What do you do while playing poker?

gus201

gus201

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watch TV , check email, walk around , id say just about anything but pay attention and know what is going . after all if you use math and math only and put in basic position understanding with it should be able win money . if you polish it up and keep polishing it you should be good enough to play in the wsop's in vegas .
Thas what I do when Playing and I ok this message :)

V

VYtautasLu

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Drinking some juice and eating some snacks to stay calm. :D

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
am i the only one who turns the music down/off when playing a big hand? ol

VizziVizo

VizziVizo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I speak by the phone with my girlfriend.1-I am more lucky when i do that and playing poker in the same time and 2-my stake is ups and i have 50-100 BB for all the time.It is magik.

AWW_DIN

AWW_DIN

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i agree, i watch tv or listen to music. during freerolls or low stakes tourneys i actually play a video game or something . i feel when trying to last in a tourney if i do nothing but watch my table i tend to get bored and play hands i shouldnt. i find tho if i play multiple tables i simply listen to some good tunes . i need more than just one table usually due to a short attention span lol

L

losties

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play in complete silent and if I see my attention diverged a bit then I just put on the WSOP or some poker series to get me movitated if I can. This is just to get the momentum going still. During my break though I might watch car clips ( a hobbie which i fancy) to relax the brain a tiny bit :D

J

jass503

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you should focus in the game and try to read the way you opponents are playing o get information that could lead you to win the game!!!

X

Xiao

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Online: Beginning of a long tournament I'll have a stream or show on. Later on in tournaments or in a SnG or a cash game I'll turn some music that gets me more engaged in the game. On the computer I'm not terribly good with focus so I need something to help me with that

Offline: Talk. I love table talk. Main reason I like offline more than online is cause I can focus better with the physical presence of the game rather than buttons on the screen. Plus, at least in ACR and Carbon, most people aren't really chatters.

n3rv

n3rv

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it is a mentally stimulating game and I am paying full attention, I will just sit in silence and play. It is an intense focus but it can also be quite meditative. The best poker is always played in the full awareness of the present moment.

If I am not on my A-game, I will just stick on a podcast, some music, a TV show, or some other enjoyable poker videos. It passes the time when bored fishing and helps keep me patient as opposed to tilting. It isn't optimal, it is pretty auto-pilot, but if the table selection is good then it doesn't matter. Good things come to those who wait.

mendiolacubicle

mendiolacubicle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aside from playing music, I don't think watching tv or doing other things would help me focus in playing especially when the opponents bet out. I might miss something very important. Good on those who can multitask! :)

BiliousBetil

BiliousBetil

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I always play music, and used to love to joke around on a live poker chat room that is now, unfortunately, pretty much defunct.

B

benspocket

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well sometimes I`m eating breakfast or I have a bag of chips and a diet drink on my desktop table

D

Dareshell

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually have at least three or four tables on the go so im pretty much just playing poker. I found before when browsing or doing something else that i would lose quicker. Now i make it to the bubble more and more often. I'm not sure if it is due to the fact that my attention is solely on the game or if it is because I'm more and more experienced ???

However on a side note. My GF plays candy crush all the time and it pees me off. Focus on the game damn it!!

G

gqr31ff

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to drink tea and listen to music that's all I need.

IGotADonk

IGotADonk

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I tend to get impatient and over-think, so I have to have some kind of distraction during the quiet periods of the game, where I've extracted all the useful information I can from everyone and am just waiting for the stars to align. Usually this is after the first break, when the blinds are high enough that I'm not going to make stupid moves just to check the barometer of the table. Usually, it's Bruckner's 2nd symphony, though I might put in John Adams if the table's twitchy.
Big Tell: What music are you listening to, Sean?

J

JKawai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
- Watch every hand
- Take notes
- Refer back to past hands in HM2 to look at behaviour and range, add this to notes for future
- Make general notes about own playing style
- Note down usernames for future stalking
- Constantly track ranges
- Track my cash graph and adjust play accordingly

When I've played ABC poker at microstakes and been watching Netflix I have pissed my money up the wall. If you are bored you will tilt.

J

JKawai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why is anybody playing poker if you have to do something else during to numb the boredom?

EDIT: I am actually really glad this many people don't pay attention

E

Ekthelion

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I like very much to read some online articles or blogs while playing or have the tv playing while i'm using my tablet App.It's not very right i know but i can't seem to maintain my patience otherwise...

J

JKawai

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like very much to read some online articles or blogs while playing or have the tv playing while i'm using my tablet poker app.It's not very right i know but i can't seem to maintain my patience otherwise...

If you find it boring play higher stakes where the money means something to you and pay attention. You will find it more satisfying than monotonously playing ABC poker on what I'm assuming is low stakes.

It's the same reason I think multitabling is a bit depressing. There are far more worthwhile and less soul-destroying ways of making money than playing ABC poker day in day out. Play poker for poker.

Lheticus

Lheticus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
online poker? Youtube, Netflix, Hulu, even Itunes. I'm much the same way as the OP only it's less noise and more stopping myself from being too bored to desire to continue with the game. With live poker I...play poker. I can concentrate a lot easier if I've gone to some public place for the express purpose of playing freaking poker. When I do that, I feel I should be darn well playing poker. XD

Slav4obaby

Slav4obaby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends of the tourney. If I play 50$+ buy in tournament I'm focused 100% to play not to listening music or watch tv

Jostone6

Jostone6

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When early tournaments, few tables, i'm watching youtube videos or listening music.
Late i'm focus, but still listening good music to relax.