Building from a baby bankroll

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good article. I find the hardest thing for me is sticking to one rebuy especially when late registration is just about to end.

R

rulist1

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a very important question. In a micro-stakes 6 max cash game (0.01/0.02), what should you do with AJo assuming everyone is playing 50BB deep (taking all positions into consideration)?

AcooltartA

AcooltartA

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great advice! It is extremely hard building a bankroll from nothing. I'm currently doing a bankroll challenge on my Twitch channel. Starting with just freerolls and navigating through the mine fields is hella frustrating. But steady the course and it will pay off. So lets say you start at $0, at what point do you recommend jumping into the cash games?

R

roseoflife

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
But a donkey really ate my bankroll! ;)

On a more serious note, great post and one I would enjoy reading over and over again even if I have reached the upper echelons of poker; which would probably be never.

In poker if u can fold a big hand you are no longer a newbies. U have QQ u raised preflop someone reraise you preflop. U called . Flop u see AK3. Your opponent reraise your bet again . Obsviously ur chance of winning is low . Many people just cant fold big hand .

G

gap22nit

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
nice post, i hope learn create my bankroll! :)

W

we will rock you

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
is 500 dollars too little to have as a starting bankroll or should i start with a 1,000

swannymojo

swannymojo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On a bankroll management note, one thing that has revolutionized my live game is to log my poker winnings/losses/hours played etc. when you can visually see your profitability its easier for me to play better longer instead of taking unnecessary risks with my bankroll.

A

Aurel Bican

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
On a bankroll management note, one thing that has revolutionized my live game is to log my poker winnings/losses/hours played etc. when you can visually see your profitability its easier for me to play better longer instead of taking unnecessary risks with my bankroll.
I like to learn how to play from the beginningIMG 20180605 000514

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
is 500 dollars too little to have as a starting bankroll or should i start with a 1,000

Depends on the stakes you're playing: $500 is absolutely fine if you're playing low stakes online (say $5NL or $10NL).

L

lantz123

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
great post solid information thanks for post great reading

J

jaggafrig

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes this is my ? and struggle I get some cash rolling from a couple of freerolls and end up losing it

T

TEIS22

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea it's hard but you gotta keep pushing through if you really wanna build a bankroll off freerolls. If you dont wanna go through the struggle then juss put up the minimum buy in and play in low stakes but dont give up on the freerolls. Nothing is better then free money to play and build off of

M

Maitresse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you very much for all the info in the introductory post of this thread. It was really helpful for me because recently I've been trying to figure this out. Earlier this year I made some money freerolling, but I cashed most of it out to avoid losing it. The MMT advice was the best for me, I had not considered their efficiency before.

Jdjakubisin

Jdjakubisin

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great points.

I especially relate to avoiding complacency by switching up a game or two (texas for omaha, etc...).

You do, as the original post states, want to be able to focus on one game and not switch, but keep your mind and your natural analytic sharp and fresh by playing a little PLO or whatever.

Thats just what I say. I have a bankroll challenge I am about to start myself I'll be posting about.

swannymojo

swannymojo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have managed to build a couple of BRs on a few sites without depositing. My current FT roll was started from winning freerolls and using that money to play STTs until I moved to cash and started to actually make money lol.

Helped out a lot by the take 2 bonus, which was so easy to get, I think it was probably one that was exempt from Oz's rules. But all in all I pretty much followed the same guidelines, got a bit lucky and it worked a treat. My roll is currently 200-300 depending on whether I decide to play good or not.

Great guide Oz anyone in a similar situation should read this daily :).

How long did it take for you to build a bankroll via free rolls? I feel like building a bankrooll would be a great/ideal way to make money playing poker since it'd force you to 'baby' your roll instead of taking large and unnecessary shots to make money fast at poker. Trying to do that right now...such. a. slow. process.

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm building a bankroll from 'nothing/zero' and I'm already $8.37

Most of the tournaments I play are freerolls but I've played some SNGs.
I played 6x SNG Turbo 9p and currently am a profit of +$3.25
1x in first place
1x in second place
2x in third place
2x without prizes

I also played 2x SNG 360p and profit of +$0.07
1x in 22º place
1x without prizes

J

JeremyDCowan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Adding kids to the mix, and this is MY LIFE. I'm still trying though!

Great post, I do alot you talk about. I won a couple of freerolls over a 2 week period (55.00). I deciced to use patience and play the cash tables, but only .02/.04 blinds until I was able to build to 100.00, then I moved to the .05/.10 cash tables and so on. I do not play MTT tournaments unless the buy-in is 2% or less of my bankroll. It is a slow climb, but I have been able to make withdrawls without ever depositing. Here is some of my rules when playing,
1. Wife can not be around (she will bug the crap out of me)
2. T.V. must be turned off
3. Dog must be taken out prior to playing so I dont have to do it later
4. Cell phone turned to silence

With all these distractions out of the way, I have been able to play alot better and consistant.

NinjaHands

NinjaHands

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Adding kids to the mix, and this is MY LIFE. I'm still trying though!

How do you do private time? I'm interested as a pre-kids bachelor currently about to propose. I'm just not sure what to do, set rules or boundaries? That will fly out the window I reckon, once the kids arrive (assuming that happens).

Do you just Ninja it, sneaky style, whenever you can, or do you have some kind of schedule?

J

JeremyDCowan

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker Marriage

Does the other person know you play poker? Is it a pretty big deal for you, or do you just play occasionally? I LOVE poker, and enjoy it tremendously. It's more of a stress reliever for me, and my wife knows that. I have struggled with time management though, and am working through that. Once kids are involved...I would most definitely recommend playing in the evening when they are sleeping/at school/ANYWHERE else . Also, give you SIG OTHER time....and more time then you give poker. If you don't, its not going to end well.

M

Mc_Terp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm building a bankroll from 'nothing/zero' and I'm already $8.37

Most of the tournaments I play are freerolls but I've played some SNGs.
I played 6x SNG Turbo 9p and currently am a profit of +$3.25
1x in first place
1x in second place
2x in third place
2x without prizes

I also played 2x SNG 360p and profit of +$0.07
1x in 22º place
1x without prizes
Nice what site is this on? I’ve been playing on acr but I think I might try BetOnline too and see how that goes!

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice what site is this on? I’ve been playing on acr but I think I might try BetOnline too and see how that goes!

Thank you, Mc_Terp! I play at Pokerstars.

It's possible to build a bankroll without depositing money, but for this you need to invest a lot in self-control and avoid tilt at all costs!

D

downsauce

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have managed to build a couple of BRs on a few sites without depositing. My current FT roll was started from winning freerolls and using that money to play STTs until I moved to cash and started to actually make money lol.

that is pretty cool, i'm trying to do the same thing, just starting out. is there any decent youtube videos about bankroll building from freerolls?:jd4:

M

mhy196

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the post

Thanks man, your post is very informative indeed , I got a little freeroll cash myself , I will follow your advice.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management