*** Official F1 2014 thread ***

Abedin120

Abedin120

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
That will be interesting, but what will be with Felipe Massa. Will he go to some other team or what?

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is what Massa said when he announced he was leaving Ferrari: "For next year, I want to find a team that can give me a competitive car to win many more races and challenge for the championship which remains my greatest objective."

Dunno what options that leaves for him though. Red Bull is obviously out, and I'd be surprised to see a change at McLaren. Lotus is a possibility with Kimi's seat now vacant, but apparently Hulkenberg is well in the running for that spot too. Sauber is the other possibility.

I dunno if he'd want to drive for any team further down the grid than that, and most of those teams need drivers to bring a heap of sponsorship dollars with them anyway. Lotus, Sauber or out of F1 seem to be the most likely outcomes.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lap 3 and it's already the best race of the year.

Rain's a comming.

-

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
New pole position trophy up for grabs in 2014 12 Dec 2013

Qualifying will take on an even greater importance in 2014 thanks to the introduction of a new trophy that will be awarded to the driver who scores the most pole positions during the season.

In the event of a tie, the trophy will be awarded to the driver who holds the greatest number of second places. If there is still a tie, the greatest number of third places will be taken into account and so on until a winner emerges.

If such a trophy had been in place in 2013, Red Bull’s Sebastian Vettel would have been the clear victor having taken nine pole positions to Lewis Hamilton’s five.

The pole position trophy is one of several additions to the latest version of F1’s 2014 sporting regulations. Also included was a new article that gives race stewards the power to impose penalty points on a driver’s super licence. If a driver accrues 12 penalty points his licence will be suspended for one race, after which the points will be removed from his licence. Penalty points will remain on a driver’s super licence for a period of 12 months after which they will be removed.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes but they have both spent time at Maclaren so should have experience of it.

Neither of them had a particularly good time there though - McLaren wasn't a good fit for either of them (especially Alonso).

For the most part, it seems to me like Kimi returned to F1 for the squillions of dollars and to have some fun. Of all the world champions in recent memory, he strikes me as being the one who cares the least about getting a second title. If that turns out to be the case, and he's happy to collect a massive paycheck while letting Alonso do all the hard work of actually going after the title, then this might work.

If he actually wants to go hard after the title though, then there's going to be tears...

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2014 Changes

Engine - it’s out with 2.4-litre normally-aspirated V8 engines and in with 1.6-litre V6 turbo engines, revving to a maximum of 15,000rpm. The current engines produce more than 750bhp, whilst the 2014 units will produce around 600bhp with additional power coming from Energy Recovery Systems (see below).

Gearbox - gearboxes are to have eight forward ratios - rather than the current seven - which each team must nominate ahead of the season.

Energy Recovery Systems (ERS) - in 2014, a larger proportion of each car’s power will come from ERS which, together with the engine, make up the powertrain or power unit. As well as generating energy under braking, ERS units will also generate power using waste heat from the engine’s turbocharger. Unlike the current KERS - which give drivers an extra 80bhp for six seconds per lap - the 2014 ERS will give drivers around 160bhp for 33 seconds per lap. To compensate for the extra power being generated under braking by ERS, teams will be allowed to use an electronic rear brake control system.

Fuel - to promote fuel efficiency, fuel will be limited to 100kg per race. At the moment fuel is unlimited, but teams typically use around 160kg per race.

Minimum weight - to compensate for the increased weight of the 2014 powertrain, minimum weight has been increased from the current 642kg to 690kg.

Exhaust - unlike today where two exhaust tailpipes are used, the 2014 regulations mandate the use of a single tailpipe which must be angled upwards to prevent the exhaust flow being used for aerodynamic effect. Additionally, bodywork is not allowed to be placed behind the tailpipe.

Nose height - for safety reasons the height of noses will be reduced in 2014. The maximum height is currently 550mm, whereas next year it’s 185mm.

Front wing - front wings will be a little narrower next year with the width reduced from 1800mm to 1650mm.

Rear wing - the rear wing will also look a little different in 2014 compared to this year’s models. The lower beam wing is being outlawed and the main flap will be slightly shallower in profile.

-

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cars are gonna be ugly this year. Call it the year of the Platypus.

-

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'll reserve judgement until we actually see them - everybody said the cars were gonna look ugly when they went to narrow rear wings, super-wide front wings and stripped off all the other aero parts too but once you got used to them, they actually looked better IMO. Plus there were plenty of ugly cars in the past few years with the stepped noses and everything.

New gearbox rule is an interesting one: does "eight forward ratios, nominated ahead of the season" mean that they only get one set of ratios for the entire season, and they can't change them depending on which track they're going to next?

If so I'm guessing most teams will still effectively be running a seven-speed gearbox for most of next season, because they'll want a long eight gear for tracks like Monza and Spa but it'll be utterly impractical at places like Monaco. So if they're fixed for the whole season, chances are they just don't get out of seventh gear on the slower tracks.

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cars are gonna be ugly this year. Call it the year of the Platypus.

-

This year's car is already ugly comparing to cars of 90's...eg. rear wing is much smaller. But I don't mind, Vettel will win in any car. :p

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hope red bull build an uncompetitive car, it would be nice to see Vettel have to work for his money.

Neither of them had a particularly good time there though - McLaren wasn't a good fit for either of them (especially Alonso).

For the most part, it seems to me like Kimi returned to F1 for the squillions of dollars and to have some fun. Of all the world champions in recent memory, he strikes me as being the one who cares the least about getting a second title. If that turns out to be the case, and he's happy to collect a massive paycheck while letting Alonso do all the hard work of actually going after the title, then this might work.

If he actually wants to go hard after the title though, then there's going to be tears...

We hope there's tears,
but good point about Raikonen's current attitude, although a close run with Jenson Button for least caring about the 2nd title, but both were resigned to not having a competitive package around them, it might be different when there is a chance.

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Couldn't stand him as a driver, but I pray that MS pulls through his critical condition following his ski accident.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Couldn't stand him as a driver, but I pray that MS pulls through his critical condition following his ski accident.
OMG. Noooooo... Not The Stig.

Prayers going out. :adore:

-

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah, that sounds huge.

First I've heard about it, but my gut feeling is Bernie will survive it - he always does. Anyone else but him and I could absolutely see it being the end of them. But right there in the article Christian Horner is already going in to bat for Bernie. If they look to oust him, at the very least there'll be strong resistance...

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The new Williams

tumblr_mzux48ZLiE1soxtj3o1_1280.png

-

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The new Lotus
tumblr_mzx4kwShDx1soxtj3o1_500.png

The Renault-powered E22, which will not run until the second pre-season test of the year in early February features an unusual asymmetric split-nose design which is a big departure from any of those seen on other 2014 cars so far.

-

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fernando Alonso and Kimi Raikkonen are gonna have a blast.

That Ferrari is gorgeous. But it's a Ferrari, what did I expect?

-

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I know I'll get used to them quick enough but... ugh, those noses. Those horrible, horrible noses.

I reckon the Sauber is the best looking one revealed so far.