Is there such a thing as online poker etiquette?

NootNoot

NootNoot

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
It might have been slightly more prevalent at one point in time, I started online over 20 years ago, but nowadays it's rare to see. Even then I wouldn't say it was something that the majority followed, just that I'd see it a little more often. It's difficult to class something as etiquette if it actually goes against common social norms.

There's always the "golden rule" about treating others as you'd like to be treated yourself, but if very few are following it anyway might as well join in. I know that's cynical and you could always try to be better if you think it's important as a point of principle but I don't think anyone is too bothered. People will take advantage of it if the shoe were on the other foot and generally expect the same back.

I have waited in the past, used time bank, checked down hands or even folded stuff I wouldn't have played but that was a long time ago.

If splitting hairs, I would say there's a slight difference between suddenly sitting out and disconnecting. Suddenly sitting out means they've clicked the sitting out button, I've no idea if they intend to come back or not. If they've disconnected I can usually see that, and would assume they're actively trying to reconnect. I'd be slightly more inclined to wait after a disconnect if I was going to wait for either. Even then, there'd only be so long I think a person could be reasonably expected to play it slow if they were ever going to anyway.

Dasha_21

Dasha_21

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think it does exist. I'm quite trying to be attentive to all players

RENEY444

RENEY444

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will keep playing and try to win .Time is valuable and so are the sitter's blinds and antes . Just some good luck on our side for a change .

G

greenlarrow

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Maybe no. If the opponent senses weakness, he will use you. Everything is the same as in real life

riff_raff312

riff_raff312

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Poker etiquette is about respected for the game and the people who play,now with that being said i myself play to win with no disrespect for him or the game. If he sits out or gets sat out for some unknown reason i would play on as usual until his return.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have on occasion slowed down my response time during HU, when my opponent suddenly sat out in CC events. Never done so other than during HU play, never done so in any game other than a CC event. My reason each time was my enjoyment of the competition. I do not see where any rule of conduct is being violated by choosing not to do so.

Rost

Rost

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I am very motivated by my victories. Not the money I win, because that's not important to me, but the victories are what give me the most pleasure. And I am always impressed by fierce competition. It's not interesting to win because my opponent has a broken internet connection, and I don't think I would consider such a victory deserved. But nevertheless, I wouldn't wait for my opponent to reconnect, and I wouldn't wait because I simply wouldn't have reliable information about how long it would take. There's no point in waiting for who knows how long.

RhinoRyan89

RhinoRyan89

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I would take advantage of the disconnect in almost all situations.

Unless is was some i knew or got along with.

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
I think it should be the same etiquette like by live poker. But it's not there.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yes, there is certainly etiquette for online poker. Very few actually use it, but etiquette exists in every form of social interaction we could imagine. People shouldn't time down every turn just for rudeness' sake. People shouldn't say nasty things in chat. People shouldn't hit and run (i'm sure many will disagree with this one, but it's applicable). Sometimes you just have to leave and it happens, oh well. Sometimes someone is being a jerk and you bust them and leave...cool. It is however rude to stack someone after 2 hands and immediately get up. At least sit another round and fold and give the image you don't want to hit and run. It's also rude to sit out with no intention of coming back and just taking up the seat for no reason.

neptunas888

neptunas888

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I would take advantage of the situation and steal the blinds, maybe it is not nice in relation to the opponent, but winning a tournament is always prestigious and profitable

KrazyKoo

KrazyKoo

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
I think it depends on the tournament and also your status
- If it's just daily tournament then it's fine to keep playing vs sit-out player, if it's bigger yearly event then not
- If you are just casual player trying to play then it's fine to keep playing vs sit-out player, if you are someone prominent in the type of tournament you are in then definitely not.

martinoni

martinoni

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yeah makes sense... depends your kind of players vs the enviroment you are in to play with etiquette or not

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have had that happen to me before to have something happen where it made me a sitter and I was shown no mercy.
If you are at a live tournament and get up from your seat for whatever the reason your blinds and antes are posted until you return.
That's just part of the game, time is moving on and it doesn't stop for you for any reason.
Time Marches On.

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I dare to comment once more...in this world we live in, what matters most is what we achieve, not how correct and well-educated we were,...we once were and we can say and no matter how reconciled we are with ourselves that we did something ethically, morally correct and whatever this attitude implies....we will be seen as weak and clueless people. So the winner always took advantage of every opportunity right or wrong to achieve the goal.

seiya1989

seiya1989

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
If I were in that situation I would take the chips mercilessly, as they did with me when I ever lost the connection.

millya5

millya5

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
As I remember in my memory I had such moments . I just continued to play as usual . I don't see anything wrong here.

There were also cases and vice versa . My internet went down and my opponent won . In a word, this is online poker

rsparente

rsparente

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'd take advantage, sites are badly proggramed, me myself have already been in the other side. Só unlucky for him.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only if the tournament is very significant.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
If this is a game with people I often play with, for example, like in the Cardschat community, then I will wait, in other cases no!!!

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
If my opponent goes into standby mode and has more chips, then I will gladly accept the gift and take the chips, if I have more chips I will wait for the player for 5 seconds. In my opinion, this version of the online poker game only indirectly concerns the unspoken etiquette at the tables.

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As unspoken etiquette that should be followed at the table online I would say do not provoke your opponents.

What about heads-up play in an online tournament I would wait just the first couple minutes and only then I will continue to play

userX

userX

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Do you believe there is an unspoken etiquette that should be followed at the tables online? What do you think is the right thing to do in the situation below?

You have reached heads-up play in an online tournament, but suddenly your opponent goes into a sit-out mode. Will you wait for them to reconnect and get back in the game or you would try to get an advantage of the situation and win as many chips as possible?

4fb540aed9af09682da8a738756b5956.png

Thanks to @iwont20 for this topic suggestion!
In this situation, I think the right thing to do is to take advantage of the situation and win the tournament. It would be stupid to miss this chance :)
The technical problems of my opponents do not concern me. :cool:

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you believe there is an unspoken etiquette that should be followed at the tables online? What do you think is the right thing to do in the situation below?

You have reached heads-up play in an online tournament, but suddenly your opponent goes into a sit-out mode. Will you wait for them to reconnect and get back in the game or you would try to get an advantage of the situation and win as many chips as possible?

4fb540aed9af09682da8a738756b5956.png

Thanks to @iwont20 for this topic suggestion!
I would play as if there is a sit out. Because there is. You don't know their situation. They could have just gotten up and left. Or maybe they had a power outage and may take awhile to get back on.
If I wait for the other guy
that's collusion in my eyes xD

Falzee

Falzee

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There's no etiquette involved when someone sits out. You're playing poker, not babysitting! Other than technical issues, the 'sitter outer' should recognize the consequences of their sitting out.