Ongoing Soccer Thread

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well it's not over yet that's the beauty of football, twists and turns all over the place. Utd should close it out now though what with the 3 pts and game in hand but it wouldn't overly shock me if they threw it away at the death, stranger things have happened in football.

Like 88/89 @ Anfield u mean :(

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well it's not over yet that's the beauty of football, twists and turns all over the place. Utd should close it out now though what with the 3 pts and game in hand but it wouldn't overly shock me if they threw it away at the death, stranger things have happened in football.
Yeah i agree even if Man Utd are in massivly good postion atm Man Utd have two games left they might just drop points in(and hopefully they do:p),
The City game simple becuse it a darby and we all know standard rules dont apply there and then the Arsenal game.
Lets say Man Utd lose both thouse games and Liverpool win all of theres and then play Totenham in the last round wouldnt be just like Liverpool to lose that one to a 90min goal from Keane:(.

But im by no means unhappy with Liverpools season, i dont remember the last time we actualy challenged for the title instead of playing catch up after droping to many points in the first rounds and i feel the team has been more positive then previouse years.
Sure the draws have stung a litle and going 0-0 to Stoke over 180min is terrible but when was the last time we had a team capable of doing a double over Man Utd and Chelsea and thrasing Real?
And like blacksun said with a couple new additions we might get there next year(fingers crossed).
I would like to see Silva,Owen/Santa Cruz and then a back up right fullback(never rated Glen Johnson to high, fell he is more suited for mid table team.).

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah i agree even if Man Utd are in massivly good postion atm Man Utd have two games left they might just drop points in(and hopefully they do:p),
The City game simple becuse it a darby and we all know standard rules dont apply there and then the Arsenal game.
Lets say Man Utd lose both thouse games and Liverpool win all of theres and then play Totenham in the last round wouldnt be just like Liverpool to lose that one to a 90min goal from Keane:(.

But im by no means unhappy with Liverpools season, i dont remember the last time we actualy challenged for the title instead of playing catch up after droping to many points in the first rounds and i feel the team has been more positive then previouse years.
Sure the draws have stung a litle and going 0-0 to Stoke over 180min is terrible but when was the last time we had a team capable of doing a double over Man Utd and Chelsea and thrasing Real?
And like blacksun said with a couple new additions we might get there next year(fingers crossed).
I would like to see Silva,Owen/Santa Cruz and then a back up right fullback(never rated Glen Johnson to high, fell he is more suited for mid table team.).

I like what you say in your post sindri, makes a lot of sense imo and I agree with most of it.
Just to add, take last season for instance, Chelsea were extremely close to being both English and European champions ( probably world champs too )
There was very little pts wise to seperate them from Utd in the prem and we all know what happened in the penalty shoot out in the champs league final. That doesn't mean I'm saying Utd were lucky but it just goes to show how marginal these things can be sometimes.

Worak

Worak

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
klinsmann fired as bayern coach

After loosing 0:1 at home against Schalke 04, Bayern fired Jürgen Klinsmann this morning.

Jupp Heynckes who was Bayern trainer between 1987 and 1991 already will step in until the end of this season.

beardyian

beardyian

Scary Clown
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Giggs PFA Player of the Year?

Seems like a strange choice. He has only played the full 90 minutes on 9 occasions and has only played 1223 minutes out of a possible 3060 - about 40%. He has scored 1 league goal.

I think several ManU players have had better seasons, but I guess it is more of a reflection of his outstanding career - so in that regard it is well-deserved, albeit a strange choice this season.

Giggs should have received some sort of honoury award rather than player of the year imo, but ive been trying to think of the last couple of weeks who is the player of the year.

There are only a handful of top strikers consistantly performing (Torres & Drogba apart) midfield, defence and keepers have few outstanding performers.

My Team of the year (ish)

Van der Saar

Johnson Ferdinand Vidic Taylor, Matt

Gerrard Lampard Ireland

Rooney

Torres Drogba

Subs:
Mark Schwarzer (gk)
Ashley Young
Ronaldo
Peter Crouch
Phil Jagielka
Phil Neville

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My team:
----------------------------Van der Sar
-------------------Boswinga Vidic Hangeland Evra
------------------------------Alonso
-------------------Ronaldo Lampard Gerrard Young
------------------------------Torres

Bench:
Scwarzer
Ireland
Jagielka
Ferdinand
Carrick
Giggs
Benayoun/Kuyt(lol i know)

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Giggs should have received some sort of honoury award rather than player of the year imo, but ive been trying to think of the last couple of weeks who is the player of the year.

There are only a handful of top strikers consistantly performing (Torres & Drogba apart) midfield, defence and keepers have few outstanding performers.

