john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What are your thoughts on this?
Well, a lot depends on luck. That's understandable! And the less big blinds you have, the more you depend on luck. Your skills are the ability to play correctly with 20 or more big blinds. Success in poker depends on both skills and luck. :cool:

Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Skill is more important of course, but luck is essential to winning a tournament too.

M

Misanthrop

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
on the shortrun its luck, on the longrun its skill...

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's luck, and having a lot of money to play big tournaments.

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What are your thoughts on this?
Hi
70/30. Something like this, in my opinion, is the ratio of skill to luck. In general, opinions on this matter may differ, but I do not think that this is a question of any kind of discussion. It is only obvious that both of these factors are important and necessary :)

Dasha_21

Dasha_21

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think the 50/50 rule works here.

DiazPoker3101

DiazPoker3101

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
believe that in the short term, there is luck involved, but in the long term, skill prevails.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Skills on long term and luck on a short one

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
You can get lucky once, but to win often you need skill.

W

Wega85

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
50% skill and 40% luck 10% pray to poker gods;)

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Even if you have monsters like AA, KK, QQ in your hands, without the proper skill you will not be able to realize them to the maximum, so in my opinion the necessary skills play a key role in the game of poker!!!

B

bababooey

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
It has been proven that poker is a skill game but in order to be more skilful than others you will have to put the work in to get better.

The 10,000 hour rule although I don't think you would need to spend that much studying poker to become better than others as they will not be studying anywhere near the amount you should.

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
My opinion:
Skill (skills) - 70% Luck (Pruha) - 30%
From my experience, I can say that this ratio is probably 50-50. This is not a static ratio, it is a dynamic ratio that changes in one direction or another every time.

roberto51

roberto51

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Poker is a combination of luck and skill. People think that mastering skill is difficult, but they are wrong. The art of poker is mastering luck." Jesse May.Perfectly on point.

888NOX888

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Without a doubt, a good poker player must have both skill and luck. Luck will help you in a desperate situation, and thanks to your skill you will beat weaker players.

Mag_P1e

Mag_P1e

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I don’t remember whose idea this was, but not mine) Poker now, at this second - is 20% skill and 80% luck. Poker at a distance - 80% skill and 20% luck!

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
To be successful in poker in the long run, you have to have skill, consistency, and patience.

Yeah, once in awhile a lucky player with little skill can win a tourney, but not long-term.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need both to have success in poker, but in the long run I think you need more skill than luck.

TulasMoreno

TulasMoreno

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MX
Chips
Its always skills, never luck, never!! How you can explain great players have millions in earnings? Good luck plays one day, not always!

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Poker is ultimately a skill game. Yes, there is luck involved but that luck is mathematically based. For example, how many times do you hear a bad beat story (because I have TONS of them) where villian hit a two outter on the river? With those two outs, villian had approximately a 5% chance of winning (a little less but I am making the math easy), so out of 100 times, villian should win about 5 of them and hero should win 95. So, while in that circumstance the villian got "lucky" and hero got "unlucky", the reality is that hero is probably a better player than villian and over the course of many hands will be able to outplay villian. This same principal applies to pretty much all aspects of poker (except for physical tells, betting patterns, experience, intelligence and a few other things). Each player will get roughly the same distribution of cards over a long period so it really comes down to how skillfully each player plays his hand, how well he judges his opponents and adapts his game to optimally play against them. So, while getting "lucky" or "unlucky" here and there happens, don't let it affect your game. Study, practice and get better.

D

Dougana

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
You need boths. Skills 70%, luck 30%.