M

MF.Brn

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Skill, you can't rely solely on luck, you may even win in the short term, but not much time that saves is a skill

istbno

istbno

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Success in poker blends both skill and luck, creating a unique environment where players can influence outcomes through their decisions while also navigating the inherent randomness of the game. Skill elements include strategic understanding, psychological insight, mathematical proficiency, and disciplined bankroll management. These skills allow players to make better decisions, giving them an edge over less experienced opponents. However, luck plays a significant role, especially in the short term, as the randomness of card distribution can sway outcomes. Over the long run, skill tends to predominate, with consistent strategy and decision-making yielding positive results. Thus, while luck determines the outcome of any single hand, skill is the predominant factor in long-term success.

chicbulls2

chicbulls2

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
There had to be a bit od luck by your side

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By my private opinion, this is an eternal question! In Poker, as and in Life, Everything is interconnected!One flows from the other and back again! That's it!

W

WaffleCone

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Most certainly both, without luck, unmatched skill can get lost in playing too nitty. Without skill, luck can bring players success without understanding how or why. Both luck and skill are necessary because it allows a skilled player to have luck with a hand that possibly isn't ranked highly at a time necessary. Poker is all about timing.

ztibor72

ztibor72

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
In the long run, skill is more important than luck.
I think skill 80% - luck 20%

CataRouillet

CataRouillet

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
For me, poker is a game of skill. But you're always going to have times when you're going to need a little luck.

Sintubai

Sintubai

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Skill helps you a lot in the game, but also is necessary a little bit of luck and so much persistence to beat the variance and bring sucess in poker!👽

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well I'll put it this way, I would rather be lucky than skilled in poker. :)

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Skill certainly counts for much more. But without the deck's luck in the decisive moments, there's no way to stay on top.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
No matter how much we would like to count on the favor of fortune, only skills and abilities directly affect victory at the gaming table.Poker teaches patience, quickly making the right decisions, trains emotional and physical endurance, intuition, attentiveness, and memory. After all, tournaments can last several hours, and require concentration, fluency in playing techniques, and self-control. To achieve success, you must not only build a strategy and tactics for your own game, but also change them, adapting to other players, and be flexible. And this needs to be learned.

S

s0ftdumps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
depends how you play really, if you are the type that goes in with any hand, and you catch on the draws, then i would say lucky, if you analyse the players and know when your hand is good, then there is some skill involved.
Luck plays a significant role in the short term, skilled players understand the importance of analyzing opponents, reading situations, and making strategic decisions based on probabilities and psychology. It's the combination of these factors that separates luck from skill in the game of poker.

A

Ami_WPT Global

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
The volume you play is crucial to ascertain your skill level. Low volume = high variance (aka luck).

IADaveMark

IADaveMark

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
"Why do you think the same five guys make it to the final table of the world series of poker EVERY YEAR? What, are they the luckiest guys in Las Vegas?"
-- Mike McDermott, Rounders

ninocabral

ninocabral

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
without a doubt skill, with luck you will win one or another tournament, and the skill that will make you profitable in poker

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Definitely skills.
Players at the professional level cannot afford to rely on luck only. It is not by chance that they mostly sit there on the final tables.
But luck is unavoidable, even the best player can be a loser if luck is not on his side.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In the long run skill beats luck..

However, the short term bad luck can through you off your A Game.

NSX_Amfe2nat

NSX_Amfe2nat

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Short distance = luck. Long distance = skill+luck

black and

black and

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
My opinion:
Skill (skills) - 70% Luck (Pruha) - 30%
I think this ratio is 50%/50%. And luck is an important factor, and skills. But it is obvious that we also need to take into account our experience, which clearly, to a certain extent, affects both our skills and our luck.

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In general, I think that at a distance, skill is a more important factor than luck. But it is also obvious that without luck it is impossible to achieve a good result. I think the ratio of skill to luck is about 75%/25%.

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my opinion, skill is essential to be able to lead to success!

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
None. Success depends on marketing and money.
But if you're talking about making money and being an outlier, it also doesn't depend on either.:)
You have to make an effort, give your blood and live it, just for that and for that alone. You have to break your face a thousand times and never give up. And having skill and luck is just a small fraction, it doesn't even compare to real effort.