*** Official F1 2014 thread ***

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
So Monaco raised some interesting questions, like: who's the biggest, most dangerous toolbox on the track this season? Perez, or Grosjean? :p

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I watch F1 but I think it's very bad that result mainly depends on tyre and strategy. Vettel does very well (and so does his car), I think no1 can stop him this year. :)

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Webber announces Formula One exit 27 Jun 2013

Red Bull’s Mark Webber has announced that he will leave Formula One racing at the end of this season and join Porsche’s new sportscar programme in the World Endurance Championship and Le Mans 24 Hours.

Webber made his F1 debut in 2002 with Minardi and has been with Red Bull since 2007, winning nine Grands Prix for the reigning world champions. The Australian’s departure means the team must now find a new 2014 partner for Sebastian Vettel.

“It’s an honour for me to join Porsche at its return to the top category in Le Mans and in the sports car World Endurance Championship and be part of the team,” said Webber. “Porsche has written racing history as a manufacturer and stands for outstanding technology and performance at the highest level.

“I’m very much looking forward to this new challenge after my time in Formula One. Porsche will undoubtedly set itself very high goals. I can hardly wait to pilot one of the fastest sports cars in the world.”

Webber, 36, will join former Red Bull development driver Neel Jani at Porsche’s LMP1 team, along with Timo Bernhard and Romain Dumas. He is no stranger to sportscar racing, having previously competed for Mercedes in 1998-9.

Paying tribute to Webber's time with Red Bull, team principal Christian Horner commented:“I am sure Mark thought long and hard before making what has no doubt been a very difficult decision. His achievements in Formula One are extensive and I am sure he will continue to push hard and build on that record until the end of the season. We support Mark’s decision, he has been an excellent addition to the team since joining us in 2007 and we wish him all the best in the next stages of his career.”

Rumours of Webber’s F1 departure have been widespread for some time, in particular since March’s Malaysian Grand Prix where Vettel defied Red Bull team orders and passed him for the lead before going on to win the race.

Thursday’s announcement will only heighten speculation about Webber’s replacement. Although reports have repeatedly linked Lotus’s Kimi Raikkonen to the seat, Red Bull already have several potential candidates on their books, including racers at sister team Toro Rosso, Daniel Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne.

Red Bull say a decision will not be made until later in the season.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Perfect fit for him. He just extended his career another 10-15 years.

-

spsb83

spsb83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
great driver and ambassador for the sport, did excellent work for the drivers association and drivers union, be sadly missed in formula one but think its a good move for him.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Obviously sad to see the most successful Australian to drive in F1 in decades leave, but as others have said it's probably a good fit for him and I'm sure he'll be successful.

Guess I'll put my dreams of seeing an Aussie drive for the Scuderia off for a while longer then... :p

Abedin120

Abedin120

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
This week is the British Grand Prix (Silverstone) , so I think that Fernando Alonso will not have really good chance against Sebastian Vettel. For my opinion Vettel will win on Sunday.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He ain't doing so well in practice 1 and 2.

-

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pirelli wins at Silverstone

-

Abedin120

Abedin120

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
You had right about Sebastian Vettel, JusSumguy, I really think that he will win this race, but maybe you saw what happened. However it was good for Fernando Alonso who finished 3rd and get 15 points :)

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
F1 drivers warn they could boycott German Grand Prix after Pirelli tyre chaos at Silverstone

Formula One drivers have threatened to boycott this weekend's German Grand Prix if the Pirelli tyre problem resurfaces.

The Grand Prix Drivers' Association issued the warning in the wake of Sunday's British Grand Prix, where a number of spectacular blowouts overshadowed the race .

Tyre supplier Pirelli has quickly responded, introducing a two-fold plan to address the crisis that took place at Silverstone.

For this weekend, the belt on the rear tyres is now made of Kevlar - a high-strength synthetic fibre which is more resistant to punctures - as opposed to the steel that was previously used.

Significantly, from the Hungarian Grand Prix onwards, the tyres will change again, comprising 2012 construction with 2013 compounds.

