Are you ready for some baseball 2015?

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just want to say, for those who are Rays fans, you have a really solid young player there in Steven Souza. I picked him up off waivers (went undrafted in my fantasy league) and he's paid huge dividends for me.

Almost reminds me of getting Josh Donaldson off waivers last year when he was with Oakland. I'm in a keeper league (get to keep 10 players from your previous year's roster) and Donaldson was an auto keeper especially considering that he is now in the best hitters park in baseball.

My pitching is pretty stacked, even despite losing Darvish for the season. Here's my current roster. (12 team league, everybody is pretty savvy and always looking for prospects).

C - Russell Martin
1B - Brock Holt (also eligible at 2B, 3B, SS, and OF), Brandon Moss (just picked him up off waivers - also OF eligible)
2B - Robinson Cano, Micah Johnson
SS - Hechavarria (picked him up off waivers too), Danny Santana (also OF eligible)
3B - Donaldson, Jake Lamb (on the 15 Day DL) but also a highly touted young player who, before going on the DL, was hitting pretty well
OF - Starling Marte (off to hot start), Steven Souza, Dexter Fowler, Brantley (off to a bad start so far - need him to start hitting), Carl Crawford (for his stolen bases), Alex Guerrero (took a flier on him - a good prospect)
Other - Joey Gallo (a young prospect, hasn't played yet).

SP - Tyson Ross, Lance Lynn, Corey Kluber, James Shields, Chris Archer, Marcus Stroman (because you can keep 10 players a year, I picked him up off waivers, and used one of my DL spots on him - I still yet may drop him but he's highly touted and pitched very well last year for the Jays)
RP (there are saves and holds in this league) - Huston Street, Zach Britton, Darren O'Day, Adam Ottavino (picked him up off waivers the moment Colorado's regular closer, LaTroy Hawkins had a bad game), JP Howell

I'm in 3rd place so far (out of 12). I finished 2nd last year, primarily on the strength of picking up guys like Kluber, Ross, and Donaldson off waivers. I was sitting near the bottom close to the halfway point of last year, and alongside those waiver pickups, combine it with a couple of trades, my team went on a tear.

My keepers from above were:
Martin
Donaldson
Cano
Marte
Brantley
Santana
Kluber
Ross
Shields
Lynn

Anybody else here in any fantasy pools?

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good looking team there - how often does a future Cy Young winner get picked up on waivers the same season i wonder :D

BeatLA - Go Giants

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good looking team there - how often does a future Cy Young winner get picked up on waivers the same season i wonder :D

BeatLA - Go Giants

Who are you referring to? Kluber?

Yeah, I feel like I drafted quite well though in a 10 team keeper league, once the keepers were assigned, the first overall pick was, to nobody's surprise, Kris Bryant. He has a ton of potential and should be a star with the Cubs for a long time.

jedimindpicks

jedimindpicks

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sweepers out in Boston tonight.

woohoo sue

woohoo sue

Brings Laughter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
souza went cooler on us shum.....hope we see him pick back up the pace!

watching a replay of last nights game with Boston right now....boys batted good for me last night.

welcome to the rays....Joey Butler! first Big league HR

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Red Sox are looking really bad... thought they bought some talent in the offseason?

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Have just been watching the Yankees vs the Jays, getting tired tho so will have to stop watching or get another bad head for tomorrow. Yankees were winning 2 - 0 GO YANKEES!!!!

woohoo sue

woohoo sue

Brings Laughter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
man I thought our losing streak was gonna go on forever.....Come on Rays.....Make today the norm!

zjohnzzz

zjohnzzz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
shaping up to be a very interesting season

woohoo sue

woohoo sue

Brings Laughter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
who has Stanton on their fantasy team? OUCHEY!

Rays have been in a battle for first alll month......

KEEP FIGHTING BOYS!

as much as I hate ELmores defence of first base I do love his bat!

We get Moore back on Thursday! who's got more? RAYS GOT MOORE!

V

vic75

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The American League East best division in baseball so far this year in terms of winning percentage the Jays got a solid chance of post season play almost half way through the season at 45.5%. No injuries and get Sanchez back in the starting rotation :icon_blac

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Detriot Tigers

yah what's happening to the Tigers, while Verlander is hurt:smile:

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

He hasn't been the same since he signed his big contract - just saying ;)

Giants at it again - Beat LA :party: then follow home losses to Colorado & San Diego :mad:

zjohnzzz

zjohnzzz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
same story as last year for tigers, pitching not there

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

He hasn't been the same since he signed his big contract - just saying ;)

Giants at it again - Beat LA :party: then follow home losses to Colorado & San Diego :mad:

As a fan of baseball history, it's unfortunate to see what's happening to Verlander. He was on a Hall of Fame trajectory the way he was dominating. Through 2012, he certainly was probably the best pitcher in baseball, but has run into some injuries since then and has barely pitched this year, and he's already 32. He's at 152 wins now, and would need to average 18 wins a year for 8 years (for example) to reach 300, which is a bit of a reach given that excluding this season, only won 18+ games in 4 of his previous 9 seasons.

He's certainly had a really good career so far, but I think when it's all said and done, he's probably at best, a borderline hall of fame candidate. He's in the "accumulation" stage of his career, in that he's no longer in his prime and needs to compile more decent numbers to be that kind of candidate. If the worst case scenario occurs and he's done, he won't get voted in in that he wasn't great for a long enough period of time.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As a fan of baseball history, it's unfortunate to see what's happening to Verlander. He was on a Hall of Fame trajectory the way he was dominating. Through 2012, he certainly was probably the best pitcher in baseball, but has run into some injuries since then and has barely pitched this year, and he's already 32. He's at 152 wins now, and would need to average 18 wins a year for 8 years (for example) to reach 300, which is a bit of a reach given that excluding this season, only won 18+ games in 4 of his previous 9 seasons.

He's certainly had a really good career so far, but I think when it's all said and done, he's probably at best, a borderline hall of fame candidate. He's in the "accumulation" stage of his career, in that he's no longer in his prime and needs to compile more decent numbers to be that kind of candidate. If the worst case scenario occurs and he's done, he won't get voted in in that he wasn't great for a long enough period of time.

He does still have the pace (90mph+) when he does pitch so maybe its just a blip?

zjohnzzz

zjohnzzz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
verlander pitching today, cabbrera out for tigers they need a lift

woohoo sue

woohoo sue

Brings Laughter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
american league has home field advantage for world series....woohooo...

I think I enjoyed the Home Run derby better than the all stars game this year....LIKE the new format!

well here we go boys .....half way through and we are down 3.5 games from first...GO RAYS!

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Didnt get to see the HR Derby :( - hope i can find it somewhere online ;)

As its an odd year in number im not too bothered about the home/away situation as the Giants aren't due until next year :D

Yes Joe Buck is bad, but Harold Reynolds - JUST STOP TALKING - go on try it, even a couple of seconds, i dare you :mad: