Ongoing Soccer Thread

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Then they made a big deal...Drogba is still one of the best strikers.

fishseller

fishseller

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
An easy walk for Munchen in the first round of germany cup:
Munchen vs Rehden 5:0

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Arsenal v Fenerbahce? What do you think? Would be kind of funny if they miss out on the CL after all Suarez's antics....

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And I do like John Henry's stance on Suarez - he's under contract, not for sale, end of story. United should do the same with Rooney, and Spurs do the same on Bale. I think half the trouble is stirred by the agrents who want another transfer fee cut or salary hike.

B

BlkDeath

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Looking for a foot game

Does anyone know what channel I can catch the games from UK in USA?

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am in Georgia. From next weekend the English Premier League will be on NBC Sports - that is channel 44 for me. I can also watch football on channel 294 (Bein Sports) and on channel 124 (Fox Soccer Network).

If you're going to stay around, join our free Fantasy Football league. There's a separate thread for it in the Sports section.

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe NBC are showing the new Premier League season in the States, starting on Aug 17.

Regarding Arsenal, I'd like to see them miss out on the Champions League as well, but that could just be because I'm a Spurs fan... :D

B

BlkDeath

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Cool I saw the Fantasy Football Thread when I was looking for this to see what you guys posted.. Thanks for the info ..I will check NBC .. only can go up to 100 on channels.. I'm a tight wad..lol

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are really tight you could just stream it online for free. Plenty of sites offer this service. It might not exactly be legal where you are but PM me if you need a link for any game in particular.

fishseller

fishseller

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Manchester United - Wigan Athletic 2:0
in FA Community Shield

Van Persie scored twice though the game was rather boring and slow imho.
BTW David Moyes won his first trophy with Man Utd.

:party:

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Van Persie is awesome - Arsenal were crazy to sell him to ManU last year.

He could win the league for them again this year....if he was still at Arsenal they would have a serious shot at it themselves.

F

FLOnaldoRO

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guys , with this transfer ( to buy Robin Van Persie ) Arsenal was losting the best player , the engine !

Manchester United have a letal attack with R. Van Persie and Rooney , if one of the best couple of attack .

The best trio was on Real Madrid last year with Benzema - Higuain - C. Ronaldo :d .

Are a lot of players who can make the difference , so we are waiting for the new season . I can't wait anymore , last days to the big day !

Let's begin Premier League , Primera Division and Serie A !

RichL

RichL

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've always liked david moyes but he's lost me a bit with this nonsense about the fixtures being set up to disadvantage man utd. what is it with their managers that they think the world should be set up to suit them and it's a conspiracy if it isn't.

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fixtures are set up for TV and often it does disadvantage the bigger teams, especially those in Europe, but it is something that great teams have to overcome. I'm sure the treble winning team in '99 had more than a few tough fixtures and fixture congestion.

Basically, in an ideal world, your team would start off with bottom half teams and Saturday 3pm kick-offs. In essence, I don't disagree with what Moyes said, and he was probably pushed by journos to say it, but on the other hand you have to play everyone in the league twice so it isn't really true that anyone gets harder fixtures than anyone else.

I think it is more about taking pressure off the team. All of the great managers do that. Whether it be Mourinho claiming he is the special one, Wenger saying he didn't see it, or Sir Alex blaming the fourth official for insufficient injury time. It's basically about distracting the pressure from the players.

Moyes has his excuses lined up already, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone is coaching him on how to do it.

RichL

RichL

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The teams you play against are random (except maybe special dates like boxing day/new year). He was moaning about the teams they have in the first few fixtures.....

Man Utd - A Swan, H Chel, A Liver, H Palace, A City, H WBA

I wonder when Laudrup will have a moan about Swansea's start.....

Swansea - H Man U, A Spurs, A WBA, H Liver, A Palace, H Arsenal

......or maybe he has a bit more class ;-)

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The fixtures are definitely not random. Like you said yourself, "special dates" always draw up the same fixtures. But I have followed a PL team for 15 years now and always go to the same fixture around my birthday at the start of May. There are also so many restrictions on the fixture list due to transport systems, policing, and TV. For example, Everton and Liverpool can't play at home on the same day.

It is the same for your timetable at school, uni, or work. You'll get a shit 9am on a Monday or 5pm on a Friday simply because some other third-party interest prevents it from happening mid-day on a Wednesday.

I'm sure Laudrup would also have said he couldn't believe his fixture list if pushed on the subject. It's just no one in the media cares about Swansea enough to run a story saying "Laudrup in fixture conspiracy", etc.

For the record I don't even like Moyes and I think he wasted his summer trying to keep a player that wants to leave and trying to sign a player that doesn't want to go. There are many incompetent things he has done and will do. But it is pretty clear the fixture lists aren't entirely random and third-party interests have a say in them.

That's just modern-day football.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
OK, just for fun, my thoughts on the finishing positions in the English Premier League this year!

1. Chelsea
2. Arsenal
3. Man City
4. Spurs
5. Man Utd
6. Liverpool
7. Swansea
8. Everton
9. West Ham
10. Norwich
11. Newcastle
12. Aston Villa
13. West Brom
14. Southampton
15. Cardiff
16. Fulham
17. Sunderland
18. Hull
19. Stoke
20. Crystal Palace

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My wish for the new season is Everton to finish above Liverpool for the THIRD year on the run and to actually get the run of the ball and a ref who is not blind in a derby and actually win one for a change. :D:D:D:D
I actually agree with Joe, I would be more than happy if Suarez left Liverpool cos I think he is in the top 5 players in europe but he signed a new contract last summer and it is about time clubs stood up to want away players, but you cant blame Suarez cos he will never play Champions League football if he stays with Liverpool :D:D:D:D ( only joking Joe, honest).
I think the Mancs should do the same with Rooney.
I also want Moyes to fail and get sacked, I used to love him but all last season he said he would discuss his new contract at the end of the season, knowing full well he was going to be the next Manc manager.
I cant blame him for going but at least be honest, he only found out a week before my a.s:eek::eek:
Ps Joe, Everton to finish below Swansea and Liverpool , I think the heat must be getting to you :D

Last edited:
n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If Bale stays I think Spurs could be serious dark horses this year. Third and a trophy of some description is more than possible.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My wish for the new season is Everton to finish above Liverpool for the THIRD year on the run and to actually get the run of the ball and a ref who is not blind in a derby and actually win one for a change. :D:D:D:D
I actually agree with Joe, I would be more than happy if Suarez left Liverpool cos I think he is in the top 5 players in europe but he signed a new contract last summer and it is about time clubs stood up to want away players, but you cant blame Suarez cos he will never play Champions League football if he stays with Liverpool :D:D:D:D ( only joking Joe, honest).
I think the Mancs should do the same with Rooney.
I also want Moyes to fail and get sacked, I used to love him but all last season he said he would discuss his new contract at the end of the season, knowing full well he was going to be the next Manc manager.
I cant blame him for going but at least be honest, he only found out a week before my a.s:eek::eek:
Ps Joe, Everton to finish below Swansea and Liverpool , I think the heat must be getting to you :D

Haha - like it Colin! We'll see how it goes - several unknowns this season with so many new and almost new managers in place.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im looking forward to seeing Coutinho have a full season, from what i have seen he is some talent :top:

AlfieAA

AlfieAA

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the day has come :)

some predictions for this season

top 4 in the league this season

1 man utd
2 chelsea