Ongoing Soccer Thread

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone here following german bundesliga besides me ?

woody19

woody19

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
england v brazil only a friendly love to see them play against each other :) put a funny bet on 2quid 40-1 a.cole to score first lmao very doubtful

SilentJay

SilentJay

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anyone here following german bundesliga besides me ?
I usually do. But I'm not really following much of anything this season, I have to admit. I get the results, but that's about it.

And I have to say - I don't feel like I'm missing anything. :confused:

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
German league is by far the best in the world imo.
Yes they might not be quiet as strong as the Spanish/English sides(all though Dortmund and Bayern have shown they can match them) but they have the highest attendance of any European league, they have the best run clubs(unlike most Spanish/English/Italian sides they are not all running on massive loses), there academies are among the best in the world(especially Bayern,Dortmund,Leverkusen), the clubs are mostly all fan owned so no money men sucking the life out of the clubs.

Honestly I cant think of a single bad think to say about the bundesliga.
Pretty sure that it will surpass the Spanish and English leagues in the near future. The Spanish model with Barca/Real dominating both on and off the field(TV money,Sponsors) wont last and the English game is run on massive loses but kept afloat by sugar daddies.
The German league still feels like the peoples game where as the rest of the big leagues feel like Sheik Alamsaasaadianm and Oil Baron Dinakornakovalivtiovitchs game.

So yeah I follow the German league. Dont really have a team in the bundesliga though which is probably why I dont follow it more. All though I do love St Pauli ;)

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The German league has really stepped up in the past couple of seasons imo.

We get to see several of the weekend games and the atmosphere is always impressive.

The Spanish league is damaged by the two giants Barca & R.Madrid having so much more advantage over the others although its good to see Ath.Madrid & Malaga putting up a good fight this season.

The Italian im afraid is just too nuts - corruption from the referees, players & managers is bad enough, but the never ending diving, fighting & play-acting drives me nuts :mad:.

The English crown has slipped a little of late and isnt really helped by the 3rd-6th placed teams being weaker than they were 3-4 years ago.

Even Man City & Utd fail to shine even when winning and have become more workman like (no offence to workmen ;)). This being wriiten whist City are losing 3-1 to Scu......Southampton :icon_puke. Poor is an understatement.

1. germany
2. England
3. Spain
4. Italy

probably at the moment.

Here are 2 astronauts watching Balotelli on Wednesday >>

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for beardies and S93' analysis.

I see the spanish league being about as strong as the premier league atm.

Totally agree on italian league being total crap - corruption, debt, scandals you name it.

In fact I think even the french are pulling past them.

In Germany even the smallest sides get ~25k attendants (Augsburg, Fürth, Hoffenheim)

and the contenders most likely to be promoted from the 2nd to the Bundesliga

(Braunschweig, Herta BSC Berlin, Kaiserslautern, Cottbus, Union Berlin, 1860 München) have between 22k and 80k attendants (sic!).

It's not that watching football live here is really cheap (30-40€) for one seat at Bayern München home games but in comparison

to premier league prices for the top teams (>100 pounds) they are still affordable for the average fan.

Todays results and league table - note that Bayern is really crushing this season.

Attachments

• new2.jpg
    new2.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 31
  • new.jpg
    new.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 31
S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Re-Italian league.
Its pretty clear that france(and even portugal,netherlands and the Ukraine) will over take it in the coefficient ranking soon and there for take a CL spot of Italy which will make the league deteriorate even further.

Shame really, growing up watching Serie A on the weekends in the 90s when the league was just rip with talent is something I miss. Ronaldo,Zidane,Trezeguet,Baggio,Maldini ect.
But low atendence and crazy corruption has ruined the league.
And unlike the early/mid 00 there is no Milan power house to rake in the coefficient points for them today.

Grafkow, how is Hyypia doing with Leverkusen? I know they have been do well since he took over(obvs, with them being 3rd and all) but what is the general consensuses about him as a manager in general?

City where so poor today. All three goals where gifts.
Ridicules of Mancini to take out Milner(best player in the mid week game) for Nasri who is just 10 different shades of shit, honestly didnt realize he was on the pitch until the second half.
Also wtf was with his substitutions? I know im losing so I will take off my only CB and replace him with a FB and play a back 3 consisting of 2 FB and a horrible DM. Then I will take off my only really creative player and replace him with yet another fullback that is so passed it that he looked exhausted just running on to the pitch.
Honestly think they won the league last year DESPITE of Mancini and not because of him.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Grafkow, how is Hyypia doing with Leverkusen? I know they have been do well since he took over(obvs, with them being 3rd and all) but what is the general consensuses about him as a manager in general?

