What would you do when your hands are beaten every time?

hobojim1247

hobojim1247

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would be cautious and get involved with him only with nut or near nut hands. I would also get a seat change so I play after him.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're sitting at a cash game and this one player keeps beating you continuously, no matter what you have and no matter what he's holding. He has called your raises every time and beat your prime hands with any junk cards.
What should you do?

de04e848162c8b58feefb45345cf28fe.png

Leave the table? Stay out of his way? Or keep trying to get your money back from him?

Thanks to @najisami for this topic idea
It all depends on your specific goals--if entertainment plays a big part in your goals then avoid that player and play on if you can still enjoy the game.
If your goal is to make money and the other player is interfering with that then you need to get up from the table.
Lastly we can max exploit vs a player running hot vs us by pot controlling and only playing big pots when we have the nuts. Patience is the key-- we can over fold and under raise our hands waiting for the time when they cool off and we take their stack. Very few players run hot for a long time it just seems that way when we are playing live as we see 25 hands per hour. It is not uncommon for some of us to have to play 10 hrs or more before we can avoid the short term variance that can occur.
lastly some might argue that deviating from standard play is giving up EV they are correct--- however the EV they refer to is theoretical- in live games where a player is giving away large amounts of EV by making big mistakes our approach to them moves from range EV to ROI---What that means is if they will stack off with 0% equity in spots frequently we seldom have to play the 51% spots vs them

gena31

gena31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
If all my pocket cards brought me defeat, then the best option would be to end the game and move it to the next day.

RhinoRyan89

RhinoRyan89

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I would stay if i felt the player in ? was just a fish on a heater and feel im not super out matched.

But i felt the player in ? was playing at a strong level and seems to be able to read me like a book i would leave the table.

And live to fight another day

riff_raff312

riff_raff312

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have been in this situation many times and don't like it so,i would just move to another or try another game all together. One thing i've learned over the years is when you'er on a down swing get out fast while you still have cash.

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NL
Chips
I would first of all analyze my own play.
Am I maybe playing to wide of a range ?
How about my bet sizing ?
If I have the feeling I shoujd adjust there , I will adjust and keep playing.
If I have the feeling it's just really bad luck I think I will take a break and leave the table.

But also important is to analyze his/her play.
Are they just lucky with junkhands ? I will definitely continue.
Can I get a read ? When do they just call ? When do they raise ?

So many aspects to consider.

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I prefer to stay because I know that after a few hours things will get better.

Balou1982

Balou1982

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Well if i´m sitting on a cash table holding prime hands and always loosing against this lucky maniac, it might be the best option to leave the table and save my money. Perhaps you can try also to play 5 hands on and stay out of his way but i think this can bring you also in trouble when you holding a monster that you wont lay down against him or 2 villains ... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Marshmalo1994

Marshmalo1994

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
What should you do?

Leave the table? Stay out of his way? Or keep trying to get your money back from him?​
If I don't tilt, I'd keep playing if I think that I'm playing right. I'd try to get something back

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Dark Lord of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You're sitting at a cash game and this one player keeps beating you continuously, no matter what you have and no matter what he's holding. He has called your raises every time and beat your prime hands with any junk cards.
What should you do?

Leave the table? Stay out of his way? Or keep trying to get your money back from him?

I stay out of his way. Poker is not about leveling. But when I have equity I will play with him. If I got pocket aces I go all in everytime. If he beats me calling with 76s good for him. I hope he continues counting on luck. I will keep counting on logic and cold heart decision making.

bapfel

bapfel

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I would play very tight, waiting for my chance. Often in this situation the player would fold after reraising, so I would simply call and call his attacks on every street and reraise the river.

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
Wow 🤩 what a question. I would definitely try to have a premium hand before I enter a pot with the villain. His luck will run out eventually. I love maniacs.

D

dersun313

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
TW
Chips
你坐在現金遊戲中,這個玩家不斷擊敗你,無論你有什麼牌,也無論他拿著什麼牌。他每次都會跟注你的加註,並用任何垃圾牌擊敗你的優質牌。
你應該做什麼?

離開桌子嗎?離他遠一點?還是繼續試圖從他那裡拿回你的錢?

感謝 @najisami 提出這個主題的想法
Just get up and walk and look for an opponent to win.

WrongUsername

WrongUsername

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
quit the table i don´t play to lose i play to win.

laihuynh

laihuynh

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VN
Chips
I have encountered this situation and it is very annoying. I also want to hear advice from you

Toruk Makto

Toruk Makto

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The right thing to do would be to miss out on the next few hands! If not, the tendency is to go crazy kkk

Rost

Rost

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I can always easily control my emotional state. In such a situation, I would definitely just leave the table. Continuing the game would be a bad decision, and I don't like bad decisions :)

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It depends! Of course the first will is to take my revenge. This means that I must carefully focus in the game and try to reverse the situation. Usually it works, or at least the situation reaches a balance!

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Stay out of his way for the most part, while watching him. Wait for a good hand to set him up and use his aggression against him. At least that is what I would try to do.
take note of his tendencies, any tells, then catch him on them!

x patrice x

x patrice x

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
The decisive factor for me would be whether my raises and best hands are called and won with marginal hands.

If he/she is a gambler with outrageous luck, for example if he/she wins against me with 7-2, I will stay seated until he/she leaves the table.
Over time, the tables will turn!

However, if his/her game is acceptable, but the luck factor is constantly striking, I would consider calling it a day and going home or trying my luck at another table.

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
What should you do?

smash laptop or phone leave and go buy a new one

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What should you do?

if is against a reg, probably leave the table, because the tilt possibility is high on me, and my game don't need to be just against him. But if is a fish just with some lucky, put more focus on the table (especially if is a chinese or russian on plo cash in gg) and let's play

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands