Building from a baby bankroll

T

Top Top

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really appreciate all advises in this post and especially the "Stick to one game"

OmarRD7

OmarRD7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Man! You answered my question even I made it. Thanks!

The better advice from you to me is "not to play MTT even it's your better game" because... It actually it's my best play with better profits.

I always end to loose all my bankroll, reading your post, I think it is because I thought that I must find that "lucky bullet" that save my bankroll, and it was always MTT.

I have made from nothing 80$ of bankroll but ALWAYS I ended losing all my bankroll ��

So, I'm going to start in the level

0.02/0.05$ with a 25$ bankroll in fastfoward 6 max tables. It is my better game. Is it correct or I made a mistake? It's better to start in a lower stake like 0,01/0,02$ with a 10$ bankroll?

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Man! You answered my question even I made it. Thanks!

The better advice from you to me is "not to play MTT even it's your better game" because... It actually it's my best play with better profits.

I always end to loose all my bankroll, reading your post, I think it is because I thought that I must find that "lucky bullet" that save my bankroll, and it was always MTT.

I have made from nothing 80$ of bankroll but ALWAYS I ended losing all my bankroll ��

So, I'm going to start in the level

0.02/0.05$ with a 25$ bankroll in fastfoward 6 max tables. It is my better game. Is it correct or I made a mistake? It's better to start in a lower stake like 0,01/0,02$ with a 10$ bankroll?

$25 is not enough for 5nl it isn't even enough for 2nl. You need $40+ for 2nl

EDIT: I see where you got the idea for playing 2nl with $10, and I am sorry to say that is terrible advice... You need 20x the BI for all levels that you play if you wish to play seriously and improve your game. If you are are only playing for fun and don't mind gambling then by all means use the 5x BI which was suggested by lifesagamble99

Last edited:
OmarRD7

OmarRD7

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$25 is not enough for 5nl it isn't even enough for 2nl. You need $40+ for 2nl

EDIT: I see where you got the idea for playing 2nl with $10, and I am sorry to say that is terrible advice... You need 20x the BI for all levels that you play if you wish to play seriously and improve your game. If you are are only playing for fun and don't mind gambling then by all means use the 5x BI which was suggested by lifesagamble99
Wow! Thanks a lot for save me from myself.

Is that the case just for cash games only no? What about SnG?

For example:

-0.5$ buy-in x20 = 10$
-0.40$ BI x20 = 8$

-0.25$ BI x20= 5$

Is this right no? Excuse me if I'm missing something obvious... I'm just beginning, but I'm aiming to be profitable long-term player because I love poker as discipline profits wining... Just that... I'm still needing a lot of experience. So any advice is welcome!

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
No the 20x is just for cash games, so 2nl is 2x20 = $40. 5nl is 5x20 = $100.

STT (single table) you only need 40x the Buy in so if it's $1x40 = $40.

With $25 I would play the $0.25 45man and use a 100x which = $25.

Hope that helps.

Manjerica1

Manjerica1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I started to play poker a few months ago and want to improve and my main mistake is to not have a strict bankroll, nice post thanks for the help

pepsilv

pepsilv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
good stuff to be reading, it helps a lot if time is put to do the things rite, there is always rite way of doing things.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you stick to a banroll budget then you will never play scared money !

Good luck !

I

Izazul

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That was an extremely useful post, thank you !!! Hahah wife can't be around lol

C

cbrig6

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you oz i found this very inciteful and will try to take it to heart. My cash game seems weak but i love playing for straight cash. where as i dont always enjoy a 3 hour tourny grind but i seem to get in the top 50 rather often which still sucks but im just learning.

Maikychan

Maikychan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This article was very good, congratulations for devoting your time to writing it! Discipline is the most important part of building a bankroll from scratch.

H

have

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
thank you

very good advice .slow and steady is helping me. but a lot of games i play have a lot of donkeys eating everything up .so it hard too weed them out . but im still grinding see you at the tables and thank you for good info havefunAA.:D

AlexPedsPaps

AlexPedsPaps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does the increased rake make it harder than ever to grow your baby bankroll?

V

voker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the key is discipline. Taking risk is essential to grow bankroll, but carelessly doing so might hurt it badly and quickly.

NinjaHands

NinjaHands

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is good advice, thanks for the post!! im going back to reading for a bit, I cant even play cardschat freerolls. the restrictions are a little crazy. I need the freerolls to build. so far I have 75c o acr, gotta build!!!!

There are weekly tournaments for all members... not sure what you're on about.

I'm a huge fan of this thread. Though I don't think playing MTTs is bad even for beginners, as long as they aren't too large and you're not playing them often.

But the advice to really stick to a game type and master it is probably the greatest advice I've heard.
Obviously Cash games are the best overall, but so much is required to be successful there mentally/skill-wise (BRM, odds calculation, etc.).

inflmara

inflmara

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the advice
I was trying to do MTT a lot, but I will give a shot at SnG

Miketheman190

Miketheman190

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only play when you are playing near youre best

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There are some pro players that cant manage their bankroll in good way. This forum is à good place if you Want to learne how to manage your bankroll ,where to play. .. and good luck to everyone

PiStealth

PiStealth

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great tips. But what will happen when I get bored playing the same thing again and again? I'll lose money probably. This is leak that cannot be fixed.
P.P. People prefer physical pain over boredom. That was proven and I'm the same. Maybe I'll start punching myself in the face xD

E

EvgenyRed

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Impressive post

Wow, even considering that it was written ten years ago, I learnt a lot from it, so thank you!
I just couldn't understand very well regarding the bankroll management part. Assuming that I want to start playing let lowest $0.01/$0.02 SnG, how much cash should I ideally have?

I am planning on playing some freerolls until I manage to get to the amount and then switch to SnG.

mathtree

mathtree

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is what I read

Wow, even considering that it was written ten years ago, I learnt a lot from it, so thank you!
I just couldn't understand very well regarding the bankroll management part. Assuming that I want to start playing let lowest $0.01/$0.02 SnG, how much cash should I ideally have?

I am planning on playing some freerolls until I manage to get to the amount and then switch to SnG.

I read in several books by pros you should have at least 500 big blind to start in a cash game to allow for variance, downturns,etc if you don't want to go broke. So $50 to start in a .05/.10 game.

M

Martinb122

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Love this

This outlines everything Im doing wrong haha. But im learning from posts like this. Im watching youtube videos for tips and they are helping but I still find myself struggling to build a bankroll. Ill try the one game and stick to it rule for now and see if this helps.

PackinPat

PackinPat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great post, I do alot you talk about. I won a couple of freerolls over a 2 week period (55.00). I deciced to use patience and play the cash tables, but only .02/.04 blinds until I was able to build to 100.00, then I moved to the .05/.10 cash tables and so on. I do not play MTT tournaments unless the buy-in is 2% or less of my bankroll. It is a slow climb, but I have been able to make withdrawls without ever depositing. Here is some of my rules when playing,
1. Wife can not be around (she will bug the crap out of me)
2. T.V. must be turned off
3. Dog must be taken out prior to playing so I dont have to do it later
4. Cell phone turned to silence

With all these distractions out of the way, I have been able to play alot better and consistant.

In short you must be able to concentrate, "be the game" No interruptions. This is when I play my best and seem to get "lucky"

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management