Is Poker a Sport?

K

Khoesial

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In sports you also utilize your mind,strategy etc, so that would make poker a sport also.

I

irinafox

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that poker is a sport. because there are different kinds of sports, such as e-sports. Poker is no different in importance. people do not consider it a sport because they do not know anything about it

C

Click400

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sport is understood as a physical and competitive activity. Poker would enter the category of mental dexterity.

E

edcwy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems to me that a sport must have at least one physical element. For example, if holding your breath for time was a thing, it would be a sport? Under the logic, an argument could be made that it was a sport. Is bronco riding a sport? Is bull fighting is a sport? How about rhythmic gymnastics? All physical in some way. For each, one can improve with practice, like poker. But what about poker in a long tournament, where fatigue can be a real factor, mental and/or physical? In consideration of fatigue in poker, might poker actually be a sport?

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree

I would have to agree poker is a mental sport. I don't believe it is a true sporting event.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yes,
Live poker is a lot like live chess, maybe even 'more sport' (opponents reads).
online poker is an eSport, even more than many gaming nerds with an xBox, play station, wii, nintendo, etc.

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yes, and considered a sport of the mind

falle01

falle01

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To me personally i considered poker as a sport. Anything that is consider competitive and has to have an opponent is considered sport. Just as any sports their are: requirements, skills, and knowledge. You play poker out of boredom or you get a pleasure from it winning or losing it will string you with some kind of emotions. :call2: :pcguru: :pepsi::ah4::kh4:

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not really.

It is a game.

You can play it like a sport though.

Mootizit

Mootizit

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Im sure it is not a sport ,probably some party brought the idea just for publicity stunt.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Imo sports should involve very precise physical movements and activity that would disqualify poker from being a sport.

S

Slip_Me_Aces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is definitely a sport. Don't see you the wsop on ESPN every year? Oh yeah!!!

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
A mental sport, yes ! Like chees, baggamon for example.

M

Manifestor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I think poker is a sport, because the tranquil and prudent player wins here. People compete for the prize.

S

Synopsis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't view sports and competition necessarily the same. Sports to me are athletics, competition can be almost anything. Is rubix cube a sport? Lottery tickets? You can almost call anything a sport if you wanted to.

vadave311

vadave311

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe it is not a sport.....just like golf and NASCAR. All three are competitions.

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
NO and definantly NO, what physical attribute are used I'd like to know:thumpdown

B

bocheech21

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you dont play poker then you cant consider it a sport. but once you enter a tournament with a substantial buy in and you go through the stress and pressure of trying to get through the bubble then you will think other wise. if anyone has ever been on a final table then you will realize that it is a sport. its not just mental either, can you withstand sitting in a chair for 12 hours over 7 days and still play your best? thats physical and mental

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is Chess a sport? Same efforts in both Poker and Chess.