Patriots...already booked to be in the superbowl?

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree, but I don't see that putting them over teams like the pats, dallas, or rams. I also don't think they match up well with the ravens, and I don't think they can out shoot the chiefs. That's a lot of teams ahead of them in my eyes. Any tier 2 team can be a sleeper team, and I suppose Seattle wouldn't be a bad choice in that group, but for the moment they are a after thought to me mainly because their past strength, their secondary, is nothing compared to what it was in what is progressing more and more into a passing league every year.

They definitely are a 2nd tier team. Just remember they have a head coach and a QB that's been there before. Chiefs head coach has to prove a lot more to me. Mahomes is an absolute stud but once he faces that insanely good Patriot defense that takes away your weapons, we shall see.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lmfao they've played 2 soft ass teams. I'm not saying they have a terrible defense but they haven't faced anybody of value yet.

Steelers were supposed to be a strong team with a good QB, decent WR, and a RB that played well last year. Patriots made them look soft because they showed up prepared when Tomlin didn't.

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Steelers D is horrible. So, while their O didn't come to play....the Pats didn't need much to beat them. The Dolphins were literally handing the ball to the Pats D and saying" here, we'd like if you took it to the house". Only my quote is an exaggeration. They literally gave them the ball on several occasions. They weren't take aways as far as I'm concerned. Dolphins are tanking every which way. And any sports commentator that tries to persuade the public that the players aren't tanking but the organization at the top is, is fooling themselves. The Patriots schedule is one of the softest out there....the Jets twice, Giants, Browns and Redskins all before early November when they face Baltimore. They do have a game against the Bills at the end of Sept...that may be an L for them. Ravens...should be a good game and we'll see more of what both are made of.

S

Synopsis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pats are annually a break even team in September. Seems that's when they do all their tuning up, and experimentation instead of in preseason, which is smart in my opinion. That said, just because they are off to a hot start this year, you can't really judge them accurately now, as nc said, they have the mother of all cupcake schedules early. Obviously they are good, they always are, but to have a solid take on them will take another 5 or 6 weeks.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Steelers were supposed to be a strong team with a good QB, decent WR, and a RB that played well last year. Patriots made them look soft because they showed up prepared when Tomlin didn't.

Lmfao. No not at all. Steelers are "supposed" to be a good team yes. But in 2 games they've looked terrible. Just because they are "supposed " to be a good team doesnt mean anything. As I said the patriots haven't played a strong offense yet. When they do the cheers and superbowl chants can flow.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And now it looks like Brown is done

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wouldn't call that a bad thing, but I bet they wish they hadn't traded Thomas now.
Theyll be fine without thomas. He wasnt a huge upgrade. They have a lot of young talent . But it makes gordon gold in fantasy

S

Synopsis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not having gronk/established tight ends, it's absolutely a huge upgrade having a proven possession wr like Thomas. More so considering New England doesn't even have a average possession wr in his place. Couple that with Brady not exactly being the most mobile qb ever, he would have a target when everyone is covered instead of taking a sack, or trying to get out of the box to throw it away. Gordon is a dynamic outside/post on cover 1, edelman is the route runner. Thomas would have complemented the scheme. They have the guy they drafted, but he isn't proven. I'm positive they wish they could go back and have kept him and never signed ab.

It's not all about just raw talent. Their have been a ton of super talented teams who never did anything. You need pieces for every occasion and that compliment each other.
Theyll be fine without thomas. He wasnt a huge upgrade. They have a lot of young talent . But it makes gordon gold in fantasy

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not having gronk/established tight ends, it's absolutely a huge upgrade having a proven possession wr like Thomas. More so considering New England doesn't even have a average possession wr in his place. Couple that with Brady not exactly being the most mobile qb ever, he would have a target when everyone is covered instead of taking a sack, or trying to get out of the box to throw it away. Gordon is a dynamic outside/post on cover 1, edelman is the route runner. Thomas would have complemented the scheme. They have the guy they drafted, but he isn't proven. I'm positive they wish they could go back and have kept him and never signed ab.

Apparently you haven't watched the patriots at all since belichek entered. They will be fine. They were fine. Losing thomas isnt that big of a deal. They always have backdoor talent, before Gronkowski Hernandez's was the man then Gronkowski appeared on the radar after the case. Is thomas a decent vet? Sure but they still have dorsett that isnt terrible and once Watson gets out from his suspension he will be there TE. Losing Thomas isnt really a huge impact , if it was going to be he would have still been on the Pat's and another reciever would have been gone. The Patriots are a smart team

S

Synopsis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, I've never seen these patriots, what is this foots balls you speak of?

