Is Poker a Sport?

djoepadilha

djoepadilha

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i really think if it is not yet, soon poker will be considerated a kind of sport too as well eletronic games got this status yet, i think poker have the potencial to this in the future

N

Nico_ico_404

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure it is! You need to be a real professional, not just a lucky one, to sdeadily win in poker

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe poker is a sport because its competitive psychology, math/analytics, and smarts to win the biggest prize money in a tournament.

ulgromkii

ulgromkii

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course an intelligent sport. Only iron nerves, cold calculation and discipline and a bit of luck all as in sports. Poker is sport.

509fio

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No athletic ability no sport. Love the game the though.

jus7_play3r

jus7_play3r

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is not a sport , my opinion

B

betang

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its not a sport, but its a game

CylleP

CylleP

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
chess is a sport? Yes! Both there and there you need to work your head

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
If you look at the definition of sport, poker or chess are kind of sport games. That is true. But definitely poker is not much a physical sport game. It is a game of mind like chess too. Poker is competition and therefore maybe considered as a sport game.
But I guess the most people, who think about sport, are thinking about physical exercises.
There are also E-Sports, what you think about this?

Last edited:
S

Samsamsonite

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It may be a mental sport, but not a real sport. Lebron james doesn't need luck to beat Warriors, he needs his teammates to show up! He can't just ''river'' them.

Anjo

Anjo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it would not be a good sport, maybe say a Hobby, a hobby or could even say a game of strategic and mental cards.
Of course it is a technical game, that one should play calmly, patiently, one has to have a little study, to understand well all its mechanism to get along.
I think they'll be there for a few years.

Good luck buddy!:)

THbc19

THbc19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why not? You spend energy, time, train, buy equipment. For me it's a sport.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are a lot of physical activities that do not have competition as a prime ingredient, the competition is mostly personalized. Rock climbing, or jogging come to mind. Are they sport? Or just exercise?

While [normally] requiring little physical activity, Poker and Chess and others, do require all the rest of the necessities to be good at any activity; practice, study, refinement and then performance.

Sort of boils down to ; Does the physical active of other sports mean Poker (or the other games) can not be considered a sport?

I can picture in my mind a thousand movies where a wager is proposed, and then some comment like "there's sporting fellow".

Maybe we need to come up with a more inclusive term for all competitions.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not think it's a sport, for example, you can not compare poker to chess.
I think in the online poker, chance intervenes, often lucky, for that reason I do not think it will be a mental sport 100%.
For example, in a chess tournament with 1000 players and a professional, there are many chances that professional win the tournament, or get very far, however in a poker tournament with 1000 players and a professional player, I do not think the professional player reaches the final table.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a forum in English, edit your comment not receive any type of sanction, gl.
I do not think that poker is a sport, this decision and the share of luck. Sports - state physical fatigue)

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello everyone, My name is marcelo, I'm from Brazil and I like to play Poker and I think it's a mental sport.
Hey. I think that poker is rather a way of life.
although it must also be thought of, but more here is the basis of mathematics and intuition.
I would not like to compare poker for example with chess
poker is a business. and not everyone in it will simply be the best. but poker is not a sport

1AMBOWLINGNINJA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion poker is not a sport. I hear a lot of people that say " Bowling " is not a sport too. I don't know how they can say that " Bowling " isn't a sport though.

Everbane

Everbane

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
gambling and poker is a gamble and sport are two completely different things .. So I think that poker can not be called a sport game!

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is poker a sport? Is it hell! lol

Hi Guys,

I have no idea why this question pops up from time to time, i guess its because it stokes a response and causes lively debate...

Here is my stance on this but i respect that the word and definition of " sport" may vary from country to country..

The word sport is a noun first up..and is defined as " an activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment"

This is according to the English Oxford dictionary..and as such i rest my case that poker is NOT a sport.

Let the haters hate and the professors debate lol

Regards

Pirateglenn

AR AR AR AR AR

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not see poker as a gamble.
Games at 21, 101 and so on, it's just excitement and fun
Poker - the psychology of mathematics is a strategy, discipline, endurance, determination, the ability to make important decisions in a split second.
Poker is not a game for a long time. not a sport. poker is a way of life.