Is there such a thing as online poker etiquette?

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I will take advantage of the situation without any hesitation. Absolutely. If my opponent loses the connection, it only means that he was unlucky. If my opponent is unlucky, and there are only two of us at the table, it means that I am lucky, and I will definitely take advantage of this situation.

Dmitriy_rus7

Dmitriy_rus7

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
Do you believe there is an unspoken etiquette that should be followed at the tables online? What do you think is the right thing to do in the situation below?

You have reached heads-up play in an online tournament, but suddenly your opponent goes into a sit-out mode. Will you wait for them to reconnect and get back in the game or you would try to get an advantage of the situation and win as many chips as possible?

4fb540aed9af09682da8a738756b5956.png

Thanks to @iwont20 for this topic suggestion!
I won't wait for him, I'll take the opportunity. we both play and I don't have to wait for him at the table because I don't want to look bad

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
my game went offline many times, which is pretty damn bad, especially in sit and go heads up, when the connection was restored, I was either empty or had very few chips. So were my efforts for others.

Manjerica1

Manjerica1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont remember where I read it but the phrase was "Poker is war, people pretend its a game"

As someone said earlier, if I were a famous streaming while streaming or something related I would wait for create a "honest" image, but folks,

People in the other side wants money, if someone is sitout its their problem not yours, at least I think in that way...

Correletade with the subject, I think when people SlowRoll a hand being nuts and being the last to say in the river its a disrespectfull behavior at plays but 'no one talks about'

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Poker is one of life's mysteries
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Yes, of course, respecting the rules of the game and the players at the table is inseparable from the game of poker, and if it is not that, then it is contrary to the rules and etiquette.
I have no choice. I will take his chips as long as that is possible. I am sitting and I want to play. The opponent is responsible for this absence.

CRStals

CRStals

Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that what goes around, comes around. When this has happened to me, rarely, if ever, have I seen my opponent slow action to give me a chance to come back and I'm usually depleted or out when I do re-connect. When the inverse has happened, depending on where we are at I'll sometimes wait (especially if they are a known player to me who I see often). But ifI don't know them, or I have a note that they do this to me or others, then yes, I'll blind them down as low as I can.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
im polite never once cussed anyone even to self shake head often but ya id take the tournament while gone if could

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It may not be ethical, but I wouldn't wait for my opponent to restore the Internet connection. It's a shame to lose the connection at the final table, but I'm pretty sure that in my place, probably 90% of the players would have done the same thing as me, i.e. they wouldn't have waited for their opponent to reconnect. Especially when it is technically possible to continue the game even in the absence of an opponent.

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Honestly, I can't wait for him to come back, I'll take advantage of his absence to steal the blinds.

Fosterbio

Fosterbio

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MD
Chips
Do you believe there is an unspoken etiquette that should be followed at the tables online? What do you think is the right thing to do in the situation below?

You have reached heads-up play in an online tournament, but suddenly your opponent goes into a sit-out mode. Will you wait for them to reconnect and get back in the game or you would try to get an advantage of the situation and win as many chips as possible?

it's not about etiquette... yes, the person has a problem with communication technology... yes, it's annoying, but I'll use it without thinking, unless we've agreed on it beforehand, like dividing money proportionally to stacks (if such a tournament has such a function) I had a situation when I lost $700 because of a lost connection, but that's my problem. So it's not about etiquette... Etiquette is slowrolling, it's not nice))

Aleksandr1991

Aleksandr1991

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think everyone follows etiquette)

olejean

olejean

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In fact, online poker is ruthless and you never know who you are playing against and how the player would behave if I were in a similar situation. If I knew the opponent was decent and worthy of respect, then I would obviously wait for him to appear online. Otherwise I would get an advantage of the situation.

Flyer35

Flyer35

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I don't believe there is an option to "wait for them to reconnect and get back in the game". You can slow your play down a bit I guess, but your responsibility is to do your best to legally win the game. So that's what I would like to think I would do, go slow, or at least don't insta-bet every hand, but continue 'playing' my best.

It is an interesting question though. I'd like to know what happens in a live tournament if a player NEEDS to run to the bathroom? Or gets a call from a nervous spouse when shots are heard coming from outside their house.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
im in it to win it , and i will play as fast as i can . like someone else posted, ive lost dozens of sngs 'cause my laptop crashed , internet went bad ,or some other issue.

Pabloro10321

Pabloro10321

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I take it as disrespectful that they ignore him and they are absent, so I proceed to steal the chips. And if it's online I don't waste time waiting, since that's what is most needed in poker.

10gerka

10gerka

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The player's goal is to win, and I think I will try to win the chips, I don't know what my opponent's motive is, what I do know is that I shouldn't lose focus on my game and winning is my goal.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I personally don't see myself as having to have any supposed ethics in this specific situation.
I will take full advantage of it, for the simple fact that I prepared myself better for that moment, I know how difficult it is for me to get there and I will not give up any advantage I receive to win.

Gdefender

Gdefender

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I was in this situation several times, when my opponent sat out heads-up! Of course, I was trying to raise as soon as possible on every hand and draw the free pots and win the easy money! :D

Brigistul

Brigistul

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I've never seen a player waiting to reconnect!so I do the same game!

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Nowadays I have to admit that I would not wait , I would keep on playing , calling to steal the blinds . He would do the same on my position . I see this everyday online at the tables that I play or that I watch .

But if I know him and in the past he played with respect towards me , then I would wait , sit out , until he reconnects . In no other case

I only remember once such a case in high stakes when one hu was disconnected or sitting out for a reason , anyway the other didn't continue playing , he reached the pokerstars online help team and they tried to contact the other player . I don't remember what happened in the end . Did they find him or not . What I say is that I can't remember any other case . So why should we talk about it anyway ???? Respectful gameplay among opponents is rare nowadays , especially when the money at stake is a lot .

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This has happened many times to me. Of course try to get as many chips as possible before they get back. You must win! I expect that they will do the same to me. That is just comen practice.

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips

Very fair and ethical, kudos to those still doing it!.And I was there very decently, respectfully and with a lot of patience 👍.
But we don't always live up to expectations and go straight to our goal, maybe we're in a hurry, why don't you have a concession? I have and want your tokens from the beginning 😉😃I have been damaged too many times myself, and in the end we have to take any advantage into account because your good deed can put you aside.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I have had this happen two times! I folded their blinds and kept the same stack till they returned! Both could not believe I did that! Lucky for me I won them both. I would want the same done for me but really doubt that would happen.