My Team of the year (ish)

Van der Saar

Johnson Ferdinand Vidic Taylor, Matt

Gerrard Lampard Ireland

Rooney

Torres Drogba

Subs:

Mark Schwarzer (gk)

Ashley Young

Ronaldo

Peter Crouch

Phil Jagielka

Phil Neville​

Drogba has been performing for the last 4 or 5 weeks before that he was either injured or sulking. Torres would have been nominated had he not missed half the season with injuries (damn spanish national team:mad: ) How Rooney wasn't nominated ahead of either Ronaldo or Giggs I'll never know, hes been their most consistant performer in the attacking half. I'm still not convinced about Vidic either, I still think Ferdinand makes him look better.
I agree Giggs should have got a special award recognising his contribution to the the Premier league since its inception.

My Team of the year:

GK: Van der sar
RB: Glenn Johnson
CB: Rio Ferdinand
CB: Hangaland
LB: Leighton Baines
RM: Gerrard
CM: Alonso
CM: Lampard
LM: Ashley Young
CF: Torres
CF: Rooney

Subs: Pepe, Vidic, Jagielka, Ronaldo, ireland , Benayoun, Crouch

Gesshoo

Gesshoo

RIP Buck.
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think several teams have had outstanding seasons, and some of their players would deserve a place.

Fulham - Schwarzer/Hangeland
Stoke - Shawcross
Aston Villa - Barry
Everton - Lescott/Arteta
West Ham - Cole
Spurs - Modric

Then some of the more obvious ones:

ManU - Vidic/Berbatov/Rooney/Ronaldo
Chelsea - Lampard/Anelka/Bosingwa
Liverpool - Gerrard/Torres

So, my choice based on rewarding some of the "lesser" teams who have had a good season:

Schwarzer
Lescott
Vidic
Shawcross
Hangeland
Lampard
Gerrard
Ronaldo
Berbatov
Torres
Rooney

4-3-3

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for his workrate and habit of scoring crucial goals, clearly.

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Berbatov and Anelka ???? Are u sure? Anelka has done nothing since December and Berba has been a bigger waste of money than the other Spurs player Keane. Compared to last season I think Ronaldo hasnt performed consistantly either, and yes Iknow hes scored lots of goals but I don't think he has offered the threat he did last year and wants his move to Madrid as he's sulked and cried more this season than hes played well. Boswinga started the season well but I feel he got found out defensively after a few months which was part of the reason Chelsea fell off the pace. I do agree with the 'lesser' team players U picked as having a decent season, I think Danny Murphy also at fulham has been excellent too.

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Chelsea held Barca then, job done in the Nou Camp, on to the Bridge.

Swear Engine

Swear Engine

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chelsea held Barca then, job done in the Nou Camp, on to the Bridge.

Good effort to stop Barca scoring at home for the first time this season but i can't help thinking they'll be more vulnerable at the Bridge when they have to press forward more.
Was it just me or did Lampard have a shocker last night?

As for tonight's game it looks set up to be a cracker so it'll probably fizzle out to be 0-0. Hope not though. If Walcott turns it on the mighty Mancs might just struggle to get through. Toure v Toure in the final anyone...?

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
lampard was playing last night? :eek:

M

Machidon7

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
tight game last night....i was close to win 200 $ ,but eto'o and bojan krkic didn't manage to score :mad: so i lost my bet :(....tough schedule for barca in the next 7 days; they will play agains real madrid (on 2 may in the Liga) and chelsea (on 6 may in the champions league)....hope they will win :joyman:
also i think manchester will win tonight their home game with arsenal and they will manage to qualify; i want to see a barca-manchester final...it would be a memorable one for sure ;)

blacksun

blacksun

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Good effort to stop Barca scoring at home for the first time this season but i can't help thinking they'll be more vulnerable at the Bridge when they have to press forward more.
Was it just me or did Lampard have a shocker last night?

Yes this baffled me too, the Chelsea fans after the game were acting like they'd just won 3-0 saying they were gonna win 2-0 at the Bridge etc. Had they not watched the game I had where their team barely had the ball and were outplayed for 90 mins and would be 2 or 3 down if not for Cech. I also think the return match suits Barca cos Chelsea will have to try and come out and score cos if Barca get one they need to score 2, unless they are playing for a goaless draw and take Barca to pens LOL That worked out well in Moscow after all :p

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Barcelona 0-0 Chelsea
Man Utd 1-0 Arsenal

Both ties in the balance and delicately poised for the return legs next week. Barcelona and Man Utd didn't concede at home and that could well be a defining factor at the end. Likewise, Arsenal and Chelsea will have to avoid conceding that away goal(s) in the second leg. Any two from four for the final all things considered.