Hyypia is doing great as co-manager together with Sascha Lewandowski.

At the beginning of this season Hyypia was considered being too shy not really voicing his undoubted knowledge often enough.

But during the season this has changed as he and Lewandowski found their fields of expertise and they're working together fine.

Still Hyyia isn't and probably will never be a "loudspeaker" or happily deal with the media but given the current constellation he needn't.

His expertise in football theory is well acknowleded in Leverkusen and throughout the neutral football fans in Germany though.

Last edited:
SilentJay

SilentJay

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Italian im afraid is just too nuts - corruption from the referees, players & managers is bad enough, but the never ending diving, fighting & play-acting drives me nuts :mad:.
The diving was terrible in the Bundesliga a few years ago, as well. One of the main reasons I lost interest back then. Glad that this has changed quite a bit.

Although I guess there'll always be so-called men falling over and writhing in agony whenever an opponent happens to invade their "personal space." I guess it's less embarrassing than peeing your pants in panic, maybe? :rolleyes:

rotty

rotty

I triple dog dare ya
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would just luv to watch the German league over here in the states.
I get plenty of the Premier and La Liga matches to watch so thats all good.
Unfortunately for me, the Italian Serie A is shown much to much. :p

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Celtic played well, Juve where dire yet some how they won 3-0.
Shows what a organized defense and good counter can do.
But god I hate Italian football today. I hate there stupid haircuts, I hate there blatant diving and whining,I hate there stupid league and ridic match fixing, I hate there empty stadiums and corrupt owners.
Did I mention I dislike what has become of Italian football?

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Celtic played well, Juve where dire yet some how they won 3-0.
Shows what a organized defense and good counter can do.
But god I hate Italian football today. I hate there stupid haircuts, I hate there blatant diving and whining,I hate there stupid league and ridic match fixing, I hate there empty stadiums and corrupt owners.
Did I mention I dislike what has become of Italian football?

I'm sensing you're not a fan, am i right? ;) :D

O

onemorechance

live free or die
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sir Bobby Robson would have been 80 today. Truly one of my heroes, a great football manager and an absolute gent. One of my most prized possessions is a signed match programme from his first Newcastle home game (which also happened to be the first time I'd been to a live game), it says ''Dear onemorechance, First game at St James' for the both of us, Best wishes, Bobby Robson''

Usually hate these sort of videos but this one is really well made. Evident how much he loved Newcastle, sorely missed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jabfcBuWTOQ

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So what happened to the real Barcelona side then?

AC Milan 2-0 Barcelona

Goals from former Pompey players Boateng & Muntari.

Barca played like Man City in the 2nd half - ie. v.poor :eek:

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Watching Everton-Wigan in the FAC 6th round - I must be going soft - I actually want Everton to win!

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sir Bobby Robson would have been 80 today. Truly one of my heroes, a great football manager and an absolute gent. One of my most prized possessions is a signed match programme from his first Newcastle home game (which also happened to be the first time I'd been to a live game), it says ''Dear onemorechance, First game at St James' for the both of us, Best wishes, Bobby Robson''

Usually hate these sort of videos but this one is really well made. Evident how much he loved Newcastle, sorely missed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jabfcBuWTOQ

Great manager.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But 2 goals in 75 seconds and Wigan lead 2-0....make that 3 in 4 minutes...Everton look dead.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Everton need a good kicking and I would put my special shoes on to do just that. A very unhappy blue here, they were all awful and I wouldn't even blame the goalie as he had no help at all.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think Howard would have done better on the first goal but the 2nd was down to Neville and the 3rd was just a great finish. Funny team, Wigan. They played well today but Everton just never got going at all.

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
BTW, there are at least a couple of other misguided people like you here in CC :)) jk) - Everton fans that is - Jagsti and Colbefc....both of whom me and Debi (Dakota-xx) had the pleasure of meeting in Liverpool about 3 weeks ago!

Last edited:
S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wigan is the most likeable dis-likeable team on the planet.