Covering your face at the poker table: Strategic or silly?

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I personally don't see anything important in the relationship between clothing and the game itself.
When you play, what really influences you at that moment is your skill and your luck.
I believe that I can be dressed in a paper towel, if I'm going to win, I'll win, if I'm going to lose, I'll lose.
I'm almost a Hindu because I'm so fatalistic.

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Personally I don't mind people using different things to cover their face, eyes or other parts of their body... tbh it's not a bulletproof strategy for preventing tells as sometimes you can pick on some tells because of the use of this items and use it to your advantage(for example- in my HG, a friend is using sunglasses pretty much only when he has a strong starting hand and expects/ wants to be involved in a big pot...); still, I agree with many community members that said that covering too much shouldn't be allowed and sometimes it looks pathetic/ stupid(especially on 'TV' in some huge events...); also, that live poker should be more like a social game- we do have the online poker to hide everything or just play in our underwear lol.

Gdefender

Gdefender

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
I think it's a good thing to cover your face in live poker! Based on myself, I consider it necessary, because I'm afraid I don't have a poker face, and I would betray myself in certain hands, so I cover my eyes and mouth.

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I hesitated, but have chosen a side. Scarves, and sunglasses should be banned at the poker table as they create an overly secretive and distracting environment. Relying on these accessories is kinda a sign of insecurity and lack of confidence in poker skills.

F

fefibecerra

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't really know how effective it is, but I definitely think it looks silly.

A

Axmanace

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Relying on these accessories is kinda a sign of insecurity and lack of confidence in poker skills.

It’s strange - I used to think this. Decided to try custom glasses on a whim after a year of playing live.

I don’t think I can ever go back :p

I feel like people have that bias towards sunglasses users - which can work to your advantage

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Part of live poker is about being able to read and hide emotions, tells etc. If the rules allow it then cool but generally i think coverings shouldnt be allowed

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I was never distracted by my opponents' clothes. Of course, pretty girls always attract my attention, I don't think there are any restrictions to be imposed. I think each of us has the right to wear what we like, the things that make us feel comfortable. I am against restrictions.

Artbart805

Artbart805

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i will on occasion take up the Phil H stance....

x patrice x

x patrice x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think that wearing scarves, sunglasses, etc. takes away what makes poker at the table so special.

It's a bit like online poker. Of course I can understand that players do everything they can to avoid tells, as long as the rules allow it.

That wouldn't be for me.

RhinoRyan89

RhinoRyan89

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think covering the face is used for a tactical advantage and some have taken it whole other level then simply just wearing some shades or a scarf as many have done in the past i find them acceptable.

But full face mask and hoodies covering your whole head or face should not be allowed.

Until an official ruling is made on this in regards to rules people will continue to do as they see fit.

Last edited:
Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
well I started playing some live poker recently & I do all 3 things of mask, sunglasses & hoodie but for different reasons
at least 2 masks > because players smoke alot and Im a non smoker & try to avoid the fumes as much as possible
hoodie > because A/C is too much and I feel very cold, Id much rather play warm and comfortable
glasses > because sometimes my eyes hurt because of the lights being too bright

If just to cover tells Id just use sunglasses