Is Poker a Sport?

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Guys,

I have no idea why this question pops up from time to time, i guess its because it stokes a response and causes lively debate...

Here is my stance on this but i respect that the word and definition of " sport" may vary from country to country..

The word sport is a noun first up..and is defined as " an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment"

This is according to the English Oxford dictionary..and as such i rest my case that poker is NOT a sport.

Let the haters hate and the professors debate lol

Regards

Pirateglenn

AR AR AR AR AR
a good amendment.
but do not forget, there is the concept of intellectual sport.
and it develops.
everyone has their own opinion on this matter)

X

xexeu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes Since 2009, the Ministry of Sports recognizes poker as a sports activity in brazil. In the official definition, "Sports Poker is a practice of competition in which the practitioner is required to have intelligence, ability, intellectual and behavioral skills to succeed." There is even a confederation that organizes the major national tournaments, the Confederation Brazilian of Texas Hold'em)

M

midoooo90

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi everyone. I think it's more of an entertaining game or for whom the work but not the sport

W

we will rock you

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
its not a sport no activity you are sitting down in the ac its entertaining and exciting when playng

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi Guys,

I have no idea why this question pops up from time to time, i guess its because it stokes a response and causes lively debate...

Here is my stance on this but i respect that the word and definition of " sport" may vary from country to country..

The word sport is a noun first up..and is defined as " an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment"

This is according to the English Oxford dictionary..and as such i rest my case that poker is NOT a sport.

Let the haters hate and the professors debate lol

Regards

Pirateglenn

AR AR AR AR AR
Nowadays there are eSports. The people that used to be called gamers.
Just on the local news: in the USA eSporters can get scollarships.
With a modern definition: poker can be classified as an eSport.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think that there will never be one answer to this question.