Covering your face at the poker table: Strategic or silly?

userX

userX

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think everyone can dress the way they want. For me, dressing up is better than coming to the tournament naked, but if it's girls I wouldn't mind. I don't think there's anything wrong with players wearing glasses, sweatshirts or scarves, personally, the appearance of my opponents just doesn't have any effect on me :)

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
If it makes some feel good (or bad), not my business😊.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
any kind of masking makes sense if you dont have a poker face. but for me, when playing live, i give off tells on purpose to fool them into thinking what i want them to think. And trust me, it works!

Rost

Rost

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
My opponents' clothes never distract me. I don't care who dresses and how they dress, I care who plays and how they play. If my opponents want to sit at the table wearing scarves, sweatshirts or glasses, it definitely won't bother me :)

Pabloro10321

Pabloro10321

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
There are people with obsessive-compulsive disorder, in that case it's necessary, otherwise I think it's useless.

gustavofuentes2

gustavofuentes2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me. I think those that wear hoodies and try to cover up their faces are like psychos. I keep waiting to see if after they get beat, they start going Freddy Krueger on everyone sitting at their table. I tell you someday it's going to happen so be careful.

Marcwantstowin

Marcwantstowin

Member of the T.S.T
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
For me. I think those that wear hoodies and try to cover up their faces are like psychos. I keep waiting to see if after they get beat, they start going Freddy Krueger on everyone sitting at their table. I tell you someday it's going to happen so be careful.

I played live recently, and there was someone at my table who had a hoodie and sun glasses on. The thing was, I later found out of the 10 at the table 8 of them knew who the player was, only me and one other did not know. I thought up to him I guess, it was only later when the table got more relaxed SHE took her glasses off and shocked me totally. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::eek::eek::eek:

Flyer35

Flyer35

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
If it's legal and not offensive then I have no real difficulty with it. I'm not a fan myself, although the social acceptability of face coverings to prevent the spread of disease in close quarters has become a welcome exception. Some people would likely benefit from hiding facial expressions, twitches or even skin flushing in tricky hand situations. And yes, in those cases you have to wonder if the person is really just hiding their own insecurities. Is a person who drops their sunglasses down over their eyes and pulls their hood up likely playing a hand that causes their blood pressure to rise? Yes, absolutely. Is that a tell? For sure. That all by itself draws attention to themselves. Then it becomes a binary question - are they bluffing or do they have the goods? There's obviously no clear answer but it leads you to look even more closely at their other actions and mannerisms.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It sounds a bit weird but I have heard several pros say that people played differently against them when they were required to wear a mask.

Mortis

Mortis

Bounty Hunter - Fall League 2024
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Personally, I think they're silly if they're trying to hide tells. But they shouldn't be banned. I'm still waiting for someone to dress up like a ninja during the main event.

N

Nate420

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
NZ
Chips
I think the only time it is considered bad etiquette would be on a poker live stream or something of the sort. Otherwise, I think it is fair game. Eyes give away a lot of information in my opinion.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I've seen everything at tables, what I think is that each person does what they want or feel, that's why they have free will, but I'm not in favor, it's a way of hiding fear or believing that they are the best at the table.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
It doesn't matter to me what style of clothing my opponents prefer. What matters to me is their style of play. Can a player's style of dress somehow correlate with their style of play, I think to some extent, in certain cases, yes, it can. Nevertheless, in 99% of cases, I play only online and I don't care how my opponents are dressed.

riff_raff312

riff_raff312

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I not sure what this dose to help them play or if it is to distract others, for me it dose nothing play naked for all care just play. I hate players who just sit there and look at the cards hoping they will change to better ones,come on it is what it is play.

lcid86

lcid86

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Not a problem. I've seen the glasses backfire when they had to take them on and off to see their cards. Hoodie can also get uncomfortable and can also make it hard to hear.

olejean

olejean

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I don't see a problem with such manner of playing. I believe that the main, and perhaps the only obstacle at the table may be distracting maneuvers of the player which psychologically press on the opponent: excessive physical movements or excessive verbal altercations.

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I think that wearing an accessory or something to hide your emotions is a choice and should not be prohibited.

Facial features change depending on the situation and can give a reading and an estimate of the strength of the opposing hand.

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
It seems to me that it is a strategy, if at some point I get to play a live tournament I would definitely apply this strategy

maronza1

maronza1

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BW
Chips
I never played a live poker, but covering your face at poker table is silly. I think everyone should be just normal, should be just themselves.

seiya1989

seiya1989

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It wouldn't make any sense to ban the use of glasses or any garment that people decide to wear, they are not breaking any rules, if one day I played in a big event I would definitely wear glasses

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I believe that the style of dress of the players should be free in most cases, I don't think there is a need for a dress code. Personally, I have never been distracted by the clothes of my opponents, I honestly didn't even think about who was dressed how, it doesn't matter to me at all.

km1n

km1n

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
it could be a good strategy to hide some tells but after all u shoudnt need if u are good enought

Spielkind

Spielkind

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
everys own decision--if u nervous, a scarf around your neck--covers heart beating--glasses for wibbeling eyes....its sometimes funny, sometimes necessary...

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think it is silly and for me is useless.
I have made faces all my life and have learned different faces reflect different moods and what a person is thinking. So I can make facial expressions that are inconsistent with my actual feeling. I.E. a confused look inviting a call when I have a strong hand. Stuff like that. Even I am surprised at how effective it is.