Earlier today, in the paddock at the Nurburgring, the message from the drivers was predominantly positive, with many praising Pirelli for the speed of their response.

But following a meeting today of the GPDA - chaired by Pedro de la Rosa and with Sebastian Vettel and Jenson Button as directors - it has now emerged the drivers are more than willing to not drive should there be a repeat of the scenes witnessed four days ago.

F1 drivers warn they could boycott German Grand Prix after Pirelli tyre chaos at Silverstone

"If similar problems should manifest themselves, we shall immediately withdraw from the event" say stars' 'union'

Sick and tyred: F1 stars won't abide a repeat of Silverstone

Formula One drivers have threatened to boycott this weekend's German Grand Prix if the Pirelli tyre problem resurfaces.

The Grand Prix Drivers' Association issued the warning in the wake of Sunday's British Grand Prix, where a number of spectacular blowouts overshadowed the race .

Tyre supplier Pirelli has quickly responded, introducing a two-fold plan to address the crisis that took place at Silverstone.

For this weekend, the belt on the rear tyres is now made of Kevlar - a high-strength synthetic fibre which is more resistant to punctures - as opposed to the steel that was previously used.

Significantly, from the Hungarian Grand Prix onwards, the tyres will change again, comprising 2012 construction with 2013 compounds.

-

Last edited:
XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was curious about:
why not use total rubber tire instead of rubber and air tire
since the racing rail is very smooth....

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, I found the Pirelli response to the Silverstone blowouts very interesting. While they're saying that they'll change the tyre designs to prevent this happening again, they also said that misuse of the tyres by the teams payed a huge role. In particular, they say the teams were:

- Using the tyres on the wrong sides of the car. Apparently this year's tyres (up to this point) have been designed asymetrically with a thicker sidewall on one side or something, so the left rear has to go on the left, but some teams were switching them over, for whatever reason.

- Running the cars with much higher camber angles than the tyres are rated for.

- Running the tyres at much lower pressures than they're rated for.

Interesting that's been lost in the noise...

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Qualifying result:
1. Hamilton 2 Vettel 3 Webber
Alonso took the 8th place only so it will be difficult for him to get in top 3.
Go Vettel go!!!!!!! :p

Abedin120

Abedin120

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Vettel win on today German Grand Prix and got another 25 points. Alonso didn't have very good chances to win or to get in the top 3 because like you know he was 8th on the qualifications. However, he drove very good and finished on 4th place.
Next race is for the Hungarian Grand Prix in Budapest on 26,27,28 July.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Meh... I'm getting tired of the tires, and tire choice, being the star of the show. I really miss the old days of fighting for what you got. Giles... we need you and Alain, and Fangio... with your head sticking out a foot higher than what they called a roll bar, to come show them how it's done again. I'm really not interested in idolizing sissy men. But I will take a knee to a real man. And that there is what sports is all about. Heck, I get more excitement from Curling nowadays.

No more pit stops. Enough gas and tire to make it a race. I'm interested in the drivers ability much more than the engineers ability. I enjoy the advancements for sure... mid week. Gimme racing drivers (man's ability) on Sunday.

Poor Romain Grosjean.

-

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dunno, I'm very much from the school that enjoys the strategy as well as the racing - I thought it was a sad day when they got rid of in-race refuelling.

I think this season's tires have probably gone a step too far, introducing a VERY artificial element to the strategy, but if we got rid of tyre changes entirely I think the racing would suffer - both from the lack of strategy, and from the cars inevitably having to go slower.

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
From ESPN

Two-horse race for Red Bull seat

Red Bull team principal Christian Horner says it is "essentially" a two-horse race between Kimi Raikkonen and Daniel Ricciardo to replace Mark Webber.
Following Webber's decision to retire at the end of the season, Horner said at the British Grand Prix the shortlist to join Sebastian Vettel at Red Bull in 2014 consisted of Raikkonen, Ricciardo and Jean-Eric Vergne. However, with Red Bull deciding to test Ricciardo at Silverstone this week, when asked if that meant it was a straight choice between two drivers and that Vergne is out of the running Horner replied: "Essentially, probably.