I didn't say it was a huge deal, I said I bet they regret it given how it's played out. I don't recall saying they are doomed now. Dorsett is 5'10" if that, I don't see how that counteracts my point about a possession wr. Thomas is 6'3", and has abnormally long arms on top of it. Will the pats be fine, sure, but that doesn't mean they are less well equipped because they rushed for ab, most likely before he was even cut by Oakland which has been speculated. Same time frame thomas was given his papers.
Apparently you haven't watched the patriots at all since belichek entered. They will be fine. They were fine. Losing thomas isnt that big of a deal. They always have backdoor talent, before Gronkowski Hernandez's was the man then Gronkowski appeared on the radar after the case. Is thomas a decent vet? Sure but they still have dorsett that isnt terrible and once Watson gets out from his suspension he will be there TE. Losing Thomas isnt really a huge impact , if it was going to be he would have still been on the Pat's and another reciever would have been gone. The Patriots are a smart team

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lmfao. No not at all. Steelers are "supposed" to be a good team yes. But in 2 games they've looked terrible. Just because they are "supposed " to be a good team doesnt mean anything. As I said the patriots haven't played a strong offense yet. When they do the cheers and superbowl chants can flow.

Steelers 2nd week was a loss but they almost pulled off a win against the Seahawks. So to say they looked like garbage is not a fair statement.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not even a little worried about the depth at WR. They have Gunner Olszewski and Jakobi Meyers waiting in the wings. Both look extremely good in the plays they've seen.

S

Synopsis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's not about the depth, it's about the type. You're a diehard, so let's have a example. Say it's the super bowl and pats are down 3 with a minute left. Ends up being 4th and long and no one gets open and Brady has to just chunk it up for grabs. Are you going to be saying you are fine with the depth, or that you wish you had a possession wr?

That's all I'm saying, how it played out I bet they wish they had kept him.
Not even a little worried about the depth at WR. They have Gunner Olszewski and Jakobi Meyers waiting in the wings. Both look extremely good in the plays they've seen.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's not about the depth, it's about the type. You're a diehard, so let's have a example. Say it's the super bowl and pats are down 3 with a minute left. Ends up being 4th and long and no one gets open and Brady has to just chunk it up for grabs. Are you going to be saying you are fine with the depth, or that you wish you had a possession wr?

That's all I'm saying, how it played out I bet they wish they had kept him.

Honestly, I am perfectly fine with their depth. Look at where they were against the falcons. They needed that catch by Edelman and look at how he made that impossible play happen. As for the rookie WR's, Bill Belichick and Josh McDaniels are the best at coaching up that position. I do not feel the least bit worried about that position.

The Patriots took a chance at making that position even that much better, and unfortunately Brown came with even more baggage than the Pats even knew about.

S

Synopsis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We will have to see how it goes over the season. Me personally if I were a pats fan I'd rather have the team as is, plus thomas, rather than the team just as is.... which is all I was saying.
Honestly, I am perfectly fine with their depth. Look at where they were against the falcons. They needed that catch by Edelman and look at how he made that impossible play happen. As for the rookie WR's, Bill Belichick and Josh McDaniels are the best at coaching up that position. I do not feel the least bit worried about that position.

The Patriots took a chance at making that position even that much better, and unfortunately Brown came with even more baggage than the Pats even knew about.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We will have to see how it goes over the season. Me personally if I were a pats fan I'd rather have the team as is, plus thomas, rather than the team just as is.... which is all I was saying.

I felt weird when they traded Thomas to the Jets of all teams. A veteran presence on the team would be really good with Edelman. Still, we definitely will have to see how the season goes and hope the two TE's from suspension play well when returning.

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think we learned a few things this week:

1) As previously stated, the Chiefs are legit.
2) Baltimore will stick around and be a thorn in someone's side
3) Both teams can beat the Patriots
4) If Brady gets hurt, Pats are done. They're actually thin at WR.
5) As a Giants fan, I was happy to see the transition to Jones. I think it was 2 years overdue. Kid, despite a few mistakes (to be expected) handled himself well without Barkley. He can run. He's accurate. Refreshing. Give a few tools around him and a Defense and in a year or 2, Gmen will be back at it.
6) I think Cam will be on a new team sooner rather than later.
7) I was wrong on the Browns....though they did play a tough Rams team and hung with them. Their O is just not as explosive as it is on paper.
8) Gardner Minshew will play Uncle Rico whenever they decide to remake Napolean Dynomite.
9) I will never again trust ESPN analysis for rankings. I went against my gut and started Allen over Wentz in my fake football lineup based on matchup and damnit if I'm not going to lose by the 7pt difference.
10) The Dolphins are like a clown car....just when you think they're done clowning, more come out. Good lord what a joke that game was.

S

Synopsis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can't say I can agree with 3, unless 4 happens. I don't think anything was learned from the Ravens chefs game, other than maybe the Chiefs aren't as good under pressure. They did very little as the Ravens came back, and it's not because they were milking clock because they weren't. Ravens did show some terrible coaching though. Those 2 point attempts... wtf, those alone probably cost a lot of people their covers. The one where a pta makes it a 2 score game though... most ridiculous call of though the year so far. As for the wr situation in ne, I've been saying it, but everyone disagreed with me on it. They should have kept thomas, at least a few weeks to test the water with ab, which turned out being a quick situation.