Crystal Blue

Crystal Blue

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
An interesting scenario was just mentioned on "You're on sky sports!" ( football phone-in tv program discussing resent/upcoming events) regarding the championship final day this weekend. A caller mentioned the phantom goal awarded to Reading against Watford last September which resulted in a 2-2 draw and a point that day for Reading.
The caller wondered if there might/should be any repercussions if the following scenario happened next Sunday.............

Reading beat Birmingham
Sheffield Utd draw with Crystal Palace

If this happens Reading, Sheffield Utd and Birmingham City would all have 80 points for the season and Reading would get the automatic promotion slot by way of superior goal difference.
Also if it turned out that way Sheffield Utd would have a more superior goal difference than Birmingham City. If would make that day last September all the more relevant and once again be a big blow to Sheffield Utd's premiership aspirations.
Thoughts?

Swear Engine

Swear Engine

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think Arsenal blew their chance last night. Arsenal can be lethal when they're flying and roll over teams but i just don't see them doing it to Man U at the Emirates next week. A two goal victory is beyond them i think. I'm pretty sure the Mancs will score there too so unless Arsene conjures a minor miracle from his mercurial team i think Man U will progress.
The Chelsea - Barca game is much more open. I think Chelsea are capable of beating them at home and they'll be a much more attack minded unit at the Bridge. Plus Hiddink is tactically very very astute and might just have all the answers to the questions Messi et al will pose. I can't help leaning towards the cockneys as the bleating emanating from the Barca squad after Tuesday's goalless draw is frankly pathetic. It always amuses me when teams complain that their opponents didn't come and lie down. Why should Chelsea provide the canvas for Guardiola's whingers to paint one of their footballing masterpieces? Last time i checked it was just as important to defend as well as attack and Barca obviously hated the fact that they were unable to score on Tuesday. Let them take out their frustrations on the bloated corpse of the team that once was Real Madrid at the weekend. Maybe then they can come to England to play with a smile on their faces and we'll get the second leg the tie deserves.

As to the Championship situation....please not another protracted court case.... Hopefully Birmingham or Sheffield United can spare Stuart Attwell any further dredging up of the worst refereeing decision ever made. Either one of them deserves the second automatic promotion spot more than Reading.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in all honesty we really don't deserve to go up - we've played horribly for pretty much all of the season.

there's no way realistically that anything could be done about that 'goal' - i could argue that if the goal hadn't stood that we'd be going into our last game with reading having nothing to play for which would give us more of a chance. norwich could claim that reading would have had nothing to play for in monday's game and so they might not get relegated etc etc.

basically it opens up a ridiculous can of worms and would set a horrible precedent.

why the **** we still don't use at least goal-line cams i don't know, though.

YouTube - Watford vs. Reading (20-09-2008)

S93

S93

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why the **** we still don't use at least goal-line cams i don't know, though.
Ever watched a American footaball game? You basicly cant because of all the pauses to check instand replay.
I think any sort of camera for the ref to look at would be a terrible idea,
It would make the game riddled with pauses, destroy the flow of the game and also be a pain for the fans.
I mean who doesnt enjoy saying there team lost only because of bad reffering? Cameras would almost eliminate that.
oh and the LFC-CFC game where Garcia "scored" a goal to send LFC to the finals is still contreversial 4-5 years on despite millions of replays of the insitant, u think the ref could have make the "right" call even if he had cameras back then?

Basicly contreversial decisions are major part of football and i wouldnt whant that to chance.

Dorkus Malorkus

Dorkus Malorkus

HELLO INTERNET
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ever watched a American footaball game? You basicly cant because of all the pauses to check instand replay.
I think any sort of camera for the ref to look at would be a terrible idea,
It would make the game riddled with pauses, destroy the flow of the game and also be a pain for the fans.
I mean who doesnt enjoy saying there team lost only because of bad reffering? Cameras would almost eliminate that.
oh and the LFC-CFC game where Garcia "scored" a goal to send LFC to the finals is still contreversial 4-5 years on despite millions of replays of the insitant, u think the ref could have make the "right" call even if he had cameras back then?

Basicly contreversial decisions are major part of football and i wouldnt whant that to chance.

but in every premiership weekend there is what? maybe one contentious goal line decision (if that)? it would take maybe 20 seconds for footage to be reviewed and a decision to be given to the ref so using these ballpark figures you're looking at an average holdup of 2 seconds per game. when you factor in that when you get a disputed goalline decision one team or the other tends to whine at the ref for half a minute or so, you'd actually be saving time!

if there's any doubt even having reviewed footage, the decision goes in favour of the defence, obviously.

i'm not saying get a video ref on for all disputed decisions - seeing as pretty much every decision a ref makes is disputed by someone these days that would lead to games lasting 6 hours, and with stuff like fouls/penalties/yellow and red cards there is a large grey area that video review wouldn't help with, but with goalline decisions it's simply did/didn't it cross the line (and if for some reason we can't tell, it's not a goal).