"Obviously there's a great deal of interest in the seat but we will be looking to make some decisions later in the summer," he told Sky Sports News. "It's an opportunity here for us to have a look at Daniel, for him to do some of the tyre testing work for us in an RBR car and it's a great opportunity for him.
"I don't think [he's shown potential] just since Mark's announcement, but of course you've got to look at what these guys have at their disposal. For sure both Jean-Eric and Daniel are very quick drivers and we've got an opportunity to have a closer look at Daniel which is why we've chosen to exercise that and then get him in the car tomorrow."

Despite ruling out Vergne, Horner would not be drawn on whether Ricciardo was Red Bull's back-up plan if it failed to sign Raikkonen.
"The situation between the drivers is obviously going to be confidential between the team and those drivers. Kimi's track record speaks for itself; he's a championship contender as we speak. He pushed Sebastian very hard at the last grand prix and we're in a fortunate position where not only are we attracting fantastic drivers like Kimi, we've also got the opportunity to look at the youngsters we've been nurturing in the likes of Daniel."

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
meh ricciardo would just be a number 2 driver and Raikonnen would get as frustrated as Webber did.
Why not spice it up and offer it to Alonso.

@jusu&oz too many rules and too much safety now.
We need a new formula that just says spend what you like, hire anyone with enough balls to get in and drive.
- Make the best car you can just make sure it fits a 2m by 5m box, it can be as tall as you like and weigh what you like (and so can the driver).
- Use whatever tyres and strategy you like just complete 70 laps as fast as possible without collision.

Any teams, tracks, sponsors, partners interested in my FormulaUnlimited can contact me to get FU launched. It's sure to be a winning formula.

-----
edit: just noticed FU rule 'without collision' probably rules vettel out.

Last edited:
AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hungarian GP starts this weekend. It will be a very hot race. On Sunday, 38C max (!!!!) temperature is expected.
The qualification will be very important since it's very hard to overtake on this circuit.

http://www.hungaroring.hu/?lang=en

Go Vettel Gooo! :)

JusSumguy

JusSumguy

Chipmonger
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
meh ricciardo would just be a number 2 driver and Raikonnen would get as frustrated as Webber did.
Why not spice it up and offer it to Alonso.

@jusu&oz too many rules and too much safety now.
We need a new formula that just says spend what you like, hire anyone with enough balls to get in and drive.
- Make the best car you can just make sure it fits a 2m by 5m box, it can be as tall as you like and weigh what you like (and so can the driver).
- Use whatever tyres and strategy you like just complete 70 laps as fast as possible without collision.

Any teams, tracks, sponsors, partners interested in my FormulaUnlimited can contact me to get FU launched. It's sure to be a winning formula.

-----
edit: just noticed FU rule 'without collision' probably rules vettel out.
That's what F1 used to be. Got too expensive. Then came the completely over the top 6 wheel Elf car. That's when the regulations started. Leading to today's parades.

If they could field enough cars that way, I'm for it. Don't think a lot of the teams could afford the mega money to do that though.

S5032962-1.jpg

-

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yup, those were the days,
full of innovation and ideas.
3 monster wheels, verses 10 mini wheels, who cares, let them try it.
2m by 5m box and no jet or rocket emissions is rules enough.

When will they put kinetic energy recovery systems on electric bikes, so you can recover all the energy from going down hills to help get back up them again?
Was thinking about getting one till I read that they don't work up hills. And that's all I wanted it for, so what's the point of them?

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hungarian GP qualification:

1. Hamilton
2. Vettel
3. Grosjean
4. Rosberg
5. Alonso
6. Raikonnen

Very good qualification for Vettel. Alonso and Raikonnen are both behind him. He just has to overtake Hamilton and his (race)-weak Mercedes. :p

hakalas

hakalas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey,

i'm from hungary, tomorrow, start the race ON Mogyoród,
GL hamilton :) i'll be there :)