5, Im sure you're feeling a lot better than previous weeks. He looked good. I'm sure you're worried he might be murdered before barkley is back though, because he is going to get rushed a ton with barkley not in the backfield.

6, agreed, I mentioned it to up above.

7, agreed, but that can also be said of the rams.

8, Funny stuff.

10. I'd say they showed signs of improvement in the first half. Only down 4 to the cowboys at dallas. Was easy money second half, I didn't think they would sustain it, and they didnt. But hey, something to build on first half wise.
I think we learned a few things this week:

1) As previously stated, the Chiefs are legit.
2) Baltimore will stick around and be a thorn in someone's side
3) Both teams can beat the Patriots
4) If Brady gets hurt, Pats are done. They're actually thin at WR.
5) As a Giants fan, I was happy to see the transition to Jones. I think it was 2 years overdue. Kid, despite a few mistakes (to be expected) handled himself well without Barkley. He can run. He's accurate. Refreshing. Give a few tools around him and a Defense and in a year or 2, Gmen will be back at it.
6) I think Cam will be on a new team sooner rather than later.
7) I was wrong on the Browns....though they did play a tough Rams team and hung with them. Their O is just not as explosive as it is on paper.
8) Gardner Minshew will play Uncle Rico whenever they decide to remake Napolean Dynomite.
9) I will never again trust ESPN analysis for rankings. I went against my gut and started Allen over Wentz in my fake football lineup based on matchup and damnit if I'm not going to lose by the 7pt difference.
10) The Dolphins are like a clown car....just when you think they're done clowning, more come out. Good lord what a joke that game was.

Last edited:
an9312

an9312

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
the Pats wont make the Superbowl this year

NCDaddy

NCDaddy

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ravens did show some terrible coaching though. Those 2 point attempts... wtf, those alone probably cost a lot of people their covers. The one where a pta makes it a 2 score game though... most ridiculous call of though the year so far. As for the wr situation in ne, I've been saying it, but everyone disagreed with me on it. They should have kept thomas, at least a few weeks to test the water with ab, which turned out being a quick situation.

YA...that was some b.s. Not sure what was rattling between the ears on those. And I totally agree with you on Thomas. I was a little shocked Pats took a shot with AB given Hoodie's non-tolerance for AB-like behavior. Maybe they thought it was worth a tire kick to see what happened....I dunno. I'd have still kept Thomas around though.

S

Synopsis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I see why they went for it IF they weren't aware of the accusations at that point. It was a small window between him being released him signing, and the PUBLIC finding out about the accusations, key word public. I'd have to think they didn't know given how fast they let him go. I see why they took the chance though, memories of randy moss, and really think on how that would have worked for the team. Yeah AB would have had some good stats... but Edelman would have prospered with ab and Gordon on opposite sides. He effectively would have had the whole middle of the field to himself because even in a cover 3, the ss and fs are going to lock on the outside, and odds are one will veer closer to Gordon or ab. Even if they dont, Edelman would have had basically free 7-15 yard catches under that middle zone. Would have been nasty... you can't adjust to it either without playing something like a cover 3 man press hybrid, which leaves sonny all that space to run. You also cant bring that middle zone down to protect because ab or Gordon would have 1v1 with no deep saftey with perhaps the best deep post passer ever. Given all of that... letting Thomas go was dumb even if ab was on the team right now. At minimal they should have kept him 3 or 4 weeks to see if ab was going to fit. I still like the idea of using him like a te. Imagine ab and Gordon on the outside, Edelman in the slot, and Thomas kind of being a hybrid wr/te. All of that with Brady as the qb.... that's sick.
YA...that was some b.s. Not sure what was rattling between the ears on those. And I totally agree with you on Thomas. I was a little shocked Pats took a shot with AB given Hoodie's non-tolerance for AB-like behavior. Maybe they thought it was worth a tire kick to see what happened....I dunno. I'd have still kept Thomas around though.

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The Browns being what they are what now was expected. They are a New Madden team with a non true head coach. They are supposed to take those bumps in the road and the tough losses will hopefully start to open them up. They are still going to lose 7-8 total but there was so much hype around them in the offseason nobody was actually paying attention to their schedule. They are technically still doing better than last year and that's all that matters.

Daniel Jones.....looked.....supersolid. like his poise behind center was unreal, he wasnt scared to take a hit nor stand in the pocket with pressure. I think the giants actually turn around and surprise a lot of people and atleast take home 5-6 total wins. Saquan being out for 8 weeks is a big shot to the dick but even after he went out he was still gunning the ball.

Miami looks like a superbowl team....unsure if anybody's seeing it but they are definitely doing things that show they will be in the superbowl..........in2030