Liverpool were playing, and failing to beat, below average teams in Europe and Asia, Chelsea were playing Inter and AC Milan amongst others in the US. They looked strong, grew in confidence under their new coach and voila - 4 out of 4.

Right now, even though the season is still just starting, I will predict that not only we do not win the league but have to fight for top 4. We can no longer compete with clubs who have either (a) Mega-rich owners or (b) Regular crowds 20,000-30,000 bigger than yours or (c) both!

So - my revised hopes for this season are new owners, leading to the new stadium we should have been playing in this year. :D

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OK. 5 days later and I can now say "Well done" to Villa. After we missed the 2 early chances, we didn't play well and Villa grew in confidence. They deserved to win.

So, after a crappy pre-season we have a crappy start to the league season.

Don't ever say pre-season doesn't matter. It does. It sets you up for the season you can have, so you hit the ground running. While Liverpool were playing, and failing to beat, below average teams in Europe and Asia, Chelsea were playing Inter and AC Milan amongst others in the US. They looked strong, grew in confidence under their new coach and voila - 4 out of 4.

Right now, even though the season is still just starting, I will predict that not only we do not win the league but have to fight for top 4. We can no longer compete with clubs who have either (a) Mega-rich owners or (b) Regular crowds 20,000-30,000 bigger than yours or (c) both!

So - my revised hopes for this season are new owners, leading to the new stadium we should have been playing in this year. :D
Im usualy so optamistic but i have to agree with u on a lot here.
Trying to compete with teams that spend 100s of millions on players every year while our owners put absolutly NO money into transfers is simply geting harder and harder.
And the loan debt the club has gotten into because of the owners means Liverpool might pull a "Leeds" if we dont qualify for the champions league :(.

Honestly this might sound dumb but i think our bad results are the owners fault, broken promises and a lack of trust can by deadly to moral.
1. They promised to build a new stadium and that has now been but on hold cause to the financial meltdown.
2.They promised the wouldnt put financial burrdens on the club.
The club is heavily in debt because of loans they took.
3.They promised to strenghen the squad. Forfilled this promise first two years but this season we have sold players for more money then we bought for and our team despretly lacks deepth.

I want new owners, im not even talking about a Roman or Sheik aklsgjsl sdaghlakgda sgahlgjaslk that will spend billions, just some one that cares about the club, will put some money forward and isnt just buying cause a football team looks good in your portfolio next to hockey team and a baseball team.

Played bad again today but luckily Bolton got a red card and we managed domminate the final 20min and grap the win.
Going twice done to Bolton is simply not suposed to happen!
Glen was awsome as usual, amazing how he can look good even when we where playing bad, he and Kuyt also complament eachother really well imo.

Az__Avfc

Az__Avfc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My god - Anybody see Fletchers challenge on Arshavin and the handball to go with it? Can't believe it wasnt given but I suppose I had the benefit of seeing it on tv with replays. Diabolical non the less.

Milan get thumped 4-0 by Inter aswell, what has happened to Milan since 2007? Hopefully this will make them see sense and bring to quality and hopefully young players in. Juve play Roma tommorow this could be entertaining, hopefully a repeat of this fixture last year is in order for my bets at least.

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Milan get thumped 4-0 by Inter aswell, what has happened to Milan since 2007? Hopefully this will make them see sense and bring to quality and hopefully young players in. Juve play Roma tommorow this could be entertaining, hopefully a repeat of this fixture last year is in order for my bets at least.
Milan have been under achiving in Seria A for years now.
Combo of a nursing home squad and the fact that Inter have been great at home:D.
They allways seem to deliver something special in europe but fail at home, maybe we should call it the Milan/Liverpool syndrom :(

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Solid win for Chelsea - Burnley's keeper played a blinder!
ManU outclassed by Arsenal until the penalty (it was nailed on) and the crazy og!
Liverpool struggling aginst Bolton but winning tg.
Stoke solid at the back and getting another important win.
Spurs very lucky against Brum - unlucky Chris!

Spurs v Chelsea in 2 games time - will be interesting!

Jurn8

Jurn8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3 games left and I need all 3 for 9/10 for the pools

Villa Vs Fulham - Villa Obvs even though could be a tough game for us
Pompey Vs Man City _ Man City Obvs
Everton Vs Wigan - Everton because Wigan have been shite although Everton arent playing goot either

Cmon 1x me for a £££ score!

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
really could be london's year - man u and liverpool were incredibly unconvincing and lucky, arse and chelsea both looked great (diaby's finish was superb :eek:). then again man u stumbled through most of last season looking unconvincing but still won the league (although the number of times they were saved by ronaldo screamers is notable).

yeah losing in like the 94th minute hurts but we didn't really deserve anything out of the game. i thought it was funny that we contained defoe pretty well for over an hour and then peter crouch came on and completely destroyed us. still, good performances again from queudrue, ferguson and benitez and bowyer coming back and playing well gives me a little hope. joe hart still makes me shudder when he's coming for crosses though.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pompey fans to Craig Bellamy >
'He's just a sheep shagging ******'

Fair point imo :D

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if i was sitting next to whoever the idiot with the bells is at fratton park i would have killed